Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Drunkest country in the world: official results

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Hang your heads in shame:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭AngryBollix

Love the gargle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Nulty

No surprise there: I saw people running for fun the other day....for fun. This country has gone down the tubes in the last 15 years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,346 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Only 15th place????

Must try harder and drink more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

A 2011 report by the World Health Organization states that 2.5 million deaths per year are caused by alcohol. "Almost 4% of all deaths worldwide," the report says, "are attributed to alcohol, greater than deaths caused by HIV/AIDS, violence or tuberculosis." Taking into account government data, surveys conducted by WHO, and other sources, the report provides a snapshot of alcohol consumption in the organization's 193 member countries. According to WHO, rates of consumption are generally highest in the developed world and rates of abstention are generally lowest in countries with large Muslim populations.

The report looked at alcohol consumed in various forms (including beer, wine and spirits), but the numbers listed are given in terms of the average amount of pure alcohol consumed annually per capita in each country.
    1. Germany
    2. Australia
    3. Cameroon
    4. England
    5. Switzerland
    6. Canada
    7. Wales
    8. Czech Republic
    9. Latvia
    10. Italy
    11. Portugal
    12. Brazil
    13. Holland
    14. Denmark
    15. Ireland

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,600 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

We're only 15th. Come on lads we need to do better. Let's aim for top 10 next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

Is that the Iranian president drinking in Hungary?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,127 ✭✭✭✭Leeg17

15th place?

CHALLENGE ACCEPTED

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

The only reason other countries are ahead of us is because of emigration!
    Too many Irish in those countries is all!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Raytown Rocks

Are the minister's for health for those 14 in front of us also insisting on "minimum price" fr alcohol

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

I'm off the booze. Pizza and Coke (cola) for the super bowl.

I'm going to pretend I'm a morbidly obese American for authenticity Might even hire a mobility scooter to collect the pizza.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

the photo for romania is funny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

They forgot WHO's caveat,
    The World Health Organization was quick to point out that those countries that placed 14 and above have either the highest rates of Irish Immigrants or are considered the top countries in which Irish holiday makers set sail for the sun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

Sure the majority of the people from the countries ahead of us live in ireland.

Poll is flawed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭luckyfrank

eastern europeans drunk feckers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Dots1982 wrote: »
    Drunkest country in the world: official results
    Never knew that a country could get drunk :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

TheZohan wrote: »

Why is that listing nothing like the listing in the article........even though you seem to have quoted the artilce :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

Only 15th

I am sorry boards, but I quit till march, but when I take it back up again that will lift us into the top 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭ronjo

I am shocked that slovenia is 9th...... I lived there for 3 years and in a pub on a Saturday night half the people would be drinking tea or coffee !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Bigcheeze wrote: »
    Why is that listing nothing like the listing in the article........even though you seem to have quoted the artilce :confused:

I made it up. That's the beauty about the OP not quoting the actual article.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Cameroon???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

The next time some prick in the Dail starts going on about raising the price of alcohol because we drink too much and we should be more like the continent. Can we just shove this down their fúcking throat

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭leggit

Not suprised about the eastern european countries being miles ahead of us but Andorra, South Korea and PORTUGAL, flippin' PORTUGAL!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

I don't mind getting beaten at our national pastime by eastern European countries, but getting beaten by a fagg0tty assed Latin country like Portugal! Portugal FFS!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭orchidsrpretty

Love the choice of pictures, as the numbers get higher the scences become more "drunken"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Pacifist Pigeon

TAKE THAT, STEREOTYPES!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭recyclebin

The positions Zohan quoted don't match the link in the OP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭yesno1234

Don't worry lads we really came 2nd, our emigrated folks are flying the flag for us in OZ:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Gee Bag

Right lads and lassies,

Theres to be no more pussy footing around with beer and wine, from now on we have to start drinking Ethanol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Never been so proud to be English :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

Beefy78 wrote: »
    Never be proud to be English :)

FYP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Did they take account of alcohol purchases by the hordes travelling to the North? Under the radar stuff!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,650 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Im was pretty sure that Finland was going to be in that poll too, any movie Ive seen from Finland everyone depicted was completely pissed.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

There's no way the Canadians beat us!! :eek: And Cameroon? They complain about clean water and they're supping away make fools of Trocaire!!

And how is Russia not in there? I mean, I'm not being stereotypical in any of these assumptions, but don't they all wear fluffy earred hats and carry hip flasks of pure alcohol? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭jomc

Cameroon came third? Fair play lads, anyone else thinking Cameroon could be the cheapo drink sun holiday destination of the year?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

Dont go to Yemen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,133 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I'm not surprised the Moldovans are the worst out of the 25, drink is all they've got to look forward to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Crazy Horse 6

Bloody foreigners

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Andorra is obviously skewed by the tens of thousands of people who go there from France and Spain to by tax-free booze. 24 out of 25 in the list are European countries - pretty impressive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Moldova!? Hungary!? This country is ****ing pathetic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭D_D

A 2011 report by the World Health Organization states that 2.5 million deaths per year are caused by alcohol. "Almost 4% of all deaths worldwide," the report says, "are attributed to alcohol, greater than deaths caused by HIV/AIDS, violence or tuberculosis." Taking into account government data, surveys conducted by WHO, and other sources, the report provides a snapshot of alcohol consumption in the organization's 193 member countries. According to WHO, rates of consumption are generally highest in the developed world and rates of abstention are generally lowest in countries with large Muslim populations.

The report looked at alcohol consumed in various forms (including beer, wine and spirits), but the numbers listed are given in terms of the average amount of pure alcohol consumed annually per capita in each country.

1.Germany
    2Australia
    3Cameroon
    4England
    5Switzerland
    6Canada
    7Wales
    8Czech Republic
    9Latvia
    10Italy
    11Portugal
    12Brazil
    13Holland
    14Denmark
    15Ireland

Em, I dunno what list you are referring to, but that is not the list linked in the OP... This confused the hell out of me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

I demand a recount:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,133 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Andorra is obviously skewed by the tens of thousands of people who go there from France and Spain to by tax-free booze. 24 out of 25 in the list are European countries - pretty impressive.

We should call it the AA instead of the EU.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

Jaysus! can we not finish first in anything ffs :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭tatabubbly

Wha??? 15th???

That sucks

Good job its rag week in LYIT.... time to get messyaaaaa

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

tatabubbly wrote: »
    Wha??? 15th???

That sucks

Good job its rag week in LYIT.... time to get messyaaaaa

If you are in lyit, you cant afford to lose any more brain cells.

I'm sorry:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,664 ✭✭✭policarp

We'll be further down the list soon when Joan Burton does away with the First Communion beer money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Czech Republic No. 2.

Comes as no surprise what so ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭StephenHendry

surprised we're only 15th. i thought we'd be in the top 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

Im was pretty sure that Finland was going to be in that poll too, any movie Ive seen from Finland everyone depicted was completely pissed.

The figure for Finland is greatly distorted by the figure for nearby Estonia, which came sixth in the table. And the figure for Estonia was probably even more distorted by the hordes of Finnish visitors who descend on Tallinn every day (the fastest ferry takes only 1 hour 20 minutes) and return home with massive quantities of booze. When Estonia joined the EU in 2004, duty-free went by the board, but the amount that you can buy in shops in Estonia, paying the local tax, is virtually unlimited. One fellow I know bought 90 litres of vodka "for personal use" and the Finnish customs accepted that. There are enormous booze supermarkets conveniently beside the ferryport in Tallinn, and anyone who buys large quantities of booze can have it delivered right to their vehicle on the car deck.

The low price of booze in Estonia has also helped keep the price lower in Finland than it would otherwise be. In fact, the Government cut alcohol taxes two or three years ago because sales in the State-owned Alko monopoly stores were suffering badly in southern Finland owing to the amount of cheap stuff coming in from Estonia. I recently bought a litre of Tullamore Dew in a supermarket there for €25 (including a small hip flask that came with the bottle). Marlboro Red cigarettes cost €3.:)

Duty free also still exist on the ferries to Sweden, although both Finland and Sweden are in the EU. That is because the autonomous Åland Islands, which lie east of Stockholm, are exempt from EU rules and duty free is available on ferries between them and Sweden or mainland Finland and the ferries now make a slight detour and dock there for a few minutes to qualify.;)

Where there's a will there's a way!:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement