Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apartment and office rent in South Dublin

Options
  • 01-02-2012 10:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

Hi,

I am looking to add a second Dublin office to my business and relocate to Dublin.
    I am looking at:
    1) A two bedroom apartment, where one of the rooms is an office
    2) An apartment with a seperate small office somewhere else

I have two questions that I can't find on Daft.ie.
    Can anyone give info on:
    - apartments that have offices to let on the ground floor?
    - two bed apartments in Dublin that are furnished with one bedroom and one office?

Apartment to be located preferably in: [Rathmines, Ranelagh, Ballsbridge] or even [Dundrum, Sandyford, Stillorgan]
    but all opinions considered.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

msvalhalla wrote: »
    Hi,

I am looking to add a second Dublin office to my business and relocate to Dublin.
    I am looking at:
    1) A two bedroom apartment, where one of the rooms is an office
    2) An apartment with a seperate small office somewhere else

I have two questions that I can't find on Daft.ie.
    Can anyone give info on:
    - apartments that have offices to let on the ground floor?
    - two bed apartments in Dublin that are furnished with one bedroom and one office?

Apartment to be located preferably in: [Rathmines, Ranelagh, Ballsbridge] or even [Dundrum, Sandyford, Stillorgan]
    but all opinions considered.

Thanks

Maybe have a look at Island Key on East Road in East Wall.

Slightly fits the bill as in it has offices on ground floor (none have been taken up though), but it is an unfinished estate (not in NAMA though).

Hi OP,

Will clients be visiting your office or will it be a home office?

• Registered Users Posts: 32 msvalhalla

@bobbysands81
    Cheers for the info, I've been curious about East Wall area. I'd probably avoid it though, if I am the only one in the office block, then it would be more efficient having a home office. Main reason for non-home office is to avoid cabin fever and have a nice office environment for clients.

@whoopsadaisydoodles
    Either/or, I am open to any suggestion. Ideally I would want it suitable for client visits, but this is probably unlikely with a "home office" in the apartment. I am more likely to spend the extra rent to have a good seperate office location with other small businesses (like an incubation center).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

Most if not all apartments wont allow you to have a commerical business running from them as per their planning permission so I think you need to look at accomadaion and an office seperatly of course some aprtment blocks will have ground floor offices aswell but thats probably the most likely thing you will need to look for,

I will be renting an apartment in Shankill, it will be available in three weeks. It is a 3 bedroom apartment 100 metres from the dart station. We previously used one of the bedrooms as a home office. If you would like any further details drop me a pm :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,400 ✭✭✭✭Victor

You should look for a work-live unit that has dual planning permission.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DubDani

You could try Grandecentral/Rockbrook in Sandyford. They advertise that they let Live and work Units with separate Office spaces.

http://www.myhome.ie/lettings/brochure/grande-central-1-bed-plus-office-rockbrook-sandyford/1769788

http://www.hookemacdonald.ie/show-prop.aspx?id=462731#nojump

@D3PO and @Victor
    Good info, never knew that, the lingo should help with searches. I should avoid major issues with this as I have (and will have) an existing primary business address and office.

@whoopsadaisydoodles
    Thanks for the offer, not in my preferred area, but I may contact if interested.

@DubDani
    Thanks for pulling out these links, this is right up my alley and reasonably priced. If anyone knows anything like this further north it would be perfect, i.e. between Dundrum and Rathmines?

After the feedback and my own conclusions, I will most likely stick with an apartment placed between Dundrum and Rathmines and a seperate office somewhere else in town.
    - Any info on "bedroom with office" apartments between Dundrum and Rathmines (between N81 and N11 preferably)?
    - Any info on non-vacant business centres with rentable offices of 10-15 sq metres (one or two desks) anywhere inside Dun Laoghaire, Sandyford, Harolds Cross and East Point?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,400 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Any info on non-vacant business centres with rentable offices of 10-15 sq metres (one or two desks) anywhere inside Dun Laoghaire, Sandyford, Harolds Cross and East Point?
    That's a single room. Might a serviced office situation be useful. Work from home, but if you need to meet people, use the serviced office

http://www.regus.ie
    http://www.fitzbiz.com/
    http://www.servicedofficesdublin.ie/
    http://www.clarendonhouse.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

@bobbysands81
    Cheers for the info, I've been curious about East Wall area. I'd probably avoid it though, if I am the only one in the office block, then it would be more efficient having a home office. Main reason for non-home office is to avoid cabin fever and have a nice office environment for clients.

@whoopsadaisydoodles
    Either/or, I am open to any suggestion. Ideally I would want it suitable for client visits, but this is probably unlikely with a "home office" in the apartment. I am more likely to spend the extra rent to have a good seperate office location with other small businesses (like an incubation center).

No probs but Island Key has work/live apartments that combine office area and living area. Might be worth a look, might not!

• Advertisement

@bobbysands81
    Good to know that Island Key has them furnished this way. Im interested in checking them out, cant find any for rent on the market yet though. Sofar, only Sandyford and Island Key seem to have this work-live units?

@Victor
    Yes, serviced office is along the lines of what I need. I was searching Enterprise centres and Incubation centres as that is where I originally started out. But serviced office is giving me a lot more relevant material. I had come across regus alright but their website is awful. Completely generic crap, you have to probe them to get prices. Thanks for the other links though, they are giving me good options. PS. Have you seen Dogpatch labs and Amworks? Great idea and they look plush, but maybe a bit too informal for the stage of my business. I need a permanent private office.

Here is my two cents back to the thread:

OFFICE
    Heres a link of an incomplete list of enterprise/incubation centres in the city:
    http://www.dcebenterpriseguide.com/enterprise-space/Enterprise-Centres

These places are always worth a call, cos if they are not full, they are only delighted to facilitate fresh businesses (as long as you are doing more than bog standard services/products).
    We have software products and services for the renewable sector so we generally get a warm reception from these type of centres.

In my opinion enterprise/incubation centres are a lot nicer and are interested in creating relationships with businesses once you fit their profile. In the end it is a gain for their image if you are going places and your business has been associated with them.
    On the other hand Regus etc. have a strictly professional operation where they are interested in their profits. Nothing wrong with this as long as you are aware of it.

If I can I will try and get a spot in an incubation centre, they give good access to business courses/workshops etc.

APARTMENT
    Doing some recon in dundrum, rathmines, ranelagh today (might give East Wall a spin if I have time outside of the rugby match). I have to say, the Daft.ie iPad app is great. You can view all available apartments that suit your needs on a google map, which shows you your location as your moving.

Was in the sandyford apartments last night, great layout and management have gotten their act together in the last year so not a bad place if you want a bedroom/office setup. Just too far out for me.

Had great hopes for Rathmines square apartments with the access to the new swimming pool and more. But reading scary experiences on Boards.ie. If anyone has heard of an improvement in these I would be grateful to hear it?

Was considering excellent new apartments and value in Inchicore, Kilmainham etc., but again from other threads I don't wan't the hassle of looking over my shoulder, or worrying about apartment/car breakins.

Any comments on the above is welcomed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

D3PO wrote: »
    Most if not all apartments wont allow you to have a commerical business running from them as per their planning permission so I think you need to look at accomadaion and an office seperatly of course some aprtment blocks will have ground floor offices aswell but thats probably the most likely thing you will need to look for,

This is all true, there is also the issue with common area insurance potentially being invalidated if you don't have an apartment with it's own front door (you would be bringing clients through common areas for commercial purposes). And finally there's the issue of rates which would be due on an office being operated in an apartment.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Advertisement