Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

SW payments for commuions-WHY

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Cos if they don't make their Communion THEY'LL GO TO HELL!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 823 ✭✭✭who what when

Well a few years ago we had this thing called the celtic tiger where our goverment had so much money they pretty much had to come up with ways in which to spend it in order to get votes at election time.

This communion payment is an example of one of these!

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭girl in the striped socks

Chantelle is entitled to a nice Communion day too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Another welfare thread, imagine that...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

My tax Euro's are paying for kiddies to get dolled up so they can be felt up by priests. F*cking marvellous !!! :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,464 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

You see...it's shít like this that should be cut asap.
    I've a mate on social and he's off the cigarettes and getting the nicorette inhalers on his medical card and it's saving him about €50 a week..So not only is he saving on cigarettes but also on the cure...it's fúckin ridiculous and these kind of payouts need to stop asap.
    God knows how much money is being wasted on crap like this..:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,133 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

lazygal wrote: »
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/struggling-families-communion-payment-slashed-182303.html

wtf is this nonsense? Payment for families for commions? Why should the taxpayer pay for this kind of non-essential spending?

So that impoverished kids don't have to suffer the embarassment of looking like dicks on communion day.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭working fool

smash wrote: »
    Cos if they don't make their Communion THEY'LL GO TO HELL!!!!!

Ad if they are going anyway
    At least they'll have a nice limo and fake tan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭GetWithIt

Why not?

I'm pretty sure that was the logic Bertie used in all areas of his financial management of the Irish state

€242 for a communion dress :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

The church should pay

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Rabies wrote: »
    The church should pay

Do you really want your 8 year old making his/her communion in a swim suit ??

Rabies wrote: »
    The church should pay

Paying for stuff is against their religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

This kind of payment is beyond sick, even allowing for the fact that so much taxpayers' money is wasted in any case.:mad:

Our Constitution actually states quite clearly that the State shall not endow any religion, but these payments amount to an indirect subsidy to the kiddy-fiddler church, making it possible for unfortunate children, who do not know any better,to be further locked into the religious system, with the taxpayer helping to foot the bill. If the church wants the sprogs togged out nicely on the big day, they should ask the Protector of Paedophiles Everywhere to send a big fat cheque from Rome.:rolleyes:

I know the payments are only meant for families experiencing hardship, but it would be better to give them extra grants for footwear, warm clothes or something they actually need.:)

It also sucks that these payments go to families belonging to only one religious denomination. Just imagine the squeals of anguish we'd hear from our resident xenophobes if someone suggested the SW pay grants to help Muslims, Hindus, Sikhs or indeed pagans or atheists arrange some kind of rite of passage for their sprogs.:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

KTRIC wrote: »
    Do you really want your 8 year old making his/her communion in a swim suit ??

Or even their birthday suit?

My Big Fat Catholic Communion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

Parents who choose to put their child through this know for years its coming up, put a little aside for clothes and if needs be get a small amount such as 50 euro that will cover quite a bit of the outfit. It's not like needing a suit for a funeral, you know its coming up.

I still feel its your choice not an essential and as a child who didn't have money for nice shoes or a dress it wouldn't have been a problem if the photos we didn't have to go into school the next day in the outfits, state and the education system shouldn't be closely connected with this religious ceremony.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

its not for the communion - its for the after party in the marquee. :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭greimorm

Ah this is old news.
    So state shouldn't be paying fund's for the Muslims practicing their religious days and funding their food etc.. or to keep their religious schools open either then? Or Jewish?
    And yes i did go there.:D

What you should be bitching about is the ones who get helicopters and limos and the ones who use only part of the money for the child's day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,721 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

I dont have a problem paying for a reasonable communion dress for an impoverished kd.
    I do have a problem with paying for their sky tv or the parents who claim this benefit and whos children dont actually turn up to the communion.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

exceptional needs payments (ENPs).

ENPs are meant to be once-off or exceptional need funds for people on social welfare.
    It's just down to showing off.

Schools uniforms exist for this reason, just have the church get the kids to do it in their uniforms.

Balmed Out wrote: »
    I dont have a problem paying for a reasonable communion dress for an impoverished kd.
    I do have a problem with paying for their sky tv or the parents who claim this benefit and whos children dont actually turn up to the communion.

I agree +1

Sure there is ones from all walks of community who pretend child is actually doing it and arent,or give them hand me down dresses and use the money for themselves.

It's just down to showing off.

Schools uniforms exist for this reason, just have the church get the kids to do it in their uniforms.

You can never ever take the day of white dress and feeling special for a little girl and boys in their special clothes for that special day.

Dont you remember what it was like to wear your little white dress and feel Beautiful Cap,n Midnight :)

it's a religious ritual and should absolutely not be funded by the state whatsoever

if parents are that mad into it they will save up a couple euro here and there for it, end of

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

It should be mandatory for kids to make their communion and confirmation in school uniform.

bluewolf wrote: »
    it's a religious ritual and should absolutely not be funded by the state whatsoever

if parents are that mad into it they will save up a couple euro here and there for it, end of

It always has and always will be so get over it.Other wise they take funds away from every other Religious practice in Ireland end of story.
    So whine about that along with this.

TheZohan wrote: »
    It should be mandatory for kids to make their communion and confirmation in school uniform.

Rubbish its a special day and tradition is white dress and suit or type of suit for said day and always will be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭DB21

SW AND religion bashing?!?! This is like a religious holiday in Winter for After Hours!

greimorm wrote: »
    It always has and always will be so get over it.Other wise they take funds away from every other Religious practice in Ireland end of story.
    So whine about that along with this.

Well no, it won't always be, because they're slashing it. Hopefully down to 0 eventually.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,274 ✭✭✭_feedback_

DB21 wrote: »
    SW AND religion bashing?!?! This is like a religious holiday in Winter for After Hours!

Your signature could do with an oul crop there.

Communions are a ridiculously OTT these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭StephenHendry

Ridiculous waste of money, the suits that are going to be only used for one. i know its a family occasion etc. etc. but still the kids are too young to understand whats going on anway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 935 ✭✭✭giles lynchwood

Why can't they call to all their relatives to collect the commuion money before the ceremony and use that to buy the outfit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

Agree 100%.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

€242 for a communion dress :eek:
    That's fucking ridiculous. Especially when you can get a very good one online for about €30

bluewolf wrote: »
    Well no, it won't always be, because they're slashing it. Hopefully down to 0 eventually.
    Well yes it has and always will be and no amount of the catholic bashing mob is going to change that.
    Your signature could do with an oul crop there.

Communions are a ridiculously OTT these days.

Arent they? People arriving in limos and helicopters,someone should have that banned altogether.Its sickening how some parents have set the bar like that crappy sweet 16 **** on tv.
    Ridiculous waste of money, the suits that are going to be only used for one. i know its a family occasion etc. etc. but still the kids are too young to understand whats going on anway.
    I understood perfectly what happened on my day,was one of the nicest days of my life and one of the special ones.
    They should however keep the dress and pass it on to their next daughter if they have one and if they dont pass to family member or friend and same goes for suit.
    Personally if i had a daughter or son doing communion i wouldn't take from the state for it,but thats my own personal feeling on it.I don't judge those who need it and do get it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Communions are like debs down my way. It's supposed to be a modest religious event. Either have a modest religious event or don't be involved at all.

Is there payments for confirmations, christenings, sweet 16s?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

ejmaztec wrote: »
    So that impoverished kids don't have to suffer the embarassment of looking like dicks on communion day.

Why not give a few grand for holidays so they dont have the embarassment of going back to school without a story of their great summer? Bring back the extra week at christmas and give 2 more aswell so the get presents that are up to scratch. If people are being paid to keep their kids in a certain social group then its going to cost a lot more. These are unessecary payments.

I'm on the dole btw and have a son making his communion next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

Why is this even a topic? Surely there can't be anybody on boards that would actually agree with this payment for communion clothes? right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

Ah this is old news.
    So state shouldn't be paying fund's for the Muslims practicing their religious days and funding their food etc.. or to keep their religious schools open either then? Or Jewish?
    And yes i did go there.:D

I'd like to see your evidence that the State makes a contribution towards Muslims and Jews religious days.

Well yes it has and always will be and no amount of the catholic bashing mob is going to change that.
    On what basis do you think it "always will be funded" given the article stating that it is being slashed and restricted?
    I don't give a flying fcuk what religion you are, tbh, the state has no place funding religious rituals like this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

My nieces made their communions in Switzerland - in the hyper Catholic canton of Valais - but the rule there is school uniform covered with a plain white robe - rather like the ones gospel choirs wear or academic robes. No meringue dresses, no fake tans, no trashy bling.
    All the kids wear the exact same and the school organises it.

I see no reason the same couldn't be done here...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,600 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

Rubbish its a special day and tradition is white dress and suit or type of suit for said day and always will be.

It isn't the tradition to get false tan, false nails, eyelashes, hair and makeup done at a cost of €150-€200. But that's what people are spending now.

I agree with others on here let them make it in their uniforms or with a robe over their clothes as I've seen in some schools.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

DB21 wrote: »

And it's genuinely justified for once.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    My nieces made their communions in Switzerland - in the hyper Catholic canton of Valais - but the rule there is school uniform covered with a plain white robe - rather like the ones gospel choirs wear or academic robes. No meringue dresses, no fake tans, no trashy bling.
    All the kids wear the exact same and the school organises it.

I see no reason the same couldn't be done here...

That sounds reasonable. I believe certain schools in Ireland do the same thing for confirmation.

Why not give a few grand for holidays so they dont have the embarassment of going back to school without a story of their great summer? Bring back the extra week at christmas and give 2 more aswell so the get presents that are up to scratch. If people are being paid to keep their kids in a certain social group then its going to cost a lot more. These are unessecary payments.

I'm on the dole btw and have a son making his communion next year.

There are probably more kids making communion than there are having holidays, so it's comparatively easy not to feel embarrassed about not having a holiday.

It's a different thing altogether to be under the spotlight on communion day, especially with the whole class in attendance.

I blame the greedy bastards who have turned a simple affair into a money-spinner for some local kids clothing shops, and whoever else gets a cut of the proceedings. Without these feckers on the scene, a communion day wouldn't cost an arm and a leg and be treated like a royal wedding.

TishyO wrote: »
    It isn't the tradition to get false tan, false nails, eyelashes, hair and makeup done at a cost of €150-€200. But that's what people are spending now.

I agree with others on here let them make it in their uniforms or with a robe over their clothes as I've seen in some schools.

That goes without saying about false nails etc.. They should ban it in the schools no make up no false tan and no helicopters or limos etc..
    But white dress and suit or nice new clothes for the boys are a tradition in itself and i do believe you and your siblings got to partake in such a thing as did your parents before you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

KTRIC wrote: »
    My tax Euro's are paying for kiddies to get dolled up so they can be felt up by priests. F*cking marvellous !!! :mad:

Yeah they do that on the Altar. FFS.:mad: That type of hysterical comment is nothing short of ridiculous, and typifies the bandwagon jumping by some posters. Is it any different to some of the other stuff that SW pay for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

Why is this even a topic? Surely there can't be anybody on boards that would actually agree with this payment for communion clothes? right?

I'm more surprised that more people haven't heard of this before. I became aware that the CWO was funding Communion clothing back in the late 80's and assumed that it was common knowledge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭Captain_Generic

I wouldn't have had a problem with this if the state hadn't refused to fund my jedi training

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Arnold Layne

Because Mammy & Daddy Long Term Doler need extra money to go on the piss for that special day. Its either that or they use their rent allowance for the extara booze.

• Advertisement
Advertisement