Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newbie Kayak advice/Wants

Options
  • 02-02-2012 1:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭

Hi All.

I am new to this section. I am based in Cavan so have access to a lot of water. I have done a bit of lake kayaking in the past and would like to get back into the sport. Could anyone recommend an all rounder kayak that would be suitable for bit of lake/river touring with the capacity for first steps into running light whitewater. Was looking at the Pyranha Fusion. Has anyone any exeperience of this kayak or would recommend an alternative.

Whilst I am on the subject could anyone point me in the direction of a descent 2nd hand kayak that would be suitable. Infact a friend of mine would also purchase if we could get 2. As i said i am looking to get back into it without spending the earth.

Thanks All.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭dmg10

I've just purchased a Pyranha Fusion myself, haven't got it yet so I can't tell you how it performs. But it was recommended to me by someone who knows what he's talking about and I'd trust his opinion.

It's apparently supposed to be able to do what it says, a general all rounder that does both river and sea very well, unlike other ones that claim to be a general purpose but then are difficult to turn etc.

Not sure what it's like as a pure beginner kayak, I'm not at a serious paddling level, done bits on and off for years and comfortable with water being more of a surfer (who's gotten fed up of the summer flat spells meaning I don't get on the water!). Will be joining a club and doing the level 2 for learning the rescue techniques.

I've no intention of doing major whitewater but wanted something that I could tour on the river and on the sea comfortably and would also be good for search work. It ticked all my boxes. Got a good deal on it where I bought it (pm me if you want to know who as they still have a sale on and I'm not sure what the rules about mentioning shops here are). Very comfortable to sit in to as well, has good connection points (river tour spec), the connect 30 is a straight bar across the feet for bracing on descents (I think), I like to stretch my legs a little so went for the cheaper spec.

Can't wait to get my hands on it :-)

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭niall_walsh

Thanks DMG

Think we have a similar idea of what we are looking for. As you mentioned in your reply I would appreciate a PM regarding where you bought it/price etc. I was wondering myself about the river tour or Connect 30 spec. Not sure if it would warrant spending the extra cash. However if anyone has any views on this please feel free to add coment.

Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭lank

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=77104218

Pyranha Burn and a Jackson Super Hero for sale, the Burn's available right now and the Super Hero in a week or two. I also have a G3, club spec for €300.

Take a look at the ad at the end of the linked page.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭rothai

Hey Niall,
    I don't know where in Cavan you are but carratraw canoe centre would be worth a visit. Sean down there has loads of kayaks. It's a lovely stretch of flat water down there around lough oughter castle. The centre is about half way between killeshandra and buttlersbridge. He'll be able to give you advice as to a good allrounder. I have a tg master, it's not bad but I wouldn't like to be going a long distance on the flat in her.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 orlagh

lank wrote: »
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=77104218

Pyranha Burn and a Jackson Super Hero for sale, the Burn's available right now and the Super Hero in a week or two. I also have a G3, club spec for €300.

Take a look at the ad at the end of the linked page.

I don't suppose that burn is still for sale?? If so, what size is it? Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭NathanKingerlee

I've a couple of second-hand Eskimo boats and carbon paddles for sale also. This link has some images and specs for them: http://tinyurl.com/69r3yru

Advertisement