Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Microwaving porridge

Options
  • 02-02-2012 1:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭

Was in tesco the other day and spotted "quick oats" - advertised as easy to microwave quickly without prior cooking.

Spotted the normal oats, same brand, they were cheaper and when I looked on the pack they were also microwaveable. So I just brought them home and microwaved without cooking and they were fine.

Am I missing something here?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

Was in tesco the other day and spotted "quick oats" - advertised as easy to microwave quickly without prior cooking.

Spotted the normal oats, same brand, they were cheaper and when I looked on the pack they were also microwaveable. So I just brought them home and microwaved without cooking and they were fine.

no, but i think i am. Whats the question?
    I microwave normal ones all the time ans they are fine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

I think they put 'microwaveable' on the pack as a way to pretend they're somehow different from normal oats and justify a higher price in peoples minds. I microwave normal oats all the time, only non microwaveable one I've found is oatbran

• Registered Users Posts: 39,416 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I think they put 'microwaveable' on the pack as a way to pretend they're somehow different from normal oats and justify a higher price in peoples minds. I microwave normal oats all the time, only non microwaveable one I've found is oatbran

They are different. It you find quick oats in a clear container have a look and you'll see the difference.

Quick oats are ground finer. So they have what is almost oat flour along with small rolled oats. Normal oats are just rolled.

Both are microwavable, I don't think any company says differently.
    But the quick oats result in less course porridge. Think of softer oats, when soaked.

They also work better in smoothies.
    I know some people have bought rolled oats and toss in a food processor to get quick oats

• Registered Users Posts: 8,730 ✭✭✭sudzs

I used to microwave my porridge but then the microwave died so I had to make it in a pot! It was much much nicer, creamier and better flavour especially if you let the oats soak for 10 minutes before you start. Never went back to the microwave method and if you keep stirring and use a non stick pan then the clean up is easier! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Zelkova

Respect the Oats- use the pot.
    Roll on brekkie time- love my bowl with a spoon of honey and vanilla essence made with rum- yum yum

• Advertisement
Advertisement