Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Open Suse 12.1 Wireless Adapter Query

Options
  • 02-02-2012 1:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I've posted here before regarding thinking of starting off with Linux and what distribution I should try out.

I took the plunge a few days ago and installed Open Suse 12.1 on my desktop (Dell Inspiron 545) So far I love the general look and feel of it and can't wait to do some more work on it. However, therein lies my problem....

I want to use this PC in my room upstairs which means I have to use a Belkin Wireless 802.11g USB Adapter.

The PC wasn't picking up the device originally, however I've installed a number of updates, firmware via YAST etc. and the device is now showing up when I bring up hardware components.

It appears to have the correct firmware etc. installed, yet it isn't picking up wireless.

I've taken a look at the network settings and there's nothing showing up under wired connection despite the fact that I'm directly connected to my wireless router and have a connection that's working. Also in the network settings - the only other tab I can click on barring 'Wired' is 'VNC' - I can't click wireless to look at the settings (And yes, I am a root user)

I've enabled the Network protocols/services so I'm a bit stuck as to where to turn to next.

I can provide screenshots later if required but said I'd fire it up here and see if there were any bites before I take a look at it when I get home later. I'm fairly sure I'll get it going eventually but if anybody has had issues with getting this going before I'd appreciate a hand :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭boomslang

My Dell inspiron was always a pain for wireless.
    Is the network being controlled by traditional method or network applet?
    Open yast and network it should say! - I can boot to 12.1 to assist if you need me too. It's better than guessing lol

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

boomslang wrote: »
    My Dell inspiron was always a pain for wireless.
    Is the network being controlled by traditional method or network applet?
    Open yast and network it should say! - I can boot to 12.1 to assist if you need me too. It's better than guessing lol
    Nah that's no problem thank you for the offer though.

I'll get it eventually and I'll learn more about Linux from doing it this way so I don't mind.

Only thing is, the PC was being used as a media player so it's still directly connected to the router and I'm using the TV as a monitor so it's not like I can sit and troubleshoot at my desk! :(

The USB is definitely showing up in the device manager, the question now is how to sort out the Network.

I'm clicking start and choosing Network from the menu but there's no wireless tab.

I've just seen the following on the OpenSuse forum:
    KDE NetworkManager problems (fix is in queue) - As a work-around, install the NetworkManager-gnome package.

I'll see what that does for me this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

OK, a few things that might help us to help you:

lsusb
    ifconfig
    iwconfig

If you can't run them use "sudo".

If you have no idea what I want from you ;) you might want to read this: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=935645

Don't memorise, just get the idea how it works.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

PrzemoF wrote: »
    OK, a few things that might help us to help you:

lsusb
    ifconfig
    iwconfig

If you can't run them use "sudo".

If you have no idea what I want from you ;) you might want to read this: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=935645

Don't memorise, just get the idea how it works.
    Thanks - I'll try put them up for you soon, won't be home until late tonight.

I went through this link, got to loading madwifi kernel module but it didn't seem to be working. I need to look into it more this evening hopefully.

Advertisement