Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bending Alluminium masts

• 01-02-2012 10:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭

Yes I know the usual problem is how to take a bend out of a mast but I have a couple of mirror dinghy masts that I need to bend for a frame.
    I know heat doesn't work so had anyone suggestions apart from brute force.
    I don't want to kink them and the bend is fairly gentle but has to be even.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭davlacey

you could rent or get a lend of a pipe benders. aluminum is fairly soft so it they willl bend easy just get the right size former http://hirehere.ie/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=404

• Registered Users Posts: 46 orion50

All you are doing is an over-size version of what a steel fixer does, so apply the same principles - set up a (was going to say little) jig using strong reinforcing bars to jam the mast in place while you rotate the part you want to bend to a set position. Do the same thing with the next one and adjust the jig to get the required bend. No brute force just steady pressure. Easy.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

To bend it without kinking it you will need a long spring to fit inside the pipe nice and snug, lower it down the pipe to where you want to bend it with a bit of string so you can pull it back out then, draw your bend onto a block of wood and cut it out and fix it to your gig "flat bit of wood":D place your tubing on one side and hold it in place with another block of wood and start to bend don't try to bend from the middle or it will kink.

Ready-to-bend.jpg

The springs look like this but as you are bending a mast you might find it hard to get one to fit so maybe if you tape 3 or 5 of them together it might work. You can get these in B&Q or any plumbing shop but I think they only go up to 32mm if you are not too far off with that you can put some flexible clear plastic tubing over the spring to give you a few more mm.

Bending_Spring.jpg

Best of luck.

Advertisement