Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anyone else fed up with competitions on radio?

• 02-02-2012 4:54am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,208 ✭✭✭✭

As a long time listener of The Last Word I am starting to get a bit peeved off with the time that is spent giving away stuff on the show. Its very repetitive and I never enter it.

Would you care less if there was no competitions? Why do shows feel they need them? Is it only to get revenue from texts and phone calls?

After all, the chances of winning are slim and many of the prizes wouldn't inspire you to enter. Its all just product placement.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,807 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Competitions on radio are Broadcasting 101. You have to have something to retain your listeners. Competitions, what's that sound, listen for the special song, blah blah blah, it's all centered on retaining listeners - nothing else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,208 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

How does a competition retain my attention?

In fact, any time Matt Cooper starts to go on about his, about 10 times each show, I tend to channel hop. And if I channel hop there is a chance I might find something interesting and not come back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 534 ✭✭✭PaulieBoy

Shield wrote: »
    Competitions on radio are Broadcasting 101. You have to have something to retain your listeners. Competitions, what's that sound, listen for the special song, blah blah blah, it's all centered on retaining listeners - nothing else.
    How about the radical idea of interesting content to retain listeners ears!
    It's a crazy idea but it just might work :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,531 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

It's clearly to make money and nothing else, Mooney's competitions must make a large amount of money for RTE.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,071 ✭✭✭✭neris

The worst are newstalk breakfast with their a or b answer which you would have to be as dumb as **** not to get right

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Poochie05

Slightly OT but I hate the way Matt Cooper always thinks his competition will cheer everyone up after he's been banging on about all the recession, doom and gloom. No Matt you promoting some hotel will not cheer me up, switching off the radio might :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭mrshopkeeper

...I don't know how RTE are being let away with having their 'txt in' competitions for 1 or 2 euro per text: do they have a gaming licence? Better chances of winning money on the horses than at this nonsense. Matt Coopers competition interests me a couple of times a year when the prize can be very good, but usually I don't bother with it. Marty Whelan has had a couple of competitions with email entry allowed so no objection to that. But the worst of all are the competitions on Ian Dempseys show... definitely not worth the effort involved for listeners or the producers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

That damned hotel (and Spa) that The Last Word uses must have no other trade!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 coolbock

Has to be the most pointless competition ever. Even if the prize is often good. Why would you ring up on the first day. You are very unlikely to get a 100 questions in a row right!! what a killer if you got 99 right and the last one wrong and someone just rings up a gets the last question and scoops the prize. Ridiculous:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

Jesus! you think the last word comps are bad OP? - you should hear the two main dublin stations... fm104 and 98fm... comp details twice every commercial break! once at start of break and then after the break, the dj will announce it again! :mad::mad::mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭heyjude

I'd have more concerns about how fairly the radio competitions are run, than their existence in the first place. I know of one radio competition on a national station, where the winner hadn't actually entered the competition and where the random draw to select the overall winner from the named finalists was a sham as the winner had already been chosen and notified before the 'draw' was held 'live' on air, as there was no draw.

As for Matt Cooper, he milks the competitions a bit too much, making you hang on for an hour waiting for a question he promised to give in a few minutes and then gives a huge build up for the 'fantastic prize' which turns out to be just another 2 night stay in some hotel in Ireland, usually in the west or south west. Also the same hotels seem to feature time and time again. Credit though, unlike some stations, sometimes he does offer really nice prizes.

Advertisement