Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lost WEP for wireless network!

Options
  • 01-02-2012 10:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭

Hi all,
    Aside from resetting the password is there ANY way I can find out what the password is for a wireless network. There are a few computers connected to it and since I didn't set the password I can't remember it. Neither can the person who set it up! ARRGHHH! :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,501 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Plug a network cable into the router (other end into a laptop) and go to the config screen (e.g. 192.168.1.254 for Eircom). You can get the key there in the Wireless section.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Lovelyboy

Thanks Mr E,
    I think that was attempted but because of filtering (maybe?) we couldn't access the config screen. Could there be any other reason for it?

Different ISPs have different config IP addresses. I think Vodafone are 192.168.2.1 (or 1.2) etc. What is your ISP?

Erm... I don't know. Apologies for my ignorance. How would I go about finding out do you know?

Actually I think the config IP is linked with the router type rather than the ISP. What brand of router is it? Make and model if you can get them...

Edit: You can find out the configuration IP by plugging your network cable into the router and laptop, and typing ipconfig on the command line on your laptop. The value on the "Default Gateway" is the IP address for the router.

• Advertisement

It's a netgear but I haven't got the exact model. I'll find out tomorrow. When I get the model what's the next step?:confused:

Read my "edit" in the post above yours. :)

You're a star... thanks a million for the info! Much appreciated.

Advertisement