Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BER costs

Options
  • 02-02-2012 10:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I was just informed by my CO.CO that i need to get a BER cert for my new build before i can move in.

Can someone tell me how much one should cost. I have seen prices between 120-250

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Hi,

I was just informed by my CO.CO that i need to get a BER cert for my new build before i can move in.

Can someone tell me how much one should cost. I have seen prices between 120-250
    how large & complex is your house? you should be getting this done in-conjunction with your architect! who should be scrutinising every renewable/heating/HW/ventilation option to optimise your BER/ kwh/m2/y result. this takes time and is best done prior to planning. I would be allowing about 300 for the process, if you want it done properly. the 1-150 prices are for existing properties where the inputs are fixed and it essentially a box ticking exercises (albeit a time consuming one, possibly with a lengthy audit attached)

• Subscribers Posts: 41,645 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Hi,

who certified compliance with building regulations?

in order to certify a provision BER has to be carried out using the specification of works which are gone into the house.
    It makes sense that if the person who certifed the build can produce BER certs, then they should do it as they have the majority of work done already.

if someone is coming to this now, expect min 150... more like 200

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭badgerhowlin

Thanks

My architect is my brother in law. He has the course done but is not registered to do the BER cert. He has assured me that the house will be a b1-a3 rating min.

I dont know anything about how its set up but with the amount of insulation i have in the house, A rated double glazed (U1.4) windows, my UFH and geothermal pump, my HRV, and only thing that is using none renewable fuel. i think i should reach that. I know there is a lot more than that, goes into the calculations.

Im only getting the thing done because of the CO.CO.
    House is 218m2 and 2 storey. not complex at all. So i would be look at the The house is almost finished. Hard walling is on the way today, so you could say house is finished.

has he done a provisional ber assessment?

is he the certifier?

Im only getting the thing done because of the CO.CO.

im flabbergasted that youve spend so much money on a new build yet you dont know if you comply with minimum building regulations?

you are LEGALLY required to get a BER cert before you occupy a new built dwelling, so you are not only getting it done for the co co

• Advertisement

badgerhowlin, how did you air-tight test go?

I was told you ONLY needed BER cert(by law) if you were selling or renting the house. Is this not true?

Didnt get an airtightness test done. dont tell me if i need to get on of these things done as well.

He has done one and its b1 but he is not able to cert as he is not registered to do it.

http://www.seai.ie/Your_Building/BER/BER_FAQ/FAQ_BER/Homeowners/Who_needs_a_BER_.html

why install HRV without trying to make it the house as air-tight and therefore as as efficient as possible - the best way to this is to have an air-tightness test before you close up/ plaster board...

I was told you ONLY needed BER cert(by law) if you were selling or renting the house. Is this not true?

no its not true, you were misinformed.
    This has been in existance for over 3 years now and its still amazing how much misinformation there is out there.
    You require a BER cert for sale or rent of any dwelling, or when occupying a new dwellling.

Didnt get an airtightness test done. dont tell me if i need to get on of these things done as well.

yes, again, this is a legal requirement.
    And as bryanf says above, the success or failure on your MHRV, an expensive piece of tech, is completely dependent on the air tightness of your house. If you house is loosing heat through draughts etc they your MHRV system will be running very inefficiently, an dmay actually cost you in energy.
    He has done one and its b1 but he is not able to cert as he is not registered to do it.

A final BER certification will require a site visit by the assessor. The more specific technical information you have about the products, materials and technology you have in your build the better. You heat pump MAY provide enough to satisfy the renewable requirement.... but its quite possible that it wont.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Salmon

Just move in! They are hardly going to remove you from your house because you havent got a BER! Come on this is taking this new tax (BER Certs) a little too far! ---- awaits condescending comments from those on the BER Gravy train......

edit:
    to any one reading this. Advising posters to breach law is completely unacceptable on this forum.
    this poster has earned a 7 day hiatus for this post!!!

sydthebeat

• Advertisement

Salmon wrote: »
    Just move in! They are hardly going to remove you from your house because you havent got a BER! Come on this is taking this new tax (BER Certs) a little too far! ---- awaits condescending comments from those on the BER Gravy train......
    this is a prime example of why we need proper building control, that removes the need for designers who have to plead with home builders to comply with the minimum regulations that are in place.

I would not be surprised to see this poster that claims this as an over regulation/ tax issue, will be the same poster going on about shoddy building practices in Ireland..

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Salmon

Im all for improving education and information regarding energy efficient building methods in Ireland. I have spent a lot of time on here researching advances in construction methods while I built my own house a few years ago! There is definately a need for a greater apreciation for energy consumption considering the rocketing of the price of fuel in the past and the future.
    I just have a problem with the need for rules and regulations and laws to cover everything in this country! What ever happened to common sense and cop on? As I said earlier I think that the BER is an additional tax on those that own a house and I baulk at the fact that anyone could be told by the County Council that you need a cert in order for them to move into their house ridiculous! Anyway, dont want to take the thread off topic!!!

... There is definately a need for a greater apreciation for energy consumption considering the rocketing of the price of fuel in the past and the future.
    !
    I think that the BER is an additional tax on those that own a house and I baulk at the fact that anyone could be told by the County Council that you need a cert in order for them to move into their house ridiculous!

"I want it all and i want it for free" :rolleyes:

I have hired a lad to do a cert for me.

1st question he asked me is why am i only coming to him now. I told him i was not aware that i needed one done.

He said was it not in your Planning permission requirements.
    Told him they were not and he went mad and said they should be!

Any way

He did a house visit and took down all the stuff he needed to.
    I had a meeting with him last night and i got an A3 rating (63.3KW) or some thing like that.

I corrected him on some of the info he had in and once i provide proof to him on the insulation and certs for the windows and wood stove I am using the rating will go down to (58.2KW). He said if i get a thermal yoke done and an air test done it will go down again.

He said if i had of had him at the start we might of got it down to an A2 rating.
    He is delighted with the rating and said it was the 1st A3 he has ever done.( And now he will get audited over this!!!)

He said that i had done everything almost right!!!
    :D:D:cool:

good stuff

did he mention part L compliance?

Ya im prity chuffed about it.

Part L, thats the renewable energy part isnt it(my UFH).

Well he didnt say i didnt meet it!
    But didnt say i did either

When im sending on the info he requested i will ask him about that.

Advertisement