Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Card Carrying Catholics

• 02-02-2012 12:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭

EVERY devout Roman Catholic in England and Wales is to be given a credit card-sized reminder to share their faith with others.

The church hierarchy is printing 1million of the cards – equal to the number that attend Mass every SundayUnder the new Catholic initiative, said to have cost just €7.2 m, one million cards are being printed and sent to 24 dioceses.

The diocesan officers will then give them away free to Mass-going adults.

One side of the card, designed to be carried in wallets or purses, has a space for the holder to sign his or her name and a “clear statement that the carrier is a Catholic” alongside an image of a crucifix.

main article

Hmmm... only one million being printed. I wonder how many would be needed here, and whether they will bring in something similar, or would that be a case of "shooting yourself in the foot."

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

I am catholics however i have no intention of carrying this if introduced here. Reason being. My religion is my own business not those who manage to get a look in my wallet.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,431 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

at 1 million cards, you think they'd have received a better bulk discount. €7 per card?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Maybe it's made of solid gold?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,119 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

catholic_id_front.png

(this crowd actually sell these for $3 a pop: http://www.catholicid.com/)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

"In case of emergency, please call a priest"

LOL I'll take a doctor or an ambulance over a priest any day. Even a chimpanzee with a defibrillator would be better :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Wouldn't that be like a having a DNR sign on you in the event of an accident?

"Hold it - he's a catholic. Put away that defibrillator he's in heaven already, dammit."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

If they make them with the correct thickness for the manufacture of roaches then id say theyll be a runnaway success

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

€7 per card? Unless they're running the latest high-spec crypto cards with four-color printing, lamination, embossing and personalization, they're being ripped off.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

robindch wrote: »
    €7 per card? Unless they're running the latest high-spec crypto cards with four-color printing, lamination, embossing and personalization, they're being ripped off.
    American-Psycho-business-card-scene.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,414 ✭✭✭✭Penn

So the church is spending millions to get their followers to try and convince other people to become followers, which if it were to work, would bring more money and power to the church.

The Catholic Church has actually turned religion into a f*cking pyramid scheme

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,431 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

if i was one of the faithful, i'd be a bit pissed that the few quid i was throwing into the collection bos was being used on such an obvious white elephant.
    i wonder how this will play with the congregations; how many will refuse the cards?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

if i was one of the faithful, i'd be a bit pissed that the few quid i was throwing into the collection bos was being used on such an obvious white elephant.
    i wonder how this will play with the congregations; how many will refuse the cards?
    In fairness, it is a lot more palatable that finding out you donations were being used to pay the living expenses of child rapists.

MrP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭fitz0

MrPudding wrote: »
    In fairness, it is a lot more palatable that finding out you donations were being used to pay the living expenses of child rapists.

MrP

Tobias%20Funke%20Analrapist.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Daftendirekt

7 million well spent.

Though I can't help but think some kind of RFID chipping system might have worked out cheaper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭seantorious

Or barcodes branded into your skin. Then one day the pope pulls off his face and he was the terminator all alone.

Advertisement