Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

IE's 071 Class.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭n0brain3r

082 worked a Ballina bound IWT roaring through Sallins about 10:40. I really hope they don't get displaced by the 201's! Is their any reason IE don't allow the 071 in multiple? Both in notch 8 thundering through is a sound I'd like to experience up close :)

073 ran light through Sallins for Newbridge about an hour ago pic attached but its not great and a couple more pics of 084 and 082 in Sallins from Monday

287867.JPG

287868.JPG

082 worked a DP bound IWT passing Sallins at 12:25

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭metrovick001

077 worked a Ballina bound IWT trough Sallins a few moments ago and I think it was 071 on the wagon transfer earlier today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭metrovick001

n0brain3r wrote: »
    082 worked a Ballina bound IWT roaring through Sallins about 10:40. I really hope they don't get displaced by the 201's! Is their any reason IE don't allow the 071 in multiple? Both in notch 8 thundering through is a sound I'd like to experience up close :)
    Weight issues as far as I know. But I'm sure I read not too long ago that they're now allowed in multiple on the Cork line, along with the 201s.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭CaptainFreedom

Karsini wrote: »
    Weight issues as far as I know. But I'm sure I read not too long ago that they're now allowed in multiple on the Cork line, along with the 201s.

Not so sure, the railtour last summer had 2, but only 1 could be powered up at a time. I doubt there is a service train, passenger or freight that would need 2 though

Not so sure, the railtour last summer had 2, but only 1 could be powered up at a time. I doubt there is a service train, passenger or freight that would need 2 though

I think that was required due to the lack of run around facilities on the route it did look impressive though.

I was asking as 084 had such trouble hauling a heavy IWT out of Dublin Port and possibly damaged a traction motor. I was thinking 2 071's would of had more grip as together they would have more driving wheels or am I misunderstanding the issue? It also highlights the waste of the non pp 201's rotting in Inchicore my understanding is these are a more advanced loco with wheel slip prevention etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

With IE putting more Mk4s into storage and even with 13 201s out of service and 1 in for heavy overhaul they could still put 201s on all the freight liners if they wanted to.

The issue with double heading I believe is down to a combination of weight, axle loading and the number of powered bogies in a small track area.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

The 2 071s were not both coupled at the same time.

The train left Cork for Cobh with a 071 leading. After some time the second 071 followed it to Cobh. The second 071 then hauled the train back to Cork leaving the first 071 to follow behind it.

They where coupled together for the trip down and back they only uncoupled in Cork to allow the,train work the branch and the second 071 followed to retrieve it. I think the wanderer has pics and there was a YouTube video of it passing Kildare iirc

Yep they were coupled together for the trip down and back, it was locos 071 and 073.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/be216cd1/9331143066/in/set-72157626133150257

071 releasing 073 to follow up behind the train.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/be216cd1/9328348813/in/set-72157626133150257/

At the time, I was told that it was because they couldn't guarantee that it would work as the multiple working equipment hadn't been serviced - they never needed to use it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭bikeman1

Having 2 071s on last years tour was not a coincidence and was sought for by the organisers. It was a great sight to see and train to have.

It was a great day and thanks again to the IRRS and RPSI, and of course IE for keeping the 071s in traffic and working well.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 nerve agent

078 worked the 22:20 SO Connolly to Dundalk Light Engine on 11/01/14. Fresh from Inchicore, the protective plastic was still on the cab seats. It should be on the Tara from Monday.

Thanks for that. Interesting that it took a year from it's body overhaul and repaint to enter service and when it did it ended up with two orange fan covers from another 071 like some of the other black and silver 071s have and NIR's 112. That's 17 out of 18 071s active, long time since that has been the case. Hope the other grey 071s get the cab numbers added like 078 and 085.

Thanks for that. Interesting that it took a year from it's body overhaul and repaint to enter service and when it did it ended up with two orange fan covers from another 071 like some of the other black and silver 071s have and NIR's 112. That's 17 out of 18 071s active, long time since that has been the case. Hope the other grey 071s get the cab numbers added like 078 and 085.

087 is not far behind :)

What was 087 withdrawn for originally? Or did she just become a "christmas tree"

What was 087 withdrawn for originally? Or did she just become a "christmas tree"

Just in worse condition than expected, 'should' have been black and silver, maybe

• Advertisement

Back in 2006-8 there were rumors of plans to withdraw/scrap 4-6 of the 071s as 12 of them went in for the freight livery repaints, as it turned out 14 got repaints but not all got overhauls at the time. 077,078,084 and 087 were the 4 locos that were destined to be withdrawn first with a possible 2 more later on. As it happened plans changed and 084 refused to go quietly.

081 ran light engine through Sallins for Newbridge about 20 mins ago there's a DP bound IWT in the loop didn't see the loco but it's been worked by 201's the last couple of days.

288802.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭martin_g

071s can work in multiple but is forbidden under IE rules. Up in the North it's different. 071 and 111 worked in multiple for a railtour as did 111 and 113 for the Hunslet farewell tour. Same story for the 201s, 208 and 209 did run in multiple in the North on a tour while they were still in NIR blue and damaged the couplings on a Cravens rake in the process, 6,000hp up front. That will never happen again.

The IWT liners are heavier than the taras especially when there are alot of tankers on it. The Norfolks were the heaviest liners at around 750 odd tons, I have heard of them being even 800+ the odd time.

Captain Chaos Tara Mines is heaviest train in the system at 900 tonne + loco brings train weight to over 1000 tonne to be exact.

072 just hauled 074 through Sallins for Dublin

077 hauled a couple of CPWs through Sallins for Newbridge aboout 20 minutes ago

288895.JPG

079 worked an almost empty second DP bound IWT passing Sallins in the last few minutes. 215 and 224 both worked the earlier IWT trains.

martin_g wrote: »
    Captain Chaos Tara Mines is heaviest train in the system at 900 tonne + loco brings train weight to over 1000 tonne to be exact.

Yeah, I believed that with those exact figures and posted that on this site about a year or so ago, then some other posters on here made convincing claims at the time that the IWT and the old Norfolk liners were heavier so that changed my mind. Someone even claimed that IE would not allow a train that heavy to run on the network.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,759 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

075 operating todays Ballina-Waterford timber.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭jhnn

To add to above, the laden tara mines was powered by 078 passing Portmarnock @ 14:40 Wednesday 15 01 2014.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jhn8882/11969145125/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭jhnn

Thursday 16 01 2014.

Hi folks.
    Managed to take a photo of the two grey beasts on the Tara mines today near Howth Junction Donaghmede, see them here.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jhn8882/11984555735/

085 hauled a rail train through Sallins for Newbridge about 15 minutes ago.

Having just seen 085 in the flesh for the first time since her overhaul I came across whats supposed to be her in this shot during the overhaul http://irishrailwaymodelling.com/showthread.php/2674-085-on-Autoballast-Wexford?p=40976&viewfull=1#post40976.

Is that her though? The loco is the pic was still in orange and she was in silver and black when she went in right?

Having just seen 085 in the flesh for the first time since her overhaul I came across whats supposed to be her in this shot during the overhaul http://irishrailwaymodelling.com/showthread.php/2674-085-on-Autoballast-Wexford?p=40976&viewfull=1#post40976.

Is that her though? The loco is the pic was still in orange and she was in silver and black when she went in right?

Yep, 085 was in freight livery and was confined to Inchicore as a pilot loco for a long while before it got it's overhaul and repaint.

That has to be one of the 4 orange 071s that never got the freight livery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,212 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

I think the loco in question above is 077, I think I recall it having that blue graffiti on it. anyway excellent photo!! 075 is in Westport and will work the timber train from there Wednesday about 11am.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭GTE

Yep, 085 was in freight livery and was confined to Inchicore as a pilot loco for a long while before it got it's overhaul and repaint.

That has to be one of the 4 orange 071s that never got the freight livery.

To aid a confused head, what is the current state of the 071 fleet in terms of being used today/withdrawn and paint scheme?

• Advertisement

086 and 074 at Inchicore today

072 worked an DP bound IWT passing Sallins in the last 10 minutes

bbk wrote: »
    To aid a confused head, what is the current state of the 071 fleet in terms of being used today/withdrawn and paint scheme?

All are in service bar 087 that is now finally getting overhauled going straight from orange to slate grey.

072-076,079-083 and 086 are in the black and silver freight livery.

071,077,078,084,085 and 088 are in the new slate grey livery.

080 worked a DP bound IWT passing Sallins in the last few minutes
    An unidentified 071 in new livery worked today's wagon transfer

082 worked a Ballina bound IWT passing Sallins in the last few minutes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 433 ✭✭kc56

083 was in Kildare this evening running around the laden timber departing for Waterford around 1830.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Rud

077 was on the liner train to Waterford this evening

075 worked a DP bound IWT passing Sallins in past few minutes. A 201 hauled the earlier Ballina bound IWT.

078 worked a Ballina bound IWT passing Sallins the the last few minutes

072 hauled a couple of flat or container wagons through Sallins for Newbridge moments ago

082 hauled a HOBS train towards Dublin through Sallins in the last few minutes

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭h.gricer

082 hauled a HOBS train towards Dublin through Sallins in the last few minutes
    It pass me 30mins after you saw it,

An 077 in slate livery is Dublin bound in the loop at Sallins on todays wagon transfer with a couple of CPW and Timber wagons.

edit. Assuming it was 071 she just ran light through Sallins for Newbridge

078 worked a second Ballina bound IWT today passing Sallins about 13:55. Pic attached

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,398 ✭✭✭Dartz

078 worked a second Ballina bound IWT today passing Sallins about 13:55. Pic attached

That looks brand-new. Hard to believe it's nearly 40 years old at this stage.

• Advertisement
Advertisement