Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aboriginals in Perth

Options
  • 02-02-2012 12:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭

Has anyone seen these walking around in groups through the city and intimidating people and causing trouble. I was in town during the week and they were trying to start a fight with 2 irish guys who just kept walking and tried to ignore them, these aboriginals were shouting racist abuse and making violent threats.

I accept that like anyone group, there's good and bad people but the ones walking around drinking and shouting abuse during the day in Perth would scare people off going to the city.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

Has anyone seen these walking around in groups through the city and intimidating people and causing trouble. I was in town during the week and they were trying to start a fight with 2 irish guys who just kept walking and tried to ignore them, these aboriginals were shouting racist abuse and making violent threats.

I accept that like anyone group, there's good and bad people but the ones walking around drinking and shouting abuse during the day in Perth would scare people off going to the city.

Generally the aboriginal people you find in cities like Alice Springs, Darwin etc are the ones who have been kicked out of their culture for whatever reason (being drunkards maybe, I dont know for sure). They are the minority, and are not a fair reflection of the Aboriginal people. Just keep that in mind. I know you aren't making sweeping generalisations but I really hate it when people talk about them as if they are all a bunch of drunken wasters, when in reality most of them dont drink alcohol and live in their own communities.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Tony Sopranoe

I'm not generalizing these people, I've deliberately tried not to do that.

I've been very detailed in who I'm describing.

Lets keep this thread open. This is not a thread to be used for having a go at these people. It's about these groups that go around in gangs, looking to pick fights with people on their own or outnumbered and being highly abusive and aggressive towards them.

Lets keep this thread open. This is not a thread to be used for having a go at these people. It's about these groups that go around in gangs, looking to pick fights with people on their own or outnumbered and being highly abusive and aggressive towards them.

It's a bad social problem. Due to decades and decades of serious human rights violations in Australia the government is now feeling guilty about how they treated these people and are just lumping cash at these people on the streets. Hardly a good way at sorting out this problem. With this cash what do they do? Go buy some more alcohol. And their bodies are different to ours and they cant break down alcohol as well as us, so they get drunker, faster. And with nothing to do all day but drink, you can imagine that they will get out of control.

Question is, what is the Australian government doing to stop this?

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭ellaq

What age were they? The older ones tend to hang around wellington square in east perth drinking. There is a problem with aboriginals gangs in Perth especially at night. But these gangs are usually made up of kids. Best to try to avoid them and keep your wits about you. There is a strong police presence in the city at night.

At the end of the day they are a gang that causes trouble, they just happen to be aboriginal.

Im afraid I dont know anything about these guys or the government, I just arrived in Perth a few weeks ago and Im starting to avoid the city towards the evening time from what I've seen of their behavior thus far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

04072511 wrote: »

Generally the aboriginal people you find in cities like Alice Springs, Darwin etc are the ones who have been kicked out of their culture for whatever reason (being drunkards maybe, I dont know for sure). They are the minority, and are not a fair reflection of the Aboriginal people. Just keep that in mind. I know you aren't making sweeping generalisations but I really hate it when people talk about them as if they are all a bunch of drunken wasters, when in reality most of them dont drink alcohol and live in their own communities.

Couldn't agree more with this post.

And it's very sad to see, there is a big history of mistreatment towards the aboriginal community, a lot if them can't read or write English (as in the communities they speak their own language) so if they ever leave their community they have no 'white' skills so to speak, but the government pay them anyway, so what do people with no education, no money or prospects do? Turn to alchohol

ellaq wrote: »
    What age were they? The older ones tend to hang around wellington square in east perth drinking. There is a problem with aboriginals gangs in Perth especially at night. But these gangs are usually made up of kids. Best to try to avoid them and keep your wits about you. There is a strong police presence in the city at night.

At the end of the day they are a gang that causes trouble, they just happen to be aboriginal.
    Late 30's, and 40's

hussey wrote: »
    Couldn't agree more with this post.

And it's very sad to see, there is a big history of mistreatment towards the aboriginal community, a lot if them can't read or write English (as in the communities they speak their own language) so if they ever leave their community they have no 'white' skills so to speak, but the government pay them anyway, so what do people with no education, no money or prospects do? Turn to alchohol
    Well that's still no excuse for them to behave like animals and racially abuse white people, they dont have to turn to alcohol, they have a choice, their lucky enough to get money off the government in the first place, the money should be stopped from them if all they'll do is spend it on alcohol and narcotics.

I have pity on anyone who deserves it but not for people acting like scumbags.

Well that's still no excuse for them to behave like animals and racially abuse white people, they dont have to turn to alcohol, they have a choice, their lucky enough to get money off the government in the first place, the money should be stopped from them if all they'll do is spend it on alcohol and narcotics.

You are thinking like an educated person would think though. As the previous poster has said these people have absolutely no education, reading skills, and are seen as outcasts of society. It's a sad situation, one which the government should be doing more to sort out. I think a bit more compassion would be appropriate. The aboriginal people have had a horrific last 200 years thanks to barbaric British and Irish!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

So does that mean we shouldn't complain if someone gets a beating. It's culterally insensitive to fight back?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Sundy

The aboriginal/African people have had a horrific last 200 years thanks to barbaric British/german/belguim/dutch and Irish!

I was in Africa recently and heard this excuse rolled out a few times for some pretty blatant racist behaviour. Its a really strange theory that I struggle with.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Could say the same about white folk in Perth city as well, it's not just restricted to Aboriginals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

As far as i am concerned scumbags are a seperate race although they are all over the world. If being intolerent of scumbag behaviour is racist, then I'm a racist.

I wouldn't really be worried about a bit of heckling on the street.

ellaq wrote: »
    I wouldn't really be worried about a bit of heckling on the street.
    I wouldn't either if that's all it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

It's not an excuse, I was saying how they got there in the first place. Scumbag behaviour is scumbag behaviour. Though you can easily replace the word Perth for Dublin there. Alchohol and substance abuse can lead to nasty things.

And c'mon ... Telling an alcoholic 'You didn't have to turn to alcohol' or 'you had a choice' is a bit naive, I'm sure none of them wanted to end up like that. But that's a bi-product of a society that doesn't care.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Question is, what is the Australian government doing to stop this?

Maybe the Government should sponsor you to sort it out for them, you been in the country 5 minutes and it seems like you are an expert on the matter. :D

But how do you stop people abusing substances? That is the key. Nearly every problem for modern aboriginals stems from this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

" Once I was walking along the street and I saw a bloke asking for money. I gave him nothing because he would only spend it on drink and drugs. Then I realised that's what I was going to spend it on."

Dennis Leary

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭howwedoin

They really are a curse around the place. The Australians used go out on utes not so long ago shooting them, no wonder they are resentful of the white people!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

Zambia wrote: »
    " Once I was walking along the street and I saw a bloke asking for money. I gave him nothing because he would only spend it on drink and drugs. Then I realised that's what I was going to spend it on."

Dennis Leary

Source?

Can you give me one case when that happened legally? Otherwise you are just spreading crap.

Zambia wrote: »
    Can you give me one case when that happened legally? Otherwise you are just spreading crap.

Obviously it wasn't legal, but they did it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

There is often a group of drunken aboriginals on Smith Street in Melbourne who although they have never done anything to me behave in a loud and aggressive manner to each other which is not pleasant to walk past, but I wouldn’t associate their behavior with all aboriginals.

I remember when I lived in London and often saw old drunk homeless Irish people acting like idiots. I always hated to think that people might base their idea of all Irish people on encounters with them and try never to do the same with others.

The way the aboriginal people’s traditions and community were smashed by the colonists will take generations for them to rebuild or integrate if they ever can.

howwedoin wrote: »
    Obviously it wasn't legal, but they did it anyway.
    When and where legal or not?

The Coniston massacre, which took place from 14 August to 18 October 1928 near the Coniston cattle station, Northern Territory, Australia, was the last known massacre of Indigenous Australians. People of the Warlpiri, Anmatyerre and Kaytetye groups were killed. The massacre occurred in revenge for the death of dingo hunter Frederick Brooks, killed by Aborigines in August 1928 at a place now known as Yukurru, (also known as Brooks Soak).
    Official records at the time stated that 31 people were killed. The then-owner of Coniston station, Randall Stafford, was a member of the punitive party for the first few days and estimated that at least twice that number were killed between 14 August and 1 September. Historians estimate that at least 60 and as many as 110 Aboriginal men, women and children were killed.[1] The Warlpiri, Anmatyerre and Kaytetye believe that up to 170 died between 14 August and 18 October.[2]

From Wikipedia

I Dont see any mention of utes. Plus they did not go after them just for the craic like. History is bad enough without random comments like your first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

GiftofGab wrote: »
    Source?

Leary probably nicked it off Bill Hicks like the rest of his act

Actually it could have been hicks

• Advertisement

Anyone been to Katherine!!
    Serious social problems.

Advertisement