Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

off the gargle, strugglin with the heebeejeebees

• 02-02-2012 12:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭

Anyone here play darts for years having a few pints and adapt to playing competitively sober ????

Have been playing for years but had to pack in the booze for medical reasons.
    Still enjoy a game, but struggling with nerves badly, you would think I had parkinsons during my game.
    I am in my late 40s, and playing for years, didnt think this would affect me as much as it is.
    Even tempted to pack it in.
    Anyone else switch to playing without the pint, for maybe driving reasons....

I dont travel to many comps but was hoping to, now that I can drive to them, but not sure whether I have the patience or even if I will ever be able to relax for a game.

Any thoughts ????

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 689 ✭✭✭stylie

No quick fix Im afraid. I used to be able to play to a competitive standard with out booze. What helps is lots of practice on your own and against good players, try to put your self under pressure a lot in these situations to get used to it, and play with a smile. Try to laugh off bad shots and take deep breadths in between shots to help your self calm down.
    Try reading some golf books about dealing with pressure, its in the mind so some psychology books might help. There are self hypnosis books out there which try to make you stronger mentally.
    So no quick cure out there

Advertisement