Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

KINDLE/TABLET/Reader

Options
  • 02-02-2012 11:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭

Hi,

The missus is into reading books, so thought I might buy her a kindle/simillar.

I read the odd book myself and might get back into reading more. I was thinking of buying her the kindle but as I use and Android smartphone myself(Galaxy S), i was wondering would I be better buying something else like a tablet or something. we also have a laptop, but that rarely gets moved from table in corner of living room.

Can anyone shed any light on obvious advantages/disadvantages of either.

Ask any questions you may have

Thanks

P.S. Any suggestions of where there are good deals available would be appreciated.

Thanks again

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Ballyman

You can't read books for an extended period of time on a Tablet to be honest. Your eyes will get sore from the screen. The Kindle is ideal for reading so i would recommend getting that over the tablet.

The tablet is much much better as an internet browser so why not sell the laptop and buy yourself a tablet and a Kindle for the missus?? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Tablets are no more eReaders than a laptop or netbook is. A Kindle/Sony PRS etc is a far better choice for using with eBooks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭Monkeybonkers

I would also recommend a Kindle. Plenty of info about the Kindle over in the Literature forum in the Arts section.
    I'm getting my Kindle on Sat (had to slip that in :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Bellu

+1 Kindle
    And if want some more functions, can turn to the cheap Kindle fire :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

+1 for the kindle. I've an ipad and kindle on my bedside table. iPad is great for magazines and for short bursts of reading but if you want to read a book for any length of time it is rubbish. Kindle is infinitely better, not the tablet one though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Don't confuse a Kindle Fire with an e-reader. The Fire is a tablet and just as unsuitable for reading books on as a ipad would be, well apart from being a bit smaller and cheaper.

If you want to read books then get a regular Kindle or a Sony PRS as said.

If you want browsing/ watching video/ playing games then get a tablet.

Advertisement