Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blacknight Hacked?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

Just got the same paypal phishing email. can send it in if you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Cheers jh385. I use, different, long and nasty (lovely big chunks of ASCII) passwords for everything, even the mundane stuff.. :D

Control panel changed. Still worried about back up access.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭bobbytables

If you have a web app E.g. phpBB hosted, the user accounts of the app are completely different to the user accounts associated with Blacknight (control panels, etc). Many popular web app platforms tend to encrypt user account passwords using various mechanisms, etc. However some dont.

At the end of the day, if unauthorised 3rd parties have control panel access to your hosting account & from there could get copies of DBs associated with hosted web apps then yes you have a bigger problem on your hands. Changing your control panel passwords will not ensure the integrity of your web apps security will be upheld going forward. There are many layers here to consider.

Unfortunately these things happen & its never a matter of IF but WHEN. There is no such thing as 100% security. So it's what happens after the event that makes the difference. Although I am not a customer of Blacknight, but I am confident that they would be diligent enough to apply a reasonable level of security. This does not mean that they can't be hacked or this won't happen again with them or whoever else you consider moving to. The only reason why we're not reading other hosting company press releases is because they were not targeted to the same extent on this occasion. I would not trust competing hosting providers to vary significantly in their security provisions.

Also requesting that a provider make available how exactly they manage security isn't the best idea. If I had malicious intent that information would save me a lot of time. At the end of the day it's a matter of confidence, but none of us are 100% secure and we all play out part in maintaining security.

A crap user password, although encrypted will be exposed pretty quick through rainbow tables, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 jh385

Also requesting that a provider make available how exactly they manage security isn't the best idea.
    They've already been compromised. The attacker may already have the user table in their possession. And if they have, the attacker already knows if the user passwords are hashed or not.

So don't you think we have a right to that information as well? In fact, I think it's critical. This isn't like the boards.ie hack. A lot of us are hosting multiple sites with multiple databases (phpBB etc). How do we know the attacker isn't already in the process of swiping the user tables from our own sites?

So this hack could have a domino effect on us, and a reply from blacknight at this point on the hash/plaintext question is time critical. At least let us make our own minds up on the risk, instead of giving us a vague "change your passwords" email.
    A crap user password, although encrypted will be exposed pretty quick through rainbow tables, etc.
    But the attacker is less likely to spend time brute-forcing them. If he's got his hands on plaintext he's might already have been and gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Blacknight - what is two factor encryption? And how are you encrypting? Do you mean you're hashing passwords with md5 and then salting them all with a "control password"/secret key/universal app salt?

Again, some more technical detail would be nice so we can make up our own minds on whether to run the risk in changing all our domain passwords etc

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

Blacknight - what is two factor encryption? And how are you encrypting? Do you mean you're hashing passwords with md5 and then salting them all with a "control password"/secret key/universal app salt?

Again, some more technical detail would be nice so we can make up our own minds on whether to run the risk in changing all our domain passwords etc

I dont think they could give that information out it might be advantageous to a hacker watching the forum.

jh385 wrote: »
    They've already been compromised. The attacker may already have the user table in their possession. And if they have, the attacker already knows if the user passwords are hashed or not.

So don't you think we have a right to that information as well? In fact, I think it's critical. This isn't like the boards.ie hack. A lot of us are hosting multiple sites with multiple databases (phpBB etc). How do we know the attacker isn't already in the process of swiping the user tables from our own sites?

So this hack could have a domino effect on us, and a reply from blacknight at this point on the hash/plaintext question is time critical. At least let us make our own minds up on the risk, instead of giving us a vague "change your passwords" email.

But the attacker is less likely to spend time brute-forcing them. If he's got his hands on plaintext he's might already have been and gone.
    That's all legitimate concerns, but I still stand by what I said for the following reasons...

I am aware that the attack is past tense, and existing/recent security provisions in place are known to the attackers, but they are not known to the world of others potential attackers out there that could carry out a separate attack. I am sure you will agree that every one of us will have a notion in our heads of what constitutes satisfactory levels of security. This will indeed vary from person to person and will certainly be influenced by their respective acknowledgement of risk and risk reduction measures.

Asking a home owner whether or not they lock all doors and windows at night and arm the alarm may satisfy one inquiring group at a particular point in time, because they feel confident when weighing up the risk as it's deemed sufficient. Security rarely becomes a concern for people until they fall victim to a successful attack, and then their perception and acknowledgement of risk goes through the roof in an array of disbelief & panic. In reality all they are looking for is that confidence back that they've lost. Most people believe, if they're not a victim, then they're currently immune from attack, and instead it could just be that they're not currently a target.

Every company you use will have vulnerabilities. I am positive if Blacknight came back and said we did X,Y,Z, some people would think "OK", while others would rant and roar saying you eejit, why didn't you do A,B,C. What would that accomplish? Do you think A,B,C would make you completely immune from future attacks. Yes it may have helped in this particular case, but the attack could have taken another form where X,Y,Z may have been a better choice. If attackers want to get in, they'll get in, given enough time and effort.

In situations like this there is a lot more to risk assessment that the technical measures that have been put in place by a single provider at a particular point in time.

Best thing any of us can do is know how we'll respond WHEN stuff like this happens is all I'm saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Spacedog

Not impressed by this, no point closing the stable door after the horse has bolted with your customers information on it's back.

Lucky for you the Data Protection Commissioner here is a limp dick form stamper who'll let you off with a slap on the wrist at the worst.

Not so lucky for us customers who have to worry if you are telling the truth about the extent of the breech, or are pulling a damage control exercise at the behest of an overpriced PR crisis consultant.

I blame myself though, for keeping your service after the breech on the Ragnell server a couple of years back.

Thanks for nothing.

SD.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

I too received the Paypal e-mail, and never normally receive spam on that account.

I have changed my password on my control panel as per the advice. I hope you guys get this resolved soon.

Everyone who received the Paypal e-mail, be sure to report it, on GMail there is a "Report Phishing" option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭blatantrereg

*facepalm*

I got the email this morning.

It never ceases to amaze me how arrogant they can sound when something happens. Same with the time their email system went south a few months back for 48 hours.

Yeah, it takes time to investigate, but whats with the crappy email and tweets. Time for some humility on their part. Stick your hands up and stop dodging.

Where are they arrogant? I only saw the email but it doesn't strike me as arrogant.
    They aren't dodging that I can see. I only know about the breach because they publicised it.
    Knowing details of how the breach happened would be good wrt assessing how secure they actually are. I would like to know that too. But it would be a bad idea to make it public until they are certain the security hole is completely fixed.

• Advertisement

Best thing any of us can do is know how we'll respond WHEN stuff like this happens is all I'm saying.
    I'd love to know how to respond, but I still can't make that decision because I don't know the answer to the basic question: Were the passwords in plaintext?

I'm not asking so I can start bitching, I don't have the time or energy for that. And I'm not really interested in the details of the hash (if it is hashed) - But knowing that small piece of information would help me considerably in assessing the impact to me and how I should respond.

BK can respond to me on email if they're worried about potential attackers finding out - I promise I won't tell anyone! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

so i have 3 domains with blacknight. i dont have any hosting.
    what risks do i face? i have changed my password.
    any other info they would have got is in my whois anyway?

thanks

I'd love to know how to respond, but I still can't make that decision because I don't know the answer to the basic question: Were the passwords in plaintext?

BK can respond to me on email if they're worried about potential attackers finding out - I promise I won't tell anyone! :rolleyes:
    I thought BK already said they weren't in plain text, but as I said that doesn't mean much if your password was of poor quality. If I was managing an online forum (which I have several times before) I'd assume the worst, not just in vase, but in general.

Changing passwords to something strong doesn't require a day off work & regardless of acknowledged threat should be done regularly anyway. The regulator will demand certain things are put in place by a provider. If done, & still compromised, slap on the wrist isn't going to happen.

To quote Bruce Schnier, "Security is a process, not a solution". You can't expect anyone to be responsible for completely safe guarding you from threats. To do so would be to undermine the dynamics associated with acquring & maintaing control even in an abstract sense.

Personally I would trust that BK do care about security, are aware of common threats, & do take pre-emotive measures. If you want more security then move away from shared infrastructures & hire a team to work 24x7 on threat assessment, monitoring & response.

With regards the poster with just domains & not hosting. Check all your DNS settings & change your control panel password to something strong. Get on with your life, this will happen you again.

If I was managing an online forum (which I have several times before) I'd assume the worst, not just in vase, but in general.

A lot of BK clients are hosting multiple sites with a multitude of back-end databases, and not just forums.

Okay, let's assume the worst (not my scenario, but quite possible for others) : The password was in plaintext and used across all systems by the admin. The attacker saw the value of this and logged into control panel, and swiped all the back-end databases from the host.

This now means the attacker has not only the BK users table, but all the customers users tables, sales order tables, etc..etc... (This was the domino effect I'm talking about)

So worst case... do I now start emailing *my* clients telling them their data and their customers data may have been compromised? - do we form a queue at the Data Protection Commissioner's office?

A lot of BK clients are hosting multiple sites with a multitude of back-end databases, and not just forms
    Of course, that's why I first started talking about web apps in a generic sense & only referenced forums as an example because it had been previously mentioned.

Also do you think I don't appreciate the potental magnitude of the problem, knock on effects etc?. The point of all my posts is that this stuff happens even when excellent measures are in place.

If I was you I wouldn't even be waiting for an email or PM to take action. Every password changed. Check emaill address references. Lock everything down to the best of your ability. Check code bases, DB content., etc. Lock the doors first, then check & test the integrity of what's inside.

You will not find a provider that will host stuff for you that would not be immune from
    all threats. I once shared your mindset, & would have freaked out, but it's not worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

Presumably checking your login history in the CP will show whether there's been any logins to your CP from an unusual IP address (My Account, then Login History at the bottom of the left menu).
    If there have been, you might want to WHOIS the IP address and see if it's potentially an issue.

That's assuming they didn't have some alternate method of accessing the CP details, and had no way of deleting the access logs.

There are many ways to approach a break in. If somebody parachutes in an upstairs window, CCTV on the front door will probably give you nothing useful other than the fact that it shows nothing.

When we're talking about web apps probably running way up a stack incl. virtualization, that's a lot of layers of abstraction ultimately beyond your control.

A false sense of security is possibly worse than plain text passwords in a database.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭blatantrereg

MOH wrote: »
    Presumably checking your login history in the CP will show whether there's been any logins to your CP from an unusual IP address (My Account, then Login History at the bottom of the left menu).
    If there have been, you might want to WHOIS the IP address and see if it's potentially an issue.

That's assuming they didn't have some alternate method of accessing the CP details, and had no way of deleting the access logs.
    Never noticed that. Nothing unusual in recent history for me. There are a couple of logins from Blacknight offices under my username which coincide with times when I was in touch with support. Didn't realise they did that.

There is one very odd login from Russia listed in November. Any ideas what that might be? I used the automatic setup for Wordpress around that time in case that involves a program logging in?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

If you notice any strange IP addresses that you did not recognise please contact our support desk directly

A Russian IP address *could* be Parallels technical support staff - if there had been an issue with your account that our team could not resolve immediately we may have escalated it to them.

I don't personally know which IP ranges they use, but I'll ask someone else to check the IP you've posted and confirm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Cathaoirleach

I got that PayPal email twice and another from RadioShack which is odd.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

any more info on this in general

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭etcetc

I clicked on my accountants website last night to find that he now sells a whole range of wonder pills cheap as well

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

etcetc wrote: »
    I clicked on my accountants website last night to find that he now sells a whole range of wonder pills cheap as well

Hi etcetc,

I don't believe the two things are related but can you please contact support@blacknight.com with details?

Regards,
    James

Advertisement