Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Does what you watch give you an insight to who you are?

• 02-02-2012 1:20am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭

I had a discussion with my flatmate one day about television. He asked me whether I watched Hardy Bucks and he said that ''it was some show''. At first I thought he was joking but the long pause following the question suggested to me that he was being serious. I agreed with him out of sympathy and felt sorry for him. He must be the only person I have ever met that would watch that absolute trash. I thought about this for a while and came to the conclusion that he was probably a fan of Miss Brown aswel. This was confirmed at Christmas when I found a dvd of this ****e in the sitting room. I think their maybe a correlation between him being a weed smoking, honda civic driving, celtic shirt wearing, wannabee scumbag and the type of tv he watches. I said to him one day for the laugh while watching hitlers henchmen, ''thats some show isn't it?'' and he looked at me with discust. I wanted to punch this pr1ck in the face. The fcuking cheek of him, hitlers henchmen versus hardy bucks ****e. One entertains and educates and the other melts your brain. So do you think what you watch gives you an insight into the kind of person you are?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭MickySticks

How dare you! Hardy Bucks is brilliant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,340 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Spliff and the Hardy Bucks, any day over Hitler.

So what does watching Hitler say about you, Jew Killer eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Millicent

paky wrote: »
    I had a discussion with my flatmate one day about television. He asked me whether I watched Hardy Bucks and he said that ''it was some show''. At first I thought he was joking but the long pause following the question suggested to me that he was being serious. I agreed with him out of sympathy and felt sorry for him. He must be the only person I have ever met that would watch that absolute trash. I thought about this for a while and came to the conclusion that he was probably a fan of Miss Brown aswel. This was confirmed at Christmas when I found a dvd of this ****e in the sitting room. I think their maybe a correlation between him being a weed smoking, honda civic driving, celtic shirt wearing, wannabee scumbag and the type of tv he watches. I said to him one day for the laugh while watching hitlers henchmen, ''thats some show isn't it?'' and he looked at me with discust. I wanted to punch this pr1ck in the face. The fcuking cheek of him, hitlers henchmen versus hardy bucks ****e. One entertains and educates and the other melts your brain. So do you think what you watch gives you an insight into the kind of person you are?

Does what you watch reflect that you're a bit pretentious and judgemental then, or does the correlation only apply to people you think are beneath you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

No...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

I dunno, I watch stuff like star trek, Babylon 5 and crazy Korean movies. What does that say about me? :)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭paky

Millicent wrote: »
    Does what you watch reflect that you're a bit pretentious and judgemental then, or does the correlation only apply to people you think are beneath you?

im not pretentious, but yes there are beneath me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 The Vigilant Citizen

You = Ivor

Flatmate = Damo

Links234 wrote: »
    I dunno, I watch stuff like star trek, Babylon 5 and crazy Korean movies. What does that say about me? :)

your a nerd?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

I must admit if someone said they enjoyed watching Mrs Browns Boys I would think them an idiot.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Millicent

So just judgemental then?

• Advertisement

paky wrote:

your a nerd?

I don't know, I have a very cool comic book collection and my very own sonic screwdriver. That's not nerdy, is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

So do you think what you watch gives you an insight into the kind of person you are?

It doesn't say half as much about a person as wanting to punch someone in the face over what TV programs they watch says about you.

So just judgemental then?

stop it everybodys judgemental

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Fourteen

Maybe it can.

Can't lie, I'd have doubts about people who love something like Wagons' Den. Usually though, I don't take much notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Immaculate Pasta

I'm a bit of a TV snob so to speak. My favourite shows are the critically acclaimed dramas like The Sopranos, Mad Men and The Wire. I'm into comedy shows like The Thick Of It, Peep Show, Alan Partridge and not low brow stuff. Shows which you generally have to be pay attention to and analyse for yourself. I hate Reality TV full stop and I don't watch any soaps like Eastenders, Hollyoaks, Fair City etc. because I think they're all awful.

But I actually disagree with you over Hardy Bucks and I think it is very good. It's unique because it's a fantastic portrayal of being a young lad in the West of Ireland which no show has done before. Shows are always about characters in some big city whereas they've never successfully done it about small town life. I think it's one of those shows that you either get or you don't so will always struggle to get that mass appeal. Someone from a rural town is far more likely to get it than someone from Dublin for example. The humour is not particularly slapstick, there's a lot of tragic comedy and some of the one-liners they come up with are some of the best I've heard in a comedy show.

:cool:

Links234 wrote: »
    I don't know, I have a very cool comic book collection and my very own sonic screwdriver. That's not nerdy, is it?

nerdy hipster

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

It would behove you to sort out your spelling, grammar and sentence structure before coming on here with delusions of eloquence and an unwarranted sense of self-importance.

nerdy hipster
    Oh you did not just call me a hipster! :eek:

Line crossed. Seriously. Totally uncalled for.

Pace2008 wrote: »
    It would behove you to sort out your spelling, grammar and sentence structure before coming on here with delusions of eloquence and an unwarranted sense of self-importance.

behove me? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

I would negatively judge anyone who found any of the following good shows to watch:

The big bang theory,
    Family Guy
    American Dad
    2 and a half men
    Game of Thrones
    King of Queens

etc...

• Advertisement

I would negatively judge anyone who found any of the following good shows to watch:

The big bang theory,
    Family Guy
    American Dad
    2 and a half men
    Game of Thrones
    King of Queens

etc...
    Game of thrones lumped in with 2 and a half men?!

I negatively judge you! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

The big bang theory,
    Family Guy
    American Dad
    2 and a half men
    Game of Thrones
    King of Queens

etc...

They're actually easy enough to find, given all the satellite repeats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

I have a dream that TV watchers will one day live in a world where they will not be judged by their choice of television programming but by the content of their character.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Precious1

Is it kinda like,
    "Tell me who your friends are and I'll tell you who you are"? :]

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

There are beneath you, what?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Only shows that I watch/have watched regularly over the past few years are:

Breaking Bad
    Rescue Me
    Trailer Park Boys
    Southland
    The Wire
    Peep Show
    It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

Couldn't be bothered watching any of the crap that RTE produce,and the majority of UK series' are either period drama's like Downton which I've no interest in,or awful mock reality shows like that Channel 4 Chelsea series.Same goes for crap US shows like CSI,NCIS,Criminal Minds etc.Wouldn't judge anyone for watching them,but definitely not my cup of cha!

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭FinnLizzy

Anyone that claims that they don't judge others over what they watch are lying to themselves. For me, it can be about whole genres as well as shows:

ITV: Working-middle class mammies who compensate their boring lives with soaps and shows with 'celebrity' in the title 60% of the time.

X Factor/talent shows: Along with the above, Musically retarded folk who won't go beyond what the radio tells them to listen to. Encouraging the mass production of squeeky clean, middle of the road pop.

Seth MacFarlane: Wannabe textbook liberals and easily amused teenagers (I do like American Dad as it is a breath of fresh air from the Family Guy template)

Two and a half Men: LOL! Innuendo! Charlie Sheen is so cool! Other guy is soo lame! LOL TIGER BLOOD! He has lots of sex and uder guy doesn't! Retarded show!

Channel 4: Some great shows and a great alternative to the strict regulations of BBC and the celeb trash of ITV. Great comedy (Inbetweeners, Peep Show), but all round obsessed with portraying Britain as mad, outrageous binge- drinking, sex-addicts.

I have the height of respect for anyone that watches QI of Have I Got News for You.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

You're right about Mrs Brown's Boys tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭mconigol

Oh no you've riled up the people with chips on their shoulder OP. :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

Depends. If someone appreciates good tv drama/educational shows but watches the odd crappy show for entertainment, I'd see them as a "rounded" character.

Id consider myself a bit of a muso. Do alot of home recording, recently finished a two year sound engineering course, read music magazines (Uncut, not that Q sh1te), make an effort to find out about lesser known bands etc....but I fcuking love the X Factor! Can't explain it. In theory I don't support the manufactured music industry but I am interested to see what they do with the songs every week, good or bad. If the only thing you knew about me was that I watch that show, you'd probably think I was a fool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Being 16 was great. Getting so worked up about pointless bollocks before you had real things to worry about.

I do find it unbelievable that people enjoy x factor and big brother and the like but I wouldn't judge somebody's intelligence on it. I watch a lot of football for example and some people would find that non-intellectual.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

Yeah I gotta admit that I would have my doubts about a guy if I found out he watched all the soaps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭skinny90

Hardy bucks was brilliant about a year and half before it was being broadcasted by rte,it's still ok but it was better before it hit the tv screens

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

Not particularly but I do think people who watch 'Friends' and 'Two and a Half Men' have the IQ of a ham sandwich.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Sykk wrote: »
    Not particularly but I do think people who watch 'Friends' and 'Two and a Half Men' have the IQ of a ham sandwich.
    Surely you should have answered yes then? Maybe not though as I'm about to say something similar:pac:

I don't think so though, no. There's a lot of dept to peoples character so to suggest that watching something on TV gives you an insight is a bit much.
    Maybe you could gauge a certain type of humor someone has from watching something like the office which is very dry, but that's about it. I suppose if someone watch Top Gear they might have an interest in cars ... ect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I only judge grown men who enjoy teeny bopper shows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

My super-sweet 16 is awesome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭greimorm

I was about to say no,then i thought about it and i think yes,those who watch anything to do with alleged royalty or celebs(as they are sad) unless said celeb or alleged royal is falling on their face in comic skit.
    Other than that each to their own.

I watch news and politics and and documentaries(such as Bear" Grylls) ,the odd drama.The only reason i watch Bear" Grylls is because judging by the way Ireland is been run into the ground soon we could be all living off the land.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭summerskin

greimorm wrote: »
    I was about to say no,then i thought about it and i think yes,those who watch anything to do with alleged royalty or celebs(as they are sad) unless said celeb or alleged royal is falling on their face in comic skit.
    Other than that each to their own.

I watch news and politics and and documentaries(such as Bear" Grylls) ,the odd drama.The only reason i watch Bear" Grylls is because judging by the way Ireland is been run into the ground soon we could be all living off the land.:(

My god, do you ever manage to get through a post without the recessionary doom and gloom??? Not everyone is struggling, plenty of people are doing just fine. Get over it.

On topic, I don't judge anyone on what they watch, TV is for entertainment. Just because I like Breaking Bad and my mate likes Mrs. Brown doesn't make me "better" than him in any way. It just means we have different taste.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭greimorm

summerskin wrote: »
    My god, do you ever manage to get through a post without the recessionary doom and gloom??? Not everyone is struggling, plenty of people are doing just fine. Get over it.

On topic, I don't judge anyone on what they watch, TV is for entertainment. Just because I like Breaking Bad and my mate likes Mrs. Brown doesn't make me "better" than him in any way. It just means we have different taste.

Wake up and smell the small potatoes it is all doom and gloom.
    The end of Ireland is nigh.:( Sorry i open your eyes and reminded you ;)

• Advertisement

FinnLizzy wrote: »
    I have the height of respect for anyone that watches QI of Have I Got News for You.

Jaysus it must be easy to win your respect!

What do you feel for people who watch informative documentaries?

Adoration?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭summerskin

Wake up and smell the small potatoes it is all doom and gloom.
    The end of Ireland is nigh.:( Sorry i open your eyes and reminded you ;)

I'm alright, Jack.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Park Royal

It depends if your brain has fully developed or not....

children should be given a lot of latitude ...

I expect a bit more from adults....

of course the brain apparently does not fully develop

until into ones twenties.....and then some....

so it depends ......I suspect everybody is different , but that is just a

guess....on my part...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,522 ✭✭✭tigger123

Each to their own OP.

(although, Mrs Browns Boys....)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

Channel 911 on Sky has nothing to do with the emergency services though, I can tell you that....:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭KKkitty

I like blood, guts and gore stuff, Csi NY, Miami and Vegas and sitcoms. Watching these has no bearing on me as a person. Tv and movies are there for purely entertainment purposes and just because you watch something on tv or in the cinema it doesn't mean anything about you as a person.

I watch .. documentaries(such as Bear" Grylls). The only reason i watch Bear" Grylls is because judging by the way Ireland is been run into the ground soon we could be all living off the land.:(

Attention seeking gobshite that he is. I'd love to see him being eaten alive by strange insects.

Bush Tucker Man and Ray Mears.. now they are the real deal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

Ah yes, Genocide and Totalitarianism. Very entertaining. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

Why would it bother anyone what others choose to watch? :confused:

I have watched a couple of episodes of Mrs Browns Boys and while it may not be *insert critically praised pretentiously high brow drama* I recognise how it may appeal to some viewers.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭FinnLizzy

I always judge people who don't like Father Ted.

I especially judge people who don't like Father Ted but like Two and a half Men!
    Just as I judge people who like Lee Evans but don't like Dara O'Briain.
    Looking down on people can be very complex

• Advertisement
Advertisement