Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IE's 071 Class.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,223 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Word was that 088 was to lift two Mark 3's out of Waterford this afternoon; Inchicore being the destination. Worth keeping an eye out for if you are out that way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,744 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Word was that 088 was to lift two Mark 3's out of Waterford this afternoon; Inchicore being the destination. Worth keeping an eye out for if you are out that way.

Any idea why they are moving them?, considering they scrapped the rest here. The last two are a restaurant and a generator car, 088 traveled down yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,131 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Any idea why they are moving them?, considering they scrapped the rest here. The last two are a restaurant and a generator car, 088 traveled down yesterday.

maybe it was decided all the ones left would be cut in dundalk to be scrapped in the north? and the few in waterford are being moved to inchicore until such time as its convenient to move them to dundalk? i'm sure someone will know

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 croleeka

Caught 088 hauling the Mk3 transfer (coaches 7403 & 7607) in County Kilkenny today. It was a great sight seeing them back operating on the mainline but a sad one all the same given their fate.

I'm not able to put the video up on here but if anyone wants a look just search 072dunbell on YT to see it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

maybe it was decided all the ones left would be cut in dundalk to be scrapped in the north? and the few in waterford are being moved to inchicore until such time as its convenient to move them to dundalk? i'm sure someone will know

The only Mk3s scrapped in Dundalk were the two sets left to rot there.
    Some Mk3s were scrapped in Northwall (I think 4-5) and that has now stopped. All Mk3s are now and will be scrapped in Adelade yard. 13 Mk3s have been scrapped there in the past two weeks. The ones left in Nortwall are making 2 part trips in sets of 6 or 7 to Adelade with a stop over in Dundalk

The ones in Waterford are going to Inchicore according to Wanderer. Don't know why they want an EGV with no gennys in it.

• Advertisement

Looks like the two Mk3s moved to Inchicore have a future and will be on the rails for a few years yet. Buffet coach 7403 will be used in the Sperry train and EGV 7607 will be converted for the weed spray train replacing the current converted Mk1 GSV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,131 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Looks like the two Mk3s moved to Inchicore have a future and will be on the rails for a few years yet. Buffet coach 7403 will be used in the Sperry train and EGV 7607 will be converted for the weed spray train replacing the current converted Mk1 GSV.

i take it the MK1 will be scrapped?

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

I wonder what they'll do with the brakes in that case. The weedspray train is surely vacuum braked. Vacuum braked Mark 3?

Karsini wrote: »
    I wonder what they'll do with the brakes in that case. The weedspray train is surely vacuum braked. Vacuum braked Mark 3?

Very good, that's a noodle scratcher right there. Suppose we had vacuum braked Mk2Ds for 40 years, this could well be another first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭FedFrank2

How fast are the Mk3's allowed to be hauled at given their probable poor condition?

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭h.gricer

FedFrank2 wrote: »
    How fast are the Mk3's allowed to be hauled at given their probable poor condition?

30MPH

Regards
    hg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭bikeman1

h.gricer wrote: »
    30MPH

Regards
    hg

The two transfers from North Wall to Dundalk were permitted to travel at 50mph.

Not sure if NIR imposed a different restriction on their metals.

However worth noting the brake force of an 071 and just two Mk3s or anything for that fact is pretty terrible, so maybe 30mph was imposed on that particular working. But that would be more due to the poor braking on the small set.

The old 19xx FO Limerick and 06:45 Limerick - Heuston was restricted to 50mph IIRC as it was 3 Mk2s and a van.

The two transfers from North Wall to Dundalk were permitted to travel at 50mph.

I believe that is the speed the transfer from Waterford also operated at, they wouldn't of run it at 12.25 if it couldn't do freight speed

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭metrovick001

Wednesday 02-July-14

073 Northwall-Dundalk-Platin sprayer arr Drogheda at 1315.
    084 on second laden tara ex mines dep Drogheda at 1320.

I heard the rumblings of an 071 north bound through HowthJunction at 01:30, I don't believe it was the last empty tara that usually runs between 23:30 and 00:30. Then again at 04:30 I could hear what I assume was the same loco heading back south bound. Wondering was it a HOBs train?

077 was at East Wall bank at 14:00 with afternoon empty tara waiting for a path.

072 and 082 were around Cherryville Junction, rescuing a failed timber from Waterford. Couldnt identify the other loco but it took them almost 2h to clear the line near Arhy. Appears they didnt change the loco but expect a change will take place in kildare.

081 in Waterford

078 experienced problems between Athy and Cherryville while 082 (which failed beween Carlow-Muine Bheag on Friday) was sent from Inchicore fix 078 before following it into Kildare. 072 just passed towards Inchicore light engine a few minutes before 078 cleared the junction to give 13.15 passenger service clearance some 75 minutes behind schedule. Not sure if 072 was involved of just happened to pass at the time.

Looked like 072 is in the middle of having work done.

Thursday 03-July-14.
    073 and the weedsprayer traveled from Platin-Navan-Northwall today.
    077 & 084 on Taras.

Friday 04-July-14
    072 on laden timber on centre road at Kildare at 15:00

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭vickers209

One of the 080s i think went through wicklow today around 11.30 pulling ballast cars 3 of them i think havent heard the sound of the engine in wicklow for years was heading in rosslare direction

• Registered Users Posts: 18 bob425
    Miss

vickers209 wrote: »
    One of the 080s i think went through wicklow today around 11.30 pulling ballast cars 3 of them i think havent heard the sound of the engine in wicklow for years was heading in rosslare direction

It was 088 with 8 HOBS for Gorey.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/metrovick/14574539575/in/photostream/

10 years ago today - worth a look.
    I tried 20 ways of trying to insert a photo from flickr but alas no luck!

10 years ago today - worth a look.
    I tried 20 ways of trying to insert a photo from flickr but alas no luck![/QUOTE]
    Its a lovely photo Metrovick taken in beautiful light, lucky in Sun, but ekkkkkkkkkkkk my comment under your photo would make a daft discussion here on boards, did they or did the not, the GSWR spell Hazelhatch wrong, well according to Ordnance Survey maps at the time 1899 1902 that great insitituion the GSWR certainly did spell Hazelhatch wrong, putting the L before the E
    Regards
    hg

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Eiretrains

Photographic evidence of the Hazlehatch.:D
    http://catalogue.nli.ie/Record/vtls000305523

Eiretrains wrote: »
    Photographic evidence of the Hazlehatch.:D
    http://catalogue.nli.ie/Record/vtls000305523

Thank you for that, I'm informed by moderators I'm not allowed to post links or photos as I'm not a long member here and don't have enough of posts.

h.gricer wrote: »
    Thank you for that, I'm informed by moderators I'm not allowed to post links or photos as I'm not a long member here and don't have enough of posts.

You've reached the 50 post mark so you should be fine now. :)

• Advertisement

Friday 11-July-14
    072 on Waterford-Ballina DFDS with CPWS - departed Athlone at 1635
    082 on laden timber to Waterford.

Advertisement