Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Drunkest country in the world: official results

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

chef wrote: »
    Are the minister's for health for those 14 in front of us also insisting on "minimum price" fr alcohol

Excellent point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

Yeah surprised meself, I thought ourselves and the Czech Republic used to swap 1st and 2nd with each other every 2nd year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

****ing Balkanisation was bad for us in football and in genocide terms but this really annoys me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

And I have actually increase my drinking in the last year! Some of you are clearly not pulling your weight. Although in my experience people on yokes, meph, coke etc drink way less, apart from water.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭yuppies

Is that the Iranian president drinking in Hungary?

Looks more like Peter Barlow's secret drinking holiday!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

It's amazing how similar the numbers are across all the countries. 2.5 million in each of the top ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

South Korea, really?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Datotrunk

Result is flawed, I'm pretty sure the people doing that survey didn't catch me drinking. If they did i think Ireland would be number 1 on that list.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭paddyismaddy

Only 15th place????

Must try harder and drink more.

15th is disappointing

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

How is it that whilst being led by this guy we fell to 15th?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,664 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

decisions wrote: »
    How is it that whilst being led by this guy we fell to 15th?

Because he made it impossibly expensive to get any higher! I think he did a magnificent job in getting us up to 15th almost single handedly.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

all our pissheads are in Bondi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭gerryo777

ASOT wrote: »
    Sure the majority of the people from the countries ahead of us live in ireland.

Poll is flawed.
    Careful now!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭gerryo777

Bloody foreigners
    Watch it Crazy Horse, nodin's about!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Beaten by south korea???

:eek:

I suppose "beaten" isnt the right word...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

typical CBS

1. Moldova 4.81 gal./person
    15. Ireland 3.81 gal./person (could do better)
    25. Latvia 3.30 gal./person

56. United States (honorable mention) 2.49 gal./person

What's honourable about that , it's not like they came any where close :rolleyes:

oh yeah the important one

17. United Kingdom 3.53 gal./person :pac:

http://www.cbsnews.com/2300-204_162-10011155.html - why a pic with Lithuanian shirts for latvia ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭hawkelady

I'm off the booze. Pizza and Coke (cola) for the super bowl.

I'm going to pretend I'm a morbidly obese American for authenticity Might even hire a mobility scooter to collect the pizza.

" I was robbed by a little old lady on a motorised cart...... And I didn't even see it comin' "

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 664 ✭✭✭craggles

I outright disagree with this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

3.81 gal./consumed per person annually in Ireland.

Are they having a laugh? I suspect the respondents probably thought they were asked, how much they consumed per week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,348 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Moldova number one, beer, wine, vodka and cheap drinking countries first few. Including Russia and eastern European countries doesn't surprise me but surprised by western EU countries where they come in the list especially France and Luxenbourg! 15th for Ireland isn't as bad for other countries on the list! Latvia 25th, Estonia one of the drunkest places to drink.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭SteoL

Dots1982 wrote: »

Link just takes me to news headlines but presume we in top 5 if not 1st.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

We have a high percentage of non drinkers and recovering alco's in this country too which would skew the results.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

typical CBS

1. Moldova 4.81 gal./person
    15. Ireland 3.81 gal./person (could do better)
    25. Latvia 3.30 gal./person

56. United States (honorable mention) 2.49 gal./person

What's honourable about that , it's not like they came any where close :rolleyes:

oh yeah the important one

17. United Kingdom 3.53 gal./person :pac:

http://www.cbsnews.com/2300-204_162-10011155.html - why a pic with Lithuanian shirts for latvia ?

We beat the Brits at something! :D

Hey, i'm drinking now to help our national pride, question is are you?

Don't ask what your country can do for you but what you can do for your country!:P

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭yermanoffthetv

Thats surprisingly low 3.8 gal. is roughly equal to 14 litres. Pretty sure I drink more than that a month! :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

Eastern Europeans like beer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

leggit wrote: »
    Not suprised about the eastern european countries being miles ahead of us but Andorra, South Korea and PORTUGAL, flippin' PORTUGAL!

This harsh stuff is consumed by many people here with dinner every evening. It's unbelievably cheap. In the local Homeplus (owned by Tesco), it's 60c for a small bottle (similar in size to a small wine bottle at home). It blows the head off you. It tastes like and has a similar texture to vodka.

"More than 3 billion bottles were consumed in South Korea in 2004.
    In 2006, it was estimated that the average adult Korean (older than 20) had consumed 90 bottles of soju during that year."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soju

• Registered Users Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭jluv

The only reason other countries are ahead of us is because of emigration!
    Too many Irish in those countries is all!
    I'm sure the reason Australia is No 2 is because my bro moved there! Well done bro..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 510 ✭✭✭CdeC

Funny how I feel cheated....how can this be.

Also fair play to south Korea. 13th and only country outside Europe in the mix.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Cool Mo D

Thats surprisingly low 3.8 gal. is roughly equal to 14 litres. Pretty sure I drink more than that a month! :o

14 litres of pure alcohol - that's equivalent to about 600 pints of beer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

CdeC wrote: »
    Funny how I feel cheated....how can this be.

Also fair play to south Korea. 13th and only country outside Europe in the mix.
    Especially since Asian countries apparently don't have the same natural tolerance for alcohol due to that part of the world realising that boiling water makes it safe to drink.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭yermanoffthetv

Cool Mo D wrote: »
    14 litres of pure alcohol - that's equivalent to about 600 pints of beer.

Ah I didnt realise that was pure alcohol. that makes more sense. That works out on average 11 pints a week. Meh, providing you didnt drink it all in one go thats not a ridiculous amount.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 323 ✭✭Underdraft

It was bound to happen. We drink so much that we've developed a super-human tolerance to the stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

How the mighty have fallen, we were always there or thereabouts. :(

i blame the immygrints :mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stiffler2

Those figures don't surprise me tbh. All the real men left this country in the late 90's and all that was left were the pc, nanny brigade camp twats which is how Ireland is today.

Don't smoke
    Don't Drink
    Don't breathe
    Pay your taxes

F**K OFF

The Simpsons got it right when they broadcasted their relatively new episode of grandpa simpson flying to Ireland and purchased a pub.
    Ireland has no culture anymore, it's been lost amid a wave of gayness

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Only 15th place????

Must try harder and drink more.

12 of the 14 countries "ahead" of us, are eastern european...i.e. beer is dirt cheap and theres a huge party culture to all those, especially for western european tourists.

we are 15th in the world, but in terms of high costs countries, we are number one. portugal and korea (i think) would be cheap enough to buy alcohol compared to us.

i wonder though, does this include off licence sales? our % consumption outside the pub is now much bigger than in the pubs...

if we had less taxes on beer, we would be number one.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭dhayashi

I'll drink to that! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

2 things number one.

The majority of the nations above us are in fact living here drinking up our beer hence leaving us little in the way of cleaning up. I'm looking at you cameroon.

Secondly i'm going to do all i can to right this absolutely disgusting wrong. I foolishly decided to go off drink for november and for all i know this count was done then which makes me partly responsible. I will do my utmost to fix this and will borrow money right now to go drinking and I will also spend all my dole wednesday to ensure something like this never happens again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Cameroon came 3rd...how the F*** did they manage that??

We've let our parents down, we've let our publicans down, we've let our breweries down but most of all we've let ourselves down.

I personally am going to binge drink every night for a year to do my little bit and i encourage everyone to join in. Our sick records will increase but dammit its for a good cause!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Bleedin poofs, the lot of ya.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

12 of the 14 countries "ahead" of us, are eastern european...i.e. beer is dirt cheap and theres a huge party culture to all those, especially for western european tourists.

we are 15th in the world, but in terms of high costs countries, we are number one. portugal and korea (i think) would be cheap enough to buy alcohol compared to us.

i wonder though, does this include off licence sales? our % consumption outside the pub is now much bigger than in the pubs...

if we had less taxes on beer, we would be number one.

Dress it up how you like mate. The facts of the matter are, You were beaten fair and square by the English.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 397 ✭✭Broads.ie

15th place is feckin' disgraceful.

But we are in 2nd place for beer consumption...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_beer_consumption_per_capita

Annual per capita consumption of beer. (Litres)

1 Czech Republic 158.6
    2 Ireland 131.1
    3 Germany 110
    4 Austria 108.3
    5 Australia 104.7

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

Ah we might be only 15th, but we haven't let the side down when it comes to heavily binge drinking!
    http://i41.tinypic.com/2pzi9o8.png

And the women aren't letting the side down when it comes to binge drinking!
    http://i40.tinypic.com/ets02u.png

Dress it up how you like mate. The facts of the matter are, You were beaten fair and square by the English.
    Eh?

Total consumption:

Ireland: 14.41lt.
    United Kingdom: 13.37lt.

Ireland came 15th, Britain came 17th.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

The simple fact is that the majority of drinking is done by a minority of people. I remember seeing a study a few years back that showed that 80-90% of Americans drinks 3 units per week but the national average was much, much higher due to the fact that a minority drank way, way, way more. The figures in Ireland are possibly different but in general the people who drink are just 'louder' about it.

Taking the average as the 11 pints of beer mentioned upthread, a lot of younger people and people with a drink problem will easily drink 3-4 times more than that in a week, which means that in order for that to be the average for each person who drinks that much, 3-4 people are teetotal or more likely 1 person is teetotal and 8 people would just have a pint or two a week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Stiffler2 wrote: »
    Those figures don't surprise me tbh. All the real men left this country in the late 90's and all that was left were the pc, nanny brigade camp twats which is how Ireland is today.

Actually up until the mid-90s Ireland had a much lower level of alcohol consumption per capita. People didn't drink much, unless they had a problem with alcohol, as they couldn't afford it. In fact the further back you go the lower our level of alcohol consumption was. In the last few years it has dropped a little again, suggesting that our 'boom' of drinking coincided to some degree with our econimic bubble.

Advertisement