Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

SW payments for commuions-WHY

123457»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Seomra Mushie

saa wrote: »
    Parents who choose to put their child through this know for years its coming up, put a little aside for clothes and if needs be get a small amount such as 50 euro that will cover quite a bit of the outfit. It's not like needing a suit for a funeral, you know its coming up.

Exactly, communion can be done very cheaply. You can buy dresses in Dunnes. I wore a hand-me-down dress for my Communion, my sister and two of my older cousins had worn it before me. I didn't care, I still felt like a princess on the day. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

It's well documented, in all hospitals that I am aware of, that nurses highest rate of un-certified sick leave is single Saturdays, followed by single Mondays for day duty, and Friday nights for night duty. Sundays (from midnight Saturday night) are paid at double time so recovery is startlingly quick.
    What is meant by 'single Fridays' and 'single Sundays'?
    There is no distortion of the truth here, this is fact. Many hospitals now compile their figures monthly. The information is available under the FOI Act and is usually available to the hospital's internal website, it was on the HSE website too.

There is some data available on http://www.hse.ie/eng/staff/Healthstat/hospitalresults/ Unfortunately, the absenteeism data is all graphical, so it's hard to see some of the specifics. I can't find anything there about days of the week. If I look at the latest data for Beaumont

http://www.hse.ie/eng/staff/Healthstat/hospitalresults/Beaumont/November_2011_Beumont.pdf

it is pretty clear that uncertified sick leave is a small part of overall sick leave.
    For years it was never addressed. In recent years (3-4), hospitals have centralized the "I'm sick.........cough, cough" call to colleagues on the employee's ward, by having the employee call Nursing Management. It worked for a year or so (documented drop in absenteeism), but then employees became immune to the embarrassment of feigning to a senior manager and levels rose again. Interviews with the employee on return are now the norm to try stamp out serial offenders. It is well known that there are significantly more out sick, than ARE sick.
    Are they also restricting uncertified sick leave for repeat offenders, so all sick leave has to be certified?

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭RH149

My daughter's school insisted on white robes or 'albs' for the church. We had to send in 20 euro for the rental of the albs (to cover dry cleaning I think) but it just meant an extra 20 euro on top of the expense of the dress as all the girls wore white dresses anyway for the photos- albs were taken off and handed back at the door of the church. A few, and I mean just a few of the boys wore tracksuits or ordinary non dressy clothes underneath ....so very little expense was spared due to those robes. I remember chuckling to myself that the boys who didn't wear any special clothes bar the robes had mothers who looked like they stepped off the catwalk.......and some of those brandname tracksuits and trainers probably cost the earth too .......it was just so Irish!

I got a really lovely dress in Debenams for 80 euro (not the chepest on the rail either), another 20 for the beaded headband and I think 16 euro for white shoes from Dunnes so it didn't break the bank, and I'm not struggling financially....just thought that was enough to pay and still got her a lovely dress followed by the family and grandparents out for lunch in a hotel. Simple, but a lovely day.
    Many of the children in her class whose families would be in financial trouble or on SW were the ones who had the OTT outfits and bouncy castle parties etc. Crazy....but has always been the way here.:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 UndercoverSpy

There is some data available on http://www.hse.ie/eng/staff/Healthstat/hospitalresults/ Unfortunately, the absenteeism data is all graphical, so it's hard to see some of the specifics. I can't find anything there about days of the week. If I look at the latest data for Beaumont

http://www.hse.ie/eng/staff/Healthstat/hospitalresults/Beaumont/November_2011_Beumont.pdf

it is pretty clear that uncertified sick leave is a small part of overall sick leave.

Are they also restricting uncertified sick leave for repeat offenders, so all sick leave has to be certified?

I mean 1 day of sick leave, a single Friday let's say as opposed to a Thursday (or Saturday) and a Friday. References to which days are most common are often on internal hospital websites (Intranet), and the ones I have seen (available to all employees) have been part of regular reports by Departments, e.g. Department of Nursing, report by Director of Nursing. It is uncommon to call in sick for a Sunday or a Bank Holiday. This is all obvious thou, we all know this is a huge problem that people call is sick Fridays and Mondays (that's not meant to be a patronizing comment). The HSE could indeed incorporate sick leave by days. GPs will tell you the commonest day for a teacher to arrive for cert is Friday (for midweek days or the week off). Each cert provided by a GP is paid at €8. If they don't give it (and they will), the employee will just find another GP.

Un-certified sick leave is by no means a small part of overall sick leave. These public sector figures are significant. You are looking at tens of millions in tax-payers money. It is not about front-line morale, it is a 'mentality' - "Everyone else is doing it, why shouldn't I?".

Re your last comment, there's no doubt IMPACT, SIPTU, The INMO etc. have acknowledged the high levels are crippling to the service as a whole (The Private Sector would never 'allow' it, you'd be long gone), and are supportive re measures such as interviewing, access to Occupational Health. However, it is deemed unworkable to have people pay €40 for a GP cert for 1 day off.

If you do a search you'll see this health service absenteeism highlighted numerous times over the last decade, with increasing frequency the last couple of years. Mangagement previously had a 'laissez faire' attitude, but they are no long willing to tolerate it (political and public pressure), on a par (IMO) with people shopping SW cheats.

I believe I've written about this here before, and what you'll find is there is a section of people who are always going to scream "Teacher Bashing!", "Nursing Bashing!". That is not my mandate.

Here's just one recent article
    http://www.examiner.ie/ireland/5000-hse-staff-out-sick-on-any-given-day-169030.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭hawkelady

I mean 1 day of sick leave, a single Friday let's say as opposed to a Thursday (or Saturday) and a Friday. References to which days are most common are often on internal hospital websites (Intranet), and the ones I have seen (available to all employees) have been part of regular reports by Departments, e.g. Department of Nursing, report by Director of Nursing. It is uncommon to call in sick for a Sunday or a Bank Holiday. This is all obvious thou, we all know this is a huge problem that people call is sick Fridays and Mondays (that's not meant to be a patronizing comment). The HSE could indeed incorporate sick leave by days. GPs will tell you the commonest day for a teacher to arrive for cert is Friday (for midweek days or the week off). Each cert provided by a GP is paid at €8. If they don't give it (and they will), the employee will just find another GP.

Un-certified sick leave is by no means a small part of overall sick leave. These public sector figures are significant. You are looking at tens of millions in tax-payers money. It is not about front-line morale, it is a 'mentality' - "Everyone else is doing it, why shouldn't I?".

Re your last comment, there's no doubt IMPACT, SIPTU, The INMO etc. have acknowledged the high levels are crippling to the service as a whole (The Private Sector would never 'allow' it, you'd be long gone), and are supportive re measures such as interviewing, access to Occupational Health. However, it is deemed unworkable to have people pay €40 for a GP cert for 1 day off.

If you do a search you'll see this health service absenteeism highlighted numerous times over the last decade, with increasing frequency the last couple of years. Mangagement previously had a 'laissez faire' attitude, but they are no long willing to tolerate it (political and public pressure), on a par (IMO) with people shopping SW cheats.

I believe I've written about this here before, and what you'll find is there is a section of people who are always going to scream "Teacher Bashing!", "Nursing Bashing!". That is not my mandate.

http://www.examiner.ie/ireland/5000-hse-staff-out-sick-on-any-given-day-169030.html

Christ almighty, you sound like a barrel of laughs!!!! What is your mandate?? You make it sound that people actually die because a nurse is out sick.
    Oh btw this is a thread about sw entitlements.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

It is clear to me that you are not bashing. And unlike many posters on boards.ie and most posters on AH, you have some actual knowledge about what you are posting about - truly a rare combination.
    It would be very useful to see some of these statistics around days per week. Simple maths and random distribution would tell you that 14% of single day sick leaves would be on a Friday, and 29% would be on a Friday or Monday. Are the real figures much higher than this?
    When I said it is a small part of the problem, I was basing this conclusion on the actual figures reported for Beaumont Hospital. If you look at the graph, uncertified leave looks to be something like about 5% of the total sick leave figures, so it is not the biggest problem. If I was trying to reduce absenteeism, I'd be focusing on the certified leave first as that is where the most scope for improvement seems to be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,584 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

It only needs a few people on very long term sick leave to massively bump up the certified figures, though. This can include people who haven't worked in years and never will, and are receiving a small pension payment, but not officially retired out on medical grounds.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭marcsignal

church tax, end of problem :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

marcsignal wrote: »

Or just tell school principals to tell the kids to wear their uniforms.

Like they changed the confirmation from an all-out thing to just wearing a uniform.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

The involvment of schools in the process is a big part of the problem rather than the solution
    marcsignal wrote: »

Compulsory decleration/registration of ones religion (or lack thereof) to the Government ?

No Thanks Fu©k right off !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭marcsignal

Mike 1972 wrote: »
    The involvment of schools in the process is a big part of the problem rather than the solution

Compulsory decleration/registration of ones religion (or lack thereof) to the Government ?

No Thanks Fu©k right off !

you misunderstand.

If you want to indulge in 'invisible man in the sky masturbatory fantasies', you pay the church for the privilige, not the government.

keep church and state as far apart as possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Its a joke, ive seen kids gething dropped off in limousines at communions and their parents are probably gething this "payment".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

I can't believe that as a taxpayer, I cut costs on my daughter's Communion outfit (to nil, not out of necessity but because I don't see the point when I could borrow) while I was paying somebody else €242 for their outfit!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

Better still take religion out of schools and let's see what the take up on communions and confirmations are after that
    You'll only have the die hards making it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

The government need to grow balls and cut the payment. Then the church and schools then need to come on board and insist that children make their communion in their school uniform. Then everyone is the same and no one can be made to feel left out if they dont have the money that others do to spend on this crass tradition.

It should also be held on a mid week day after school which will cut out the wedding like extravaganza some families go to for their kids commumion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭The Brigadier

I am a Catholic.

This is an example of what is wrong with the Chuch in Ireland - not the Church in general.

A communion dress is not a pre-requisite for your first communion and in fact detracts from what is at hand.

This is a cultural expense not a religious expense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭The Brigadier

CJC999 wrote: »
    The government need to grow balls and cut the payment. Then the church and schools then need to come on board and insist that children make their communion in their school uniform. Then everyone is the same and no one can be made to feel left out if they dont have the money that others do to spend on this crass tradition.

It should also be held on a mid week day after school which will cut out the wedding like extravaganza some families go to for their kids commumion.

I made my first communion in my school uniform but I was in England at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭Nyan Cat

Ive been to a few confirmations and a communion where the school uniform was worn. In all cases they still had expensive outfits and parties lined up for after so cutting out the extravagance at the church wont stop parents playing keeping up with the joneses. But it would cut out the 'necessity' of limos and make this payment redundant as no one can argue that an after communion outfit is a necessity to state fund.

Advertisement