Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canadian oak flooring

Options
  • 02-02-2012 12:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 47

I have a question regarding Canadian oak flooring.
    We had it installed 10 months ago and it was installed correctly by the carpenter. It was left in the house to get use to the environment before it was installed.
    The problem is it moving, gaps appearing and it seems to collecting moisture as it is curling up on either side of the lat.
    The company has come out to have a look and has said there is moisture in the boards. I have being told by the carpenter this wood is being stopped being used by the company and they have a different type oak for sale now.

Anyone have any issues or know if there are any issues with this type of flooring?

Thanks for any replies.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭North West

Hi.
    Your carpenter did not take the proper precautions when installing your floor. What's happening to your floor is moisture related. Firstly you will have to find the cause of the moisture. Then you can fix your floor.There is no such thing as a bad floor. 100% your carpenter made a muck of it and is now blaming the floor for his bad work.If this has just happened put up a photo.
    A few questions:
    1.How is the floor installed Floated - nailed or glued
    2. give me board size
    3.What sub floor is under the floor
    4.Is there polythene and underlay under timber
    5. Did carpenter do a moisture test on floor and a humidity reading in room before laying floor.
    6. did he do a moisture test on the flooring.
    If you can give me these answers and a photo your floor maybe be able to be fixed in situ. has to be done quick.

Most carpenters do not have a clue about fitting flooring and thats a widely known fact. It takes a professional floor fitter.

I have been fitting floors for years. NEVER - NEVER had a problem.
    I always do a site investigation first before flooring is ever bought - i do a moisture test on concrete-- a humidity reading of the air -- a moisture test on flooring in suppliers yard. All these reading will give me a starting point to get everything ready before floor is installed. Ask your carpenter one question and see what he says. Let me know. What is Equilibrium Moisture Content and coefficients of change. Attached is a sample of my first visit to job where flooring is to be installed.
    NW

Hi again
    Canadian oak flooring when bought from a merchant will have a moisture content of approx 8 to 9%. In ireland the floor will settle in room around 11%. this means a difference of 3% from merchant to installation.The dimentional change coefficient can be used to calculate expected shrinkage or swelling.what you do is multiply the change in moisture content by the change coefficient, then multiply by the width of the board.
    Example:using the 3% difference as above.

canadian oak floor(change coefficient= .00369) board 5" wide experience a moisture content change from 8% to 11% - a change of 3%Points.

Calculation:3 x.00369 =0.01107 x 5 = 0.05535 inches.

So your flooring will expand 0.05535 inches in every board. Allowances in floor as expansion gap has to be left for floor movement. If this measurement is taken over the width of the room, it will give you an approx expansion allowance should have been left.
    Nw

• Registered Users Posts: 47 gormixx

Hi

Thank you for your reply. Your detailed knowledge has really helped :)

The carpenter has taken up the flooring and has admitted to putting it down when knowing the ground had still got moisture in it.

He organised for a industrial heater to be put in to my house to dry out the flooring and now the proper checks have been done by the supplier of the wood who checked the moisture and it is under 3%.

The supplier has suggested putting down RPM Liquid (Sealer) before the floor boards be put down.. this was not done the first time. Is this necessary or originally required??

The floor boards are being replaced by the carpenter.

Also, how long is necessary for the wood to stay in the house before being put down ??

Thank you for your reply :)

Hi Gormixx

Any chance you could put up a photo of room. Is the flooring going direct on concrete ? or is it nailed to battens?. Is the 3% the moisture content of the flooring ?. You do not need to dry the flooring. Its the concrete needs to be dried, with a moisture content to 5% or less. Give me the brand of flooring,board size and thickness. You may not need a sealer if flooring going direct on concrete. You can use 500g visqueen and turn it up the wall behind the skirting board. This will allow any moisture to release evaporate into the room.
    the flooring if at 3% moisture content will expand because it is very dry, you will need to leave a perimeter expansion around the floor. if you send all the info i will be able to do calculations for you for a safe install
    NW

Hi
    Little bit of reading for you, very informational. Enjoy Attached
    NW

• Advertisement
Advertisement