Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

IE's 071 Class.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,759 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

080 in Waterford

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭n0brain3r

081 just ran light engine through Sallins for Newbridge. I think it was that 082 worked a DP bound IWT this morning and a mucked up grey 071 is on today's wagon transfer.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭GMKK96

071 worked the Limerick to Inchicore wagon transfer.
    081 worked the Portlaoise (?) to North Wall (?) panel train.
    082 worked the Ballina to North Wall IWT liner.
    071 worked the return Inchicore to Limerick wagon transfer including a wheel carrier.
    080 worked the Waterford to Ballina DFDS liner.
    081 passed the DFDS liner light engine after 080 had run around in Kildare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭GTE

h.gricer wrote: »
    Ah minor problems, these things happen, 075 is a beast and a good replacement ;)

Regards
    hg

I understand that the comment in bold may not have been totally serious but I have read posts like "x doing its best to sound like y", which was very recent come to think of it.

Are there actually objective characteristics of each engine at this stage in their lives? A weaker one, a stronger one. I can see how years of different maintenance can allow for performance differences but how about when they were new?

I read things like this a lot on other transport forums about buses/coaches, even from new but it is always difficult to extract the personal opinion and perception out of these things.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭metrovick001

A lot of the 071s have unique characteristics ranging from the sound they emit to their reliability.
    If you take a look at some of the video links you can hear distinct differences between certain class members.
    bbk wrote: »
    I understand that the comment in bold may not have been totally serious but I have read posts like "x doing its best to sound like y", which was very recent come to think of it.

Are there actually objective characteristics of each engine at this stage in their lives? A weaker one, a stronger one. I can see how years of different maintenance can allow for performance differences but how about when they were new?

I read things like this a lot on other transport forums about buses/coaches, even from new but it is always difficult to extract the personal opinion and perception out of these things.

A lot of the 071s have unique characteristics ranging from the sound they emit to their reliability.
    If you take a look at some of the video links you can hear distinct differences between certain class members.
    bbk wrote: »

082 certainly sounds different to the other class members. Also, before the overhaul programme started in 2007/2008, 081 couldn't run higher than notch 6 without the engine cutting out.

When it comes to the 201s, 209 is known to be a bit of a lemon. I seem to recall that 203 wasn't the best either.

From new, I have no idea however.

Friday 21-Feb-14
    082 worked the Northwall-Ballina IWT liner.
    It passed Hazelhatch at 0955.

9 Cravens and 2 vans? That's something else! I did see a photo of this before but hadn't seen one in action.

I assume that one GSV wasn't good enough for 9 coaches?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭h.gricer

Karsini wrote: »
    When it comes to the 201s, 209 is known to be a bit of a lemon. I seem to recall that 203 wasn't the best either.
    You always get anomalies in these things, 190 was 1 to go, 184 was a heap, 047 went so well they hadn'd time to paint it.
    211 I'm told was the best 201, it could do a 100 in places where no other 201 could do, the power unit from 211 is now inside another 201, in intercity livery;)
    Regards
    hg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Karsini wrote: »
    9 Cravens and 2 vans? That's something else! I did see a photo of this before but hadn't seen one in action.

I assume that one GSV wasn't good enough for 9 coaches?

Two GVS are required once you have 8 or more Cravens. It was standard to see on the FO service to Sligo from Connolly with 8-10 Cravens and 2 GSVs and that was in 2006.

Same story with the Mk2s, I have seen a few pics of 9 Mk2Ds and 2 EGVs hauled by are pair of BGMs back when they were in supertrain livery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,212 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

073 worked the empty timber into Westport this evening.

Two GVS are required once you have 8 or more Cravens. It was standard to see on the FO service to Sligo from Connolly with 8-10 Cravens and 2 GSVs and that was in 2006.

Whats a FO service?

n0brain3r wrote: »
    Whats a FO service?

Friday Only

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭jhnn

Monday 24 02 2014.
    081 seen passing Portmarnock with the PWD train, didn't see any of the tara mines working today see the PWD at.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jhn8882/12750031275/

Regards John..

082 just hauled a rake of empty container wagons through Sallins for Dublin. This will be one of my last posts from Sallins as I'm changing jobs and the new office over looks the Green Luas line but I don't think they'll bring the same excitement :( as hearing the rumble of an 071 in the distance! Anyway thanks for all the info guys and answering my noob questions! :) Maybe they'll convert the Green line back to heavy rail in the near futures and I can nurture my addiction :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

The best of luck in the new job nObrain3r, and many thanks for all the observations from the Sallins area.

Now back to the north side Wednesday 26 02 2014. 072 with the empty tara mines passing Killbarrack at 14:00 and 088 with the laden pictured at the same place at 14:50. see them at,
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/jhn8882/12796053955/

• Advertisement

Your observations will be sadly missed.
    Kind Regards
    h.gricer

Thanks guys I actually think I'm going to miss the trains more than my colleagues :eek:

Thanks guys I actually think I'm going to miss the trains more than my colleagues :eek:

No shame in that! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭davidlacey

Cheers nobrainer for all your observations, that would be a dream of mine to be working alongside a rail line with 071s/201s!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭bikeman1

Thanks nobrainer for all your posts. It has been great to help keep track of the movements of these enduring locos.

We need a new correspondent on the mainline!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Can anyone give me info on when/if these locos come through Connolly? My desk is ~15 metres from platform 7 :) One of the lads on the other side of the office swears he sees at least one loco come through daily, but I've only ever seen em very rarely.

• Advertisement

dregin wrote: »
    Can anyone give me info on when/if these locos come through Connolly? My desk is ~15 metres from platform 7 :) One of the lads on the other side of the office swears he sees at least one loco come through daily, but I've only ever seen em very rarely.

071s almost never go through Connolly anymore unless on an engineering train or a RPSI special. The Enterprise pool of 201 locos are all you will see at Connolly every day.

082 just rumbled through Sallins on a fully laden Ballina bound IWT

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Eiretrains

Cameos of 071 locos 084, 082 and 088, shot in May 2008.:cool:

Friday 07 03 2014.

082 on the laden tara mines passing Howth Junction Donaghmede at 11:30 and 088 with the afternoon laden tara seen at Drogheda and later at Laytown see at

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jhn8882/12996370925/in/photostream/

Regards John..

• Advertisement

082 just hauled a 3 car ICR set through Sallins for Portlaoise I presume.

Definitely my last post from Sallins! :(

075 worked a Ballina bound IWT
    A graffiti-ed 088 worked todays wagon transfer she was sat in the loop so I got a couple of pics
    218 worked a DP bound IWT too

Definitely my last post from Sallins! :(
    Thank you for all your updates, we really should organise a ''going away party'' for ya :)
    Kind Regards
    h.gricer

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭yachtsman

Lineside videos today are really superb quality. Well done to all concerned and good wishes to you nObrain3r. Has anyone taken interior cabshots of the refurbished 71s. Reports seem to suggest there has been a quality upgrade which is appreciated by Drivers. I hav'nt got close to one on a platform to see for myself.

Wednesday 19-Mar-14

086 passed Maynooth at 1150 on a Northwall-Dromid HOBs working.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 493 ✭✭MoeJay

072 just about to leave Drogheda southbound with the Tara wagons.

Update: 080 stabled in Drogheda at 1355.

085 currently operating an empty steel train to Belview.

All eighteen 071s in action

Friday 28/Mar/2014

081 on WWaterford-Ballina ety timber departed Athlone at 1535

• Advertisement

Thursday 04-April-14

Any one know what 071 worked the laden tara ex Navan at 1800 today? (Sounded like 082).

Just read on another forum that the long lost 087 has been spotted. It's outside the paint shop in Inchicore in slate grey livery with a large 087 under the drivers window just like 078 and 085.

http://chrisplayfair.smugmug.com/Travel/2014-Photos/April-2014/38195919_WwHWQz#!i=3158048927&k=QBWkPLx

It will be the first time in a about 4 years that all 071s were in service together when it returns.

082 in Wexford
    086 in Waterford

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Rud

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    082 in Wexford
    086 in Waterford

Is 082 there for the weekend?

Rud wrote: »
    Is 082 there for the weekend?
    Yes on the Sperry train.

Regards
    h.gricer

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭GMKK96

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    082 in Wexford
    086 in Waterford
    I'm assuming 086 was on the rail train in Waterford? It was meant to run back to Portlaoise this morning but there is no sign of it. Does anyone know when it will run now?

GMKK96 wrote: »
    I'm assuming 086 was on the rail train in Waterford? It was meant to run back to Portlaoise this morning but there is no sign of it. Does anyone know when it will run now?

Yes on the rail train, it was still empty.

082 worked the Sperry train to Pace tonight. I spotted her approaching from the motorway and knew I was in for a nice treat! But it didn't help my withdrawal :( God i miss the view from my old office.
    I've a couple of pics attached

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

081 was at Inchicore yesterday evening with RPSI stock.

086 operated empty steel to Waterford yesterday afternoon.

Advertisement