Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time Spent Working For Free

Options
  • 01-02-2012 9:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭

Hi, i have just started a small web development company on the side, on top of my main daily job.

I will be developing 10 - 15 websites a year for a company in the UK and i will be paid in sterling.

I have just finished a website for a friend who i have agreed to do for free. It has taken me 4 weeks to design and develop it. The website did not cost be anything to build it so i don't really have any expense for it, HOWEVER, is there a way that i can expense for the time i have spent working on it for free... i spent 2 full weekends working on it, thanks in advance...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,800 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Short answer is no. You can write yourself a cheque to pay yourself for your hard work if you like, but you will have to pay PAYE and PRSI on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭oo7

Short answer is no. You can write yourself a cheque to pay yourself for your hard work if you like, but you will have to pay PAYE and PRSI on it.

Ok, thanks... that method would probably end up costing me more... it annoys me that I spend so much time working on these and have to give half of it away to tax

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Zonua

oo7 wrote: »
    Ok, thanks... that method would probably end up costing me more... it annoys me that I spend so much time working on these and have to give half of it away to tax
    But if you did the website for free, half of free is free, so you don't lose anything there to tax.

If you do a job for free, then you can't possibly get any tax back. You can only offset against your tax if you paid money.

Tax is about money, not time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭km991148

If the OP did incur expenses tho (i.e. travel to discuss requirements etc), would these be allowable?

Advertisement