Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Part L and Extensions

• 02-02-2012 11:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 31

Hi quick query,

I'm designing a number of extensions to existing 1970's -1980's houses and these do not require planning and will only be going to site in the next few months.

In my view these extensions are a material alteration to the existing houses and therefore are required to comply with the new Part L for dwellings.
    No works are being carried out to the existing heating or hot water systems.

My reading of it is that the Extension has to comply but not the overall house. Is in enough to ensure that the junction cold bridge details of the extension comply with the 'acceptable construction details' and the elementally the Roof, walls, Floor and doors/windows all comply with the u/values listed in Table 5 and a DEAP assessment is not required?

Any comments would be greatly appreciated

BAZ

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

my reading is anything added must comply with current building regulations..

As regards DEAP assessment, no its not a requirement, but i would look at this differently and say its a must from an energy design perspective (unless your into using PHPP)

Ask the homeowner - while spending money on the extension, would it not be worth improving some of the 'quick payback energy improvement elements' like cavity wall, attic, heating controls, boiler, etc.. deap can allow you to show (albeit very roughly) spend V energy/converted to cost payback

I dont see the DEAP as a requirement when doing an extension but definitely worth doing to show energy/money sayed for a relatively minor refurbishment premium - given the home will be disrupted anyway a sort of 'have all the inconvenience at once approach'

Advertisement