Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IE's 071 Class.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,743 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

A busy scene in Waterford at 07.00, 075 and 088 with two empty timber's and 083 with CPW's.

088 operated the 11.30 DFDS services as a track inspection car was blocking 083 from turning to bring the CPW's to Belview for loading.

Waterford West yard was more less full with all 3 freight services as one siding is disconnected and then the Mark3's are taking up one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,201 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

A nice surprise this fine summers evening,077 just passed through Castlebar station with its ballast train heading for Westport to shunt/turn and back to Ballyhaunis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Can anyone out there try and snap 088 in the new livery? Just want to compare it to 071 and 077 with the cab logos, or lack there of.

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Sligo Quay

I was on a train yesterday afternoon and passing Sallins notice double headed 071s on a container and tank train facing south, was it a trial for a railtour.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭GMKK96

Can anyone out there try and snap 088 in the new livery? Just want to compare it to 071 and 077 with the cab logos, or lack there of.

This is a screen cap of a video I took this afternoon. The last time I posted a video on this site I got pretty negative comments.
    Irish Rail 088 in New Grey Livery on DFDS Liner YouTube.png

• Advertisement

Thanks, so it looks like it's just 071 that didn't get it's cab logos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,743 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Sligo Quay wrote: »
    I was on a train yesterday afternoon and passing Sallins notice double headed 071s on a container and tank train facing south, was it a trial for a railtour.

073 failed and 079 came to the rescue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

074 in the works at Limerick

071 + 073 on IRRS special

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭n0brain3r

071 + 073 on IRRS special

Passed me in Sallins at about 10:45 this morning I knew by the noise well before I saw them I was in for a treat!

It's mentioned above that 073 failed yesterday did she or where they just testing double heading? Any reason for double heading the rail tour or is it just because they can :D

@GMKK96 keep up the good work I'm a complete novice but enjoy your videos/contributions

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

Always found it daft that it's not permitted under IE rules for 071s to double head but the IRRS and the RPSI have done it a few times even with 201s.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Niles

Always found it daft that it's not permitted under IE rules for 071s to double head but the IRRS and the RPSI have done it a few times even with 201s.

I believe the ITG ran a special with 111+071 and also two 201s on the NIR network years ago,

I understand today's working is one loco hauling the other dead, as opposed to multiple working. Don't believe it's happened on an IRRS or RPSI outing before, bar an 071 rescuing a failed classmate on a Mystery Train about two years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭n0brain3r

This post has been deleted.

Cork/Midleton/Cobh

Here's a link to the booking form

http://www.irrs.ie/Railtours/Booking%20Form%20-%20Diesel%20Railtour%20to%20Cork.pdf

Niles wrote: »
    I believe the ITG ran a special with 111+071 and also two 201s on the NIR network years ago,

And at least one case of 2 of the 111 class double heading too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Niles

And at least one case of 2 of the 111 class double heading too.

In the case of the paired 201s, my understanding is that the drawbars in the Cravens didn't enjoy the experience very much!

Multiple working of 071s and 201s has been allowed on the Cork line for the past while. At one stage, IE were considering double heading 201s on the Mark 4s to improve acceleration.

I'm raging I missed this though. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭GMKK96

Here is a video I took at Kildare of todays railtour. I'm still not sure whether to call it a double header or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,887 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

The train was NOT double headed in the sense that people are posting here.

071 hauled 073 and the train from Dublin to Cork. 073 was completely shut down for this time.

The two locomotives were required to work the train to/from Cobh and Midleton as there are no run-around facilities in either location. 073 was started in Cork and the two locomotives worked the train in turns to/from Cobh and Midleton.

Again, 071 hauled 073 (shut down) and the train back to Dublin.

Strange they couldn't haul a loco dead at the "back" of the train for the Cobh/Midleton sections. They were confident enough that it would start up in Cork anyway.

• Advertisement

Strange they couldn't haul a loco dead at the "back" of the train for the Cobh/Midleton sections. They were confident enough that it would start up in Cork anyway.

They can't because of the way the brakes work on the 071s. There's no through pipe in the Cravens for the independent brake, without this the brakes on the rear loco won't release.

Karsini wrote: »
    They can't because of the way the brakes work on the 071s. There's no through pipe in the Cravens for the independent brake, without this the brakes on the rear loco won't release.

So they can only do that with air braked stock then?

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭metrovick001

086 on Alexandra road-Tara mines empty ore train at Platin 10-June-2013

So they can only do that with air braked stock then?

yes, while the loco can control both air and vacuum brakes on stock the actual brakes on the loco are only air.

GM228 on IRN posted a very good explanation of the issues involving top and tail, I think they've explained it better than I can. :)

http://irnirishrailwaynews.yuku.com/sreply/55384/RPSI-2012

The Wanderer's photos confirm that 073 was hauled 'dead' - the MU cable wasn't connected between the two locos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Couldn't they have topped and tailed if there was a crew member in the rear loco to release the brakes??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,887 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Karsini wrote: »
    The Wanderer's photos confirm that 073 was hauled 'dead' - the MU cable wasn't connected between the two locos.

Thanks for not actually taking my word on that!!!

Are things so bad that you need photographic evidence??

What gave it away to me was standing beside a completely silent 073 in Heuston, Templemore and Cork.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Deep breath, folks, and remain polite at all times :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Rud

088 is on the DFDS liner from Waterford

Advertisement