Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

10,000 a week joining dole queues

• 01-02-2012 10:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭

More than 10,000 people have joined the dole queues every week since the beginning of the new year, the latest figures show.
    Despite the massive jump in numbers claiming jobseeker allowances, officials said there was a slight drop overall in the number of people signing.

Read more: http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/local-national/republic-of-ireland/10000-a-week-joining-dole-queues-16111910.html#ixzz1lAPDa07e

Ok i find them stats terribly frightening,so who are they hiring in these new jobs around the country? And who are the ten thousand a week joining the dole queues?

Business lobby group Ibec warned that the live register numbers remain exceptionally high. Fergal O'Brien, the organisation's chief economist,

You dont say :rolleyes:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭LighterGuy

And according to some 'recession is over' :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭MickySticks

The recession is over, the economy can't recess anymore which basically means things can't get any worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭greimorm

LighterGuy wrote: »

Oh didnt you know we were over it and it came back apparently :D

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

You can still be out of recession and have high un-employment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭patwicklow

It will be 20-30 years before the recession is over the country is going into lock down with higher bills higher prices the money is being robbed out of are pockets
    every day by the eu and wont get any better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,253 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

The recession is over, the economy can't recess anymore which basically means things can't get any worse.

Greece says Hi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭senorwipesalot

greimorm wrote: »
    More than 10,000 people have joined the dole queues every week since the beginning of the new year, the latest figures show.
    Despite the massive jump in numbers claiming jobseeker allowances, officials said there was a slight drop overall in the number of people signing.

Read more: http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/local-national/republic-of-ireland/10000-a-week-joining-dole-queues-16111910.html#ixzz1lAPDa07e

Ok i find them stats terribly frightening,so who are they hiring in these new jobs around the country? And who are the ten thousand a week joining the dole queues?

Business lobby group Ibec warned that the live register numbers remain exceptionally high. Fergal O'Brien, the organisation's chief economist,

You dont say :rolleyes:
    In other news,sales of Dutch Gold and Scrumpy Jack skyrocket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Its not 10,000 a week all losing their jobs, you also have;

- People returning home from abroad

- Immigration

- Kids turning 18 and coming in straight away to sign on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

The 10 or something job plan, proposed by the new government seems to work so? The new elected minister for jobs kept all his promises?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Sure is it not signs of the laziness of Ireland. Isn't there thousands of jobs out there that people just aren't bothering to look for. Back in my day (...) they should bugger off and emigrate (...) FOOTBALLERS WAGES FOR THE UNEMPLOYED!

Etc.

etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

10k joined per week but there's less on the dole overall. I think that means that there's been a reduction in unemployment. Amazing how writing something in a stupid way can make a certain type of person react without thinking.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,534 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

patwicklow wrote: »
    It will be 20-30 years before the recession is over

Do you know what a recession is?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

It could also have to do with the fact that it's January and those hired for the Christmas period only are going back on now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭senorwipesalot

Recession-when you lose your job
    Depression-when I lose my job

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Cianos wrote: »
    It could also have to do with the fact that it's January and those hired for the Christmas period only are going back on now.

It's actually February.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭LighterGuy

You can still be out of recession and have high un-employment.

Yes you can :)
    But companies are still closing down, people still on the dole, more people signing on.

I just think its a foolish statement to say recession is over knowing how things are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

Terrible
    I am one who keeps saying that this must be the bottom and the only way is up, but I keep getting disappointed.

Hopilly I am right this time, I have to be right sometime!.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 shaneh408

dispible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭lividduck

Yes you can :)
    But companies are still closing down, people still on the dole, more people signing on.

I just think its a foolish statement to say recession is over knowing how things are.
    Any period where there is recorded economic growth is not a recession. In economics a recession is a period of two consecutive quaters of negative economic growth, consequently Ireland is NOT in a recession!

it is however economically banjaxed!:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭patwicklow

Sure do mate been through enough of them, this country is owned now so forget about coming out of it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

Is there some new way of being able to claim jobseeker allowances without signing anything :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

shaneh408 wrote: »
    dispible

+1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭greimorm

Mike 1972 wrote: »
    Is there some new way of being able to claim jobseeker allowances without signing anything :confused:

What :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Cianos wrote: »
    Extend the Christmas shopping period. Sorted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Mike 1972 wrote: »

Sure how would you sign on then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Stuck Cone

YFlyer wrote: »

Biometrics

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

The Belfast Telegraph is a unionist paper so of course they're going to diss the Republic. Especially in the wake of Martin McGuinness's comments about his desire to hold a referendum on reunification by 2016. In his comments, he stated that economically the North and Republic together would be economically better for the North than the North being in the UK.

However, if 10,000 people are joining the dole queues weekly, then that doesn't really matter if 10,001 are coming off it weekly thereby making real figures actually decrease.

But it suits the Telegraph to spin it a certain way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

It will be 20-30 years before the recession is over the country is going into lock down with higher bills higher prices the money is being robbed out of are pockets
    Don't be bloody ridiculous pat!
    It will be a least twice that.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭LoanShark

20-30 years!!!!!! But my Arse is already hurting from the amount of times I'm being rode in my pay cheque at the moment... How am I gonna put up with it for that long??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

10,000 extra a week? Thats a massive queue.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

I was with a friend today when a man she knows stopped to chat to her. She asked him how work was going and he said that he'd been laid off a few weeks ago because business was slow. When he left I asked her where he'd worked as I hadn't recognised the business name. He worked in an undertakers. People must be hanging onto life because they can't afford to die! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

deccurley wrote: »
    Its not 10,000 a week all losing their jobs, you also have;

- People returning home from abroad

- Immigration

- Kids turning 18 and coming in straight away to sign on

If you're going to do Government PR and mention people turning 18 signing on for the first time, you also have to factor in people turning 65 or otherwise "signing off"

Likewise with "immigration" - you left out "emigration"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

The unemployment rate is down for the month of January according to the times and indo yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

More than 10,000 people have joined the dole queues every week ............ officials said there was a slight drop overall in the number of people signing.

In other news
    10,001 people emigrate every week

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

YFlyer wrote: »

So what they are saying is, their has been a huge increase in numbers signing on, claiming JA but numbers have slightly dropped signing on all together?
    .Despite the massive jump in numbers claiming jobseeker allowances, officials said there was a slight drop overall in the number of people signing.

:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭saywhatyousee

Ironically i was just remarking earlier to my friends it been years since i seen so many jobs advertised in the local paper 2 and a half pages.It was split nicely as well between skilled and unskilled we need both because there is a lot of people on the dole who are unskilled

Advertisement