Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Healthy Breakfasts to bring to work?

Options
  • 02-02-2012 10:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭

Been trying to find different recipes for simple and easy healthy breakfasts to bring to work, especially as I'm now starting to go to the gym and my job involves a lot of sitting about!

So, what sort of breakfasts do you bring to work?

Just to give you an idea what I have to work with in the office:

A microwave
    Toaster....

So not a lot.

My usual breakfast would be Weetabix and a banana. Lunch is usually on the unhealthy side (such as the night before curry) but I can get tips for better lunches from the excellent thread here already.

I'm not too worried about budget at the moment. I'll go whole hog at the start and then whittle it down to what I like and cut costs after that.

I eat pretty much anything so don't hold back! :D

Sources of protein and vitamins will obviously be the most important.

Thanks for the help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

I eat omlettes for breakfast, I make one on Monday night and have a slice for 4 days until Friday. I use any veg, rasheres / salmon / cheese. Lightly heat in microwave the next morning. Also flapjacks (homemade) are great.

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭sponge_bob

Pembily wrote: »
    I eat omlettes for breakfast, I make one on Monday night and have a slice for 4 days until Friday. I use any veg, rasheres / salmon / cheese. Lightly heat in microwave the next morning. Also flapjacks (homemade) are great.

:eek:
    what size is the ommlette?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭tmc86

Porridge would be the easiest and cheapest, just buy a bag and leave it in work.

You can add whatever you want to it then, I add a nut, raisin, fruit mix which is good for energy and protein.

Otherwise I will have weetabix and banana or shredded wheat and banana.

I often buy natural yoghurt too with granola and will have this after my cereal.

Buying some fruit at the start of the week is a good idea too as you can have this for elevenses or if youre still hungry after cereal etc

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭BO-JANGLES

I usually make a smoothy.
    one cup of porridge oats
    1 yoghurt
    1 banana
    1 kiwi
    some mango
    1 scoop of whey protien
    Almonds nuts
    Flaxseed
    Anything that is healthy . Mix it together and enjoy.

Lunch is usually a chicken or tuna salad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Newaglish

You can make scrambled eggs in a microwave also if you want to vary it up a little. Add some bacon, cheese, salmon or onions or what-have-you to make it a little more substantial and interesting if you find it a little bland

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Interesting , does it actually keep that long ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

Muesli is my favourite.
    I like Flahavan high-8 with some sunflower seeds and pumpkin seed added.
    I also add a bit of Strawberry Crisp ( high sugar I know, but a little goes a long way).

Wholemeal bread, Ryvita and oatcakes are easy to bring to work and have with peanut butter, or butter and jam,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Seomra Mushie

Ya know, OP, homemade curry doesn't have to unhealthy! A small portion of healthy homemade curry would be fine to have for lunch!

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭looperman1000

lunch?
    Ya know, OP, homemade curry doesn't have to unhealthy! A small portion of healthy homemade curry would be fine to have for lunch!

lunch?

Did you not read the OP? He said in passing that he eats unhealthy things like leftover curry for lunch. I was simply pointing out that homemade curry isn't necessarily unhealthy.

• Advertisement

BO-JANGLES wrote: »
    I usually make a smoothy.
    one cup of porridge oats
    1 yoghurt
    1 banana
    1 kiwi
    some mango
    1 scoop of whey protien
    Almonds nuts
    Flaxseed
    Anything that is healthy . Mix it together and enjoy.

Just wondering but do you add milk or juice to that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Ophiopogon

There is a couple of good recipes for egg muffins floating around the D&N forum. I like these for if I'm in a hurry and want something more than just boiled eggs. You can freeze them and defrost in the microwave.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭Corvo

Great stuff lads :D

I especially like that smoothie idea. I have also heard great things about the homemade flapjacks.

Keep em coming!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

Great stuff lads :D

I especially like that smoothie idea. I have also heard great things about the homemade flapjacks.

Keep em coming!

Homemade flapjacks have lots of healthy oats and fruits but usually are over 50% butter and sugar. Dont be fooled intro thinking they are particularly healthy.

If you want a healthy breakfast, just eat the oats and fruit.

sponge_bob wrote: »
    :eek:
    what size is the ommlette?
    I put it in a small pan but it's thick. I use 6 eggs for 4 days!
    KTRIC wrote: »
    Interesting , does it actually keep that long ?
    It does keep in a sealed container in the fridge :)

Do you find it filling?

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭annamcmahon

I sell fruit and oat bars at a market which make a great breakfast. I melt 1x454g pack of butter and mix it with 1kg of porridge to make 4 8" square tins worth. I make a date puree, a fig puree and 2 lots of berry and apple puree and use that as the filling. Ok the dates and figs would be quite high in sugar but the berry and apple isn't. I cook a 500g bag of frozen berries with 4 apples and blitz them.

To make the bars I line 4 8"square cake tins with paper. Press down just enough oat mix to cover the bottom of the tins, spread on the fruit filling and cover the tops with more oats. I bake them at 200oC for 20mins and leave them in the oven to cool. The fig and date ones last for a week but the berry ones start to go mouldy after 4 days but freeze really well.

I make extra or keep a few if I know I'll need to eat breakfast on the go during the week.

Do you find it filling?
    Yup quite filling but not heavy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,419 ✭✭✭✭jokettle

http://www.donalskehan.com/2011/02/new-york-blueberry-oat-pancakes/

These pancakes are delicious, I often make a batch of them and keep them in the fridge. You could bring one or two into work and heat them in the toaster, maybe have a yogurt as well.

Advertisement