Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

seo blog question

• 02-02-2012 12:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭

Hey guys and gals?

I'm in the process of setting up a blog for my site, to help my search engine ranking and to enable me to rant and rave :)

But my question is would I better off setting it up like www.mydomain.com/blog or myusername.wordpress.com? or does it make a difference for seo purposes.

I would image imagine myusername.wordpress.com would be better as it gives google the impression that any links back to my site are from another site....if that makes sense

Any advice is appreciated

ta

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭blue4ever

Personally, i'd keep it under your domain, your URL doesn't have to be 'blog' - it can be referred to that in your site menu - just keep that in mind in case you want to have the url words different to the menu item title - there might be some small benefits to that

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭techfeen

Thanks Blue, but what else would ya call it if you dont call it "blog"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭blue4ever

Have you a URL (PM if you like) and I could make a suggestion

And - its not a deal breaker, its just works well somtimes.

EG - if you have a site dealing in media www.mediastuff.com - and you have a link on the site to 'blog' (as people know what that is).

the url however might be www.mediastuff.com/media-news
    but lets not get toooo hung up on this - its only a small portion of SEO

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭techfeen

ooh now i get ya, thanks dude, the help was appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Baidin

If yer adding a blog to your site, you should be thinking in terms of yer "personal brand" too and linking it to a Google+ account. Using the rel=author tag on posts can (and should eventually) result in your Google+ image appearing in SERPs, which apparently helps with CTR in organic. Google are hell bent on pushing G+ so I reckon this will be the biggest thing in 2012 SEO.

I agree with using your top level domain for the blog but /blog/ isn't the most useful URL.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 ket

I am recommending you blog under the site is better. This is authentic and revenant for both user and search engine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭LifeBeginsAt40

I have 2 blogs, one is hosted on the main domain - www.mysite.com/blog and the other is a sub-domain: http://blog.mysite.com

The only thing I would say is:

If your blog is going to be about your business and relevant to your main site, then hosting your blog on your main domain is the way to go. It will add fresh content on a regular basis to your site and benefit you well.
    But....if your blog is going to cover lots of topics that are not directly relevant to your business/website then hosting on a sub-domain might be a better idea.

You need to preserve the rankings of your main website's key-phrases and not get Google confused with other content that might not be relevant.
    The search engines understand the link between sub domains and main domains so it is not a completely clean break.
    If your website was about 'Pink Elephants' and your blog was about 'Yellow Submarines' then you can see how that is not an ideal situation with regards to Google and SEO.

If the blog is about 'Pink Elephants' then host on main domain, simples ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭benbob65

Mine is hosted as www.mysite.co.uk/wp, and it definitely ups the kudos for my site. As mentioned above, the kudos is only noticeable if the blog is along the same topic as the site.

Advertisement