Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Funding for transport projects in the north county

Options
  • 02-02-2012 2:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭

A quick post to inform you that funding has been secured for the following projects across the County:

Malahide to Donabate Walkway:

Design stage of the railway viaduct footpath/cycle track between Malahide and Donabate. I know this is a subject that has been spoken about on this forum on the past. The Council will be given funding to administer the design. Very positive step and hopefully will result in its delivery.

Holywell Distributor Road, Swords:

Funding will be provided to complete the missing section of the Holywell distributor road off the M1, Drynam interchange thus removing motorway traffic from this housing estate.

Cycling Facilities between Drinan & Holywell, Swords:

Provision of a direct cycle link.

Lusk Traffic Scheme:

Signalisation of the R127/R128 junction at Main Street to promote use of the existing distributor road network.

<Mod snip>

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭dcr22B

A quick post to inform you that funding has been secured for the following projects across the County:

Holywell Distributor Road, Swords:

Funding will be provided to complete the missing section of the Holywell distributor road off the M1, Drynam interchange thus removing motorway traffic from this housing estate.

Lusk Traffic Scheme:

Signalisation of the R127/R128 junction at Main Street to promote use of the existing distributor road network.
    Thanks for that Alan.

In relation to the Holywell distributor road, can you point me in the direction of any of the road design for that? I presume it's like a ring road around the right hand side of Holywell as you come off the M1?

The traffic lights at Murrays will be a great idea as well for Lusk as it's not the safest of junctions for pedestrians to cross at in the first place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 762 ✭✭✭SeaSide

Lusk Traffic Scheme:

Traffic lights are an overkill. Stop the turn from Skerries Road onto the Dublin Road and vice versa and you stop all through traffic. Simples. Four signs and a can of paint and the job is right. All to be paid for by having a Garda catch them delinquents still making the turn.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Alan Farrell

dcr22B wrote: »
    Thanks for that Alan.

In relation to the Holywell distributor road, can you point me in the direction of any of the road design for that? I presume it's like a ring road around the right hand side of Holywell as you come off the M1?

The traffic lights at Murrays will be a great idea as well for Lusk as it's not the safest of junctions for pedestrians to cross at in the first place.

Hi, if you use google maps and scroll into Holywell, you can clearly see the 200 metre or so section that is missing. The planning file is online at www.fingalcoco.ie/planning but I'm afraid I don't have the file number to hand. Its a ring road that leads off the R125 and connects to Mountgorry Way/Feltrim Road.

Murrays junction is lethal for pedestrians so whatever the council have planned will be an improvement I'm sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 6degrees

anybody see plans at main roudabout @ holywell....retail units and anchor unit 2500 sqm - reckon this could be an aldi store ??!!?

6degrees wrote: »
    anybody see plans at main roudabout @ holywell....retail units and anchor unit 2500 sqm - reckon this could be an aldi store ??!!?

From recollection I think you are right.

• Advertisement

yes - looks like a monstrousity, hard to keep architecture tasteful when dealing with supermarkets on this scale...would be hoping Fingal CO.CO will be demanding high spec design to add to the area rather than excentuate the already lack lustre appeal of holywell. Needs a lift, extra activity would be good but in must be a contribution to the area other than stream of cars doing weekly shopping.

thanks Alan

Brian

yes - looks like a monstrousity, hard to keep architecture tasteful when dealing with supermarkets on this scale...would be hoping Fingal CO.CO will be demanding high spec design to add to the area rather than excentuate the already lack lustre appeal of holywell. Needs a lift, extra activity would be good but in must be a contribution to the area other than stream of cars doing weekly shopping.

thanks Alan

Brian

Turns out this is going to be a Tesco and not a german retailer as we had assumed.

Can't disagree with your last post either, but I'm afraid the zoning was planned back in 2002 as far as I am aware.

Tesco - right...marginally better outcome perhaps..

Holywell may be beside an industiral/retail park but isnt one in itself. Would have hoped further development would have reduced this aspect rather than enhance it...300 carpark spaces is some blot on the landscape and could really busy things up while slowing things down at that location

So planning goes back some time..I hear there was c70 objections to Lidl beside JC's yet it marched on.

well there will be some positives from it at the end of the day.

thanks again

Brian

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

Tesco - right...marginally better outcome perhaps..

Holywell may be beside an industiral/retail park but isnt one in itself. Would have hoped further development would have reduced this aspect rather than enhance it...300 carpark spaces is some blot on the landscape and could really busy things up while slowing things down at that location

So planning goes back some time..I hear there was c70 objections to Lidl beside JC's yet it marched on.

well there will be some positives from it at the end of the day.

thanks again

Brian

How so, don't Aldi carry more Irish products than Tesco? The nearest ones are Santry Avenue/Finglas or Drogheda. I would have liked to see an Aldi rather than Tesco myself as a shopper.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Kumsheen

How so, don't Aldi carry more Irish products than Tesco? The nearest ones are Santry Avenue/Finglas or Drogheda. I would have liked to see an Aldi rather than Tesco myself as a shopper.

Hape to agree with you there. An Aldi would have been great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

The continuation of Montgorry Way should have continued along the motorway. Instead, it's been permanently blocked by ill-planned houses in Holywell. See below.

Ordinarily, I'd have accepted this route was not possible in order to facilitate an immediate or near future extension of the junction to allow exit soutbound and entry northbound to the M1. As this was in turn blocked by the development east of the M1, that can't happen either.

An absolute fail in terms of planning - indeed the whole of Holywell is a basket case of how things shouldn't be done, from the uncanny amount of roundabouts, to the spaces in the shop carpark too narrow to bloody well park in, the to odd camber that makes it easier to skid in the wet that any other place I know. Heads need to roll as far as I'm concerned, and I'm talking directly of whichever moron in FCC signed off on the plans.

At least the distributor road will make access to the M1 easier for those of us coming from Malahide who wish to use the motorway, or even the tunnel in off peak, to access the city.

66a62.jpg

sdeire wrote: »
    the to odd camber that makes it easier to skid in the wet that any other place I know.
    Are you talking about the camber on the exit of the roundabout off the sliproad?

Was exiting it one wet night at approx 50km/h and had the car in a full on four wheel drift as I tried to gather the slide! Frightened the life out of me and my passengers.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Are you talking about the camber on the exit of the roundabout off the sliproad?

Was exiting it one wet night at approx 50km/h and had the car in a full on four wheel drift as I tried to gather the slide! Frightened the life out of me and my passengers.

Nope, I actually meant the little roundabouts in the middle of the estate. Unless I crawl up to and around them I've found I feel the wheels slipping in heavy rain, with braking. Never lost control in any way, but it doesn't happen anywhere else. Whether it's the camber not draining the road right, or just the surface being substandard, I dunno but there always looks to be a huge amount of surface water.

Just a follow up on this thread as its now over a year old.

No sign of the works in Lusk starting at any time in the near future (no services marked etc)

Any signs of any of the other projects??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

SeaSide wrote: »
    Just a follow up on this thread as its now over a year old.

No sign of the works in Lusk starting at any time in the near future (no services marked etc)

Any signs of any of the other projects??

Not until there is an election pending, and TD's or Councillors are looking for a vote, all these plans will be dusted down, and become Press Releases, and then put back into a Box.
    Lusk Traffic Scheme:

So what happened to the Funding.

Work is starting on the junction at Murrays at long last.

Just wondering how the 2 week road closure in June is going to work for the buses going through?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭Peckham

Work is starting on the junction at Murrays at long last.

Just wondering how the 2 week road closure in June is going to work for the buses going through?

I was wondering what the works were going to be, and hoped that it would be traffic lights. Taking the through-traffic out of Lusk will make it so much more pleasant.

Two to three months seems an excessive amount of time for this work though, although going by the progress down at the M1 junction, maybe it's a realistic assessment!

Must say that Lusk has been very peaceful for the last few weeks with people using the by-pass as it was intended. Hopefully it will have formed a habit and the ratrunners will be detered.

Advertisement