Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IE's 071 Class.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭metrovick001

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

GMKK96 wrote: »
    074 on a steel train also hauling a timber wagon to Waterford, 086 Light engine, 088 hauling a DFDS liner, 077 hauling a timber train and some Cork, Galway, Westport, Portlaoise and Heuston passenger services in Kildare on Friday.

Loadings on the DFDS not looking too healthy!

GM228

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭jhnn

GM228 wrote: »
    Loadings on the DFDS not looking too healthy!

GM228
    That docent look healthy maybe its the time of year, wheres all the export boom that the government is talking about...J.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 264 ✭✭eejoynt

jhnn wrote: »
    That docent look healthy maybe its the time of year, wheres all the export boom that the government is talking about...J.

The rail train doesn't Cary containers

The DFDS liner is in the video at Kildare running around. The thumbnal is the rail train.

The DFDS can be fully loaded on certain Fridays.

eejoynt wrote: »
    The rail train doesn't Cary containers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭GMKK96

There's only one liner each way now. It started hauling curtain sided DFDS containers a good while back and since then traffic appeared to pick up a bit. I'll see can I get a shot of one around Lavistown tomorrow afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 John Denver

088 was on the DFDS liner today and 10 out of 12 CPW's were loaded with 45ft containers. Not a bad loading.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭jhnn

088 was on the DFDS liner today and 10 out of 12 CPW's were loaded with 45ft containers. Not a bad loading.

Thats good news, thanks for sharing.....J

The DFDS liner was cancelled yesterday.

Another Kildare video taken Friday featuring the Portlaoise to Waterford steel train, 077 on the North Wall to Ballina IWT, 218 in the distance on the up IWT (which I failed to record when it was passing), 072 on the Ballina to Waterford laden timber train and some MK4 trains hauled by 215, 217, 219 and 222.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,744 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

074 with steel train in Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭davidlacey

Unidentified 071 passed Bray at 22.05 with autoballasters

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    074 with steel train in Waterford.

It was on the taras Monday evening, held at East Wall junction with 9 empties at 17:00, it passed Killester around 17:50 taking a path between DARTs in the evening rush.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,744 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

086 with auto blasters at Carlow sidings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,739 ✭✭✭tnegun

There was an 071 shutdown at the engine shed in Connally last night didn't see the no. Have they all been overhauled now?

tnegun wrote: »
    There was an 071 shutdown at the engine shed in Connally last night didn't see the no. Have they all been overhauled now?

That's 077, it's been there since Monday morning with its access panels opened all week. Could be just extra because if it's failed that long it would have been hauled to Inchicore.

Overhauled list is:
    071, 076 (finished since July and not back in traffic yet), 077, 078, 084, 085, 087 (more or less finished, still waiting for parts, out of traffic almost 5 years now) and 088.

So just less than half the fleet done at his stage. 072 and 081's cabs are rusting badly and need to get overhauled badly. 081 was the first 071 in the freight livery.

077 failed.
    I believe its due to be hauled to Inchicore today.

That's 077, it's been there since Monday morning with its access panels opened all week. Could be just extra because if it's failed that long it would have been hauled to Inchicore.

Overhauled list is:
    071, 076 (finished since July and not back in traffic yet), 077, 078, 084, 085, 087 (more or less finished, still waiting for parts, out of traffic almost 5 years now) and 088.

So just less than half the fleet done at his stage. 072 and 081's cabs are rusting badly and need to get overhauled badly. 081 was the first 071 in the freight livery.

Friday 27-Feb-15

075 WD-BA DFDS as far as Kildare
    074 WD-BA DFDS Kildare-Ballina.
    088 HOBs being loaded at Portarlington
    084 Portlaoise-Platin PWD (sleepers)
    086 Portlaoise-?? PWD (Panel train).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

looking at some 071s recently, they look very shook. whats happens when IR runs out of bits to cannibalise or the frames just begin too generally fail. Cant see them getting monies for locos and the 201s are very limited in scope of use. Seems a bizarre strategy

Are there any other countries that have ended up with a basically passenger only full railcar operation. How do they cope with no loco stock

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,131 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

BoatMad wrote: »
    looking at some 071s recently, they look very shook. whats happens when IR runs out of bits to cannibalise or the frames just begin too generally fail. Cant see them getting monies for locos and the 201s are very limited in scope of use. Seems a bizarre strategy

Are there any other countries that have ended up with a basically passenger only full railcar operation. How do they cope with no loco stock

i don't know is there any country which is completely railcar operated, or at least that can't get locos and stock if needed.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 264 ✭✭eejoynt

In fact 071s have returned to traffic after overhaul over the last few years. One of them, forget which , was subject to a discussion on this thread, as to how it was destined to be turned into razor blades.
    But then the main function of this forum is the pooling of ignorance

087 was the loco, and for a few years yes it did indeed look destined to be the first to be scrapped. IE's plans regarding the 071s has changed for the better in recent years. Around 2007-2008 it was decided to withdraw 6 of the class when they were due major overhaul and use them for parts for the other 12.

The new overhaul program now for the 071s is to keep all 18 running for as long as possible. The cabs are being fully rebuilt along with all the body work panels being replaced because of the decades of weathering have take it's toll on them. The drivers are reported to be happy with the improvements in the slate grey 071s. There are no more drafts and rain leaking in, less vibrations and improved sound proofing so hearing protection is no longer needed all the time. Just a far better condition to work in and less fatigue for them.

087 was the loco, and for a few years yes it did indeed look destined to be the first to be scrapped. IE's plans regarding the 071s has changed for the better in recent years. Around 2007-2008 it was decided to withdraw 6 of the class when they were due major overhaul and use them for parts for the other 12.

The new overhaul program now for the 071s is to keep all 18 running for as long as possible. The cabs are being fully rebuilt along with all the body work panels being replaced because of the decades of weathering have take it's toll on them. The drivers are reported to be happy with the improvements in the slate grey 071s. There are no more drafts and rain leaking in, less vibrations and improved sound proofing so hearing protection is no longer needed all the time. Just a far better condition to work in and less fatigue for them.
    well, they had no choice. the 201s can't go all over the network and frankly they need locos to grow some sort of freight custom rather then the bad strategy of only relying completely on the passenger side of things

well, they had no choice. the 201s can't go all over the network and frankly they need locos to grow some sort of freight custom rather then the bad strategy of only relying completely on the passenger side of things

Yes but I wonder then why they scrapped all the 141s etc. If they think they can keep the 071 going for a reasonable time, ( i.e. > say 5 years) I wonder why they didn't restore a selection of 141s. Seems a but bizarre to have all > 2000Hp engines .

anyways glad to see the venerable 071s in action , I remember their arrival in the late seventies

I wonder why they didn't restore a selection of 141s.

because the strategy was to get out of freight altogether. can't have an alternative to the road hauliers now can we? i'm sure a few could have been kept with others stripped for parts. lots of gm locos built long before them still earning their keep so i can't see why the best few couldn't be doing the same on per way at least. all though thankfully a couple earn their keep in preservation. the fact is IE can't simply rely on the passenger side alone. they have to grow the freight business. it will be small compared to what it once was, but it can be, and it needs to be done. they need whatever income they can get

because the strategy was to get out of freight altogether. can't have an alternative to the road hauliers now can we? i'm sure a few could have been kept with others stripped for parts. lots of gm locos built long before them still earning their keep so i can't see why the best few couldn't be doing the same on per way at least. all though thankfully a couple earn their keep in preservation. the fact is IE can't simply rely on the passenger side alone. they have to grow the freight business. it will be small compared to what it once was, but it can be, and it needs to be done. they need whatever income they can get

I agree, what I see is a dead end situation where IR will not be able to fund replacement locos on a freight only scenario and effectively they will remove themselves from ever being able to generate freight again.

I always thought the 100% railcar strategy was incredibly shortsighted and that a mix of services would ensure that justification to replace the loco fleet could be retained.

The strategic rail review 2013, shows that less then 400 freight wagons are in serviceable condition down from 1500, and that in effect even if it wanted to IR couldn't re-establish any significant freight operation without massive capital injection

anyway back to the 071s, long may they thunder around our railways

Spotted 075 with the RPSI Cravens set in the Connolly Vallet plant at 7am this morning. Didn't hear of any specials being run lately.

072 was on the evening empty tara run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

Spotted 075 with the RPSI Cravens set in the Connolly Vallet plant at 7am this morning. Didn't hear of any specials being run lately.

072 was on the evening empty tara run.

There was a private charter for Fingal Library as part of their programme of 'Once Upon A Place' events today from Connolly to Drogheda using 461 and RPSI Cravens

Irish Rail top and tail 071s 086 and 088 on a ballast train 7-3-2015

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,413 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Has 082 been wearing an orange door for a while now? Just passed me on a Tara run

Advertisement