Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graffiti on Bray Seafront

• 02-02-2012 1:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭

The kiosks and shelters have had graffiti on them since the start of October.

I emailed the town clerk regarding the graffiti on the kiosks and shelters in the middle of November. The graffiti had been there a month at that stage.

It is still there.

How hard would it be for the council to send a painter down and paint over the tags?

Or, why don't the guys who clean the seafront paint over it? They walk by it every morning.

There is simply no excuse for graffiti to be left up on our greatest amenity which brings so many people into the town and from which so many residents and guests derive so much pleasure.

If it isn't done by the middle of next week, I'll go buy a can of paint and do it myself.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,095 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

A couple of other suggestions

1: email the councillors as well

Cathaoirleach
    Cllr.Ronan McManus
    Email: ronanmcmanus@votelabour.ie

LEAS CATHAOIRLEACH
    Cllr.Mick Glynn,
    Email: mglynn@wicklowcoco.ie

Cllr.Ciaran O'Brien,
    Email: COBrien@braytc.ie / kazu@eircom.net

Cllr.John Byrne
    Email: JByrne@wicklowcoco.ie

Cllr.Tracy O'Brien
    Email: tracyobrien@live.ie

Cllr.Eugene Finnegan
    Email: efinnegan@braytc.ie

Cllr.John Ryan
    Email: JRyan@wicklowcoco.ie

Cllr.Rossa Murray,
    Email: murrayrossa@gmail.com

Cllr.John Brady,
    Email: johnbradysf@gmail.com

Cllr.Pat Vance,
    Email: PVance@wicklowcoco.ie

Cllr.Sarah Wray
    Email: swray@braytc.ie

Cllr.David Grant
    Email: emailme@davidgrant.ie

2: Get active on the issue; Join Bray Tidy Towns or Bray Coastcare

http://braytidytowns.weebly.com/contact-form.html
    http://braycoastcaregroup.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=6&Itemid=5

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Wile E. Coyote

That would have been my response too. Don't just moan that someone else won't deal with it, get involved and do something about it yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭antoniolgj

Don't just moan that someone else won't deal with it, get involved and do something about it yourself.

Sorry Wilie, but I think you didn’t read the post properly...
    zoobizoo wrote: »
    I emailed the town clerk regarding the graffiti on the kiosks and shelters in the middle of November.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭confusicus

If it isn't done by the middle of next week, I'll go buy a can of paint and do it myself.

If you need help and someone to chip in on the paint - give me a shout.

That area is stunning and the graffiti takes away from it.

The question is though, as soon as its painted, won't it just get tagged again?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

confusicus wrote: »
    If you need help and someone to chip in on the paint - give me a shout.

That area is stunning and the graffiti takes away from it.

The question is though, as soon as its painted, won't it just get tagged again?

Cheers for the offer.

Tagging begets tagging... so if you get rid of it, another tagger won't feel the need to have his tag up there aswell. So kids visiting the town will be less likely to throw up a tag because there aren;t any up there.

Also, it costs money to buy spray cans. If the tags are painted over regularly, there's less of incentive to keep putting them up there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

It's generally accepted that graffiti should be removed as soon as possible before it attracts more but local authorities seem to be incapable of dealing with the problem. If it was a private house/business would the owner leave it for months? The area around the water treatment plant and the Dargle are in an awful state and getting progressively worse. The entire DART line from Greystones to Howth and Malahide is a graffiti artists playground and I'm sick of writing and emailing all those concerned but I won't let up. How difficult could it be to stake-out some of these regularly graffitied locations and catch some of the people responsible? :(

The area around the water treatment plant and the Dargle are in an awful state and getting progressively worse.
    It has been cleaned up a good few times by coastcare.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Terry Pratchet

By the way, that newspaper article from 2010 quotes a Councillor as saying that 'Bray is winning the war on graffiti' - that's not how I see it. The shelters on the seafront, the water treatment plant and the Dargle retaining walls are the Council's responsibility and they can't give out chemicals to community groups and expect them to do the cleanup.

The only thing needed to clean up the kiosks and shelters are a tin of paint, a brush and a willing / paid arm.

What I fail to understand is how this graffiti (the easy stuff to paint over on the kiosks and shelters) isn't removed by the guys who do such a good job at keeping the seafront clean.

How hard would it be or how long would it take them to do it? If done regularly, very little I would imagine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 cllrmcmanus

If anyone is interested, Bray Tidy Towns will be painting the seafront shelters tomorrow (Saturday 4th Feb), meeting at 10.30AM at the bandstand.

There will be just a small group of us so any additional help would be welcome. If possible bring a brush or roller and, of course, wear clothes you dont mind getting destroyed!

We will be supplying the paint.

Sorry for the late notice, but a different project scheduled for Saturday fell through and this seemed like a very worthwhile late replacement.

The painting event is not on your Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/pages/Bray-Tidy-Towns/107053662673337 nor is it on your rather dated website http://braytidytowns.weebly.com/news.html

A paltry 177 friends on the Facebook page would either indicate a serious lack of civic pride amongst local people or that the group is badly organised. I won't be up to help with the painting as I live in County Wexford, in a town that must have modelled itself on Bray when it comes to how the Council looks after the place. Anyway, good luck and I hope that the sun shines. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Ophiopogon

If anyone is interested, Bray Tidy Towns will be painting the seafront shelters tomorrow (Saturday 4th Feb), meeting at 10.30AM at the bandstand.

There will be just a small group of us so any additional help would be welcome. If possible bring a brush or roller and, of course, wear clothes you dont mind getting destroyed!

Sorry for the late notice, but a different project scheduled for Saturday fell through and this seemed like a very worthwhile late replacement.

That's great..I'll try to make it down.

That's great news Ronan, unfortunately I am away this weekend.

Glad to see the side of Molloy;s painted as well.

The painting event is not on your Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/pages/Bray-Tidy-Towns/107053662673337 nor is it on your rather dated website http://braytidytowns.weebly.com/news.html

A paltry 177 friends on the Facebook page would either indicate a serious lack of civic pride amongst local people or that the group is badly organised.

The original project (first of the year) was supposed to be a small group with a local community group, so we didn't advertise it.

We have a new PR officer who is working on raising our profile and getting notification of upcoming event out to the public.

I will be letting you all know here as well so you can arrange not to be out of town when they are going on. eh zoobizoo? ;-)

The painting this morning was cancelled due to rain.

Ill post an update with a new date.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 455 ✭✭mathproblem

Personally I have no problem with graffitti on the side of the sewage plant or the walls down by the river; alright the tagging looks awful but perhaps if we leave those areas as a free zone to the artists they might put some bigger more impressive works down there.

Kind of like Bunny Colvin's 'Hamsterdam' experiment in the Wire. Take a zero tolerance approach to anyone found tagging along the seafront or through the town/ on the side of businesses etc but just let them get on with it on those big white walls.

I was gonna go out and join in with a Bray Coast Care cleanup because I think they do sterling work especially around the Head but i have to say I was put off by pictures on their facebook of them painting over pieces down by the river. I know it might be a bit of a controversial point of view but i have whiled away many hours in foreign cities with my camera checking out impressive pieces of Graffiti (eg. along the riverbanks in Vienna) and I just wouldn't feel right painting over someones piece... But I agree the tagging along the prom is awful!

Nope - zero tolerance, prosecution and heavy fines is the only way to go. The sort of mindless pond life who destroy our environment with graffiti aren't interested in doing it in approved areas. If I had the wherewithal I would offer substantial rewards for information leading to the conviction of graffiti artists.

Personally I have no problem with graffitti on the side of the sewage plant or the walls down by the river; alright the tagging looks awful but perhaps if we leave those areas as a free zone to the artists they might put some bigger more impressive works down there.

Kind of like Bunny Colvin's 'Hamsterdam' experiment in the Wire. Take a zero tolerance approach to anyone found tagging along the seafront or through the town/ on the side of businesses etc but just let them get on with it on those big white walls.

I was gonna go out and join in with a Bray Coast Care cleanup because I think they do sterling work especially around the Head but i have to say I was put off by pictures on their facebook of them painting over pieces down by the river. I know it might be a bit of a controversial point of view but i have whiled away many hours in foreign cities with my camera checking out impressive pieces of Graffiti (eg. along the riverbanks in Vienna) and I just wouldn't feel right painting over someones piece... But I agree the tagging along the prom is awful!

Problem with these guys is that the are not respecting the unwritten rules of graff and tagging.... stick to certain areas and don't touch stone walls which are not easily cleaned / buffed. Don't tag houses or residential areas.

If pieces have artistic merit then leave them up - but a lot of the graff around Bray is dreadful including the sewage plant and down by the river.

Tagging is leaving your signature - where one person tags, another will do the same. They want as many tags up as they can get away with. 20 seconds of stupidity lasts months and detracts from the town's image. Graff begets graff so when a tagger sees it he will then take it as permission as it were to do the same.

If Maser was to come out and do a stunning piece on the sewage plant, I'd happily leave it up as it could add something to the area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Maudi

It's generally accepted that graffiti should be removed as soon as possible before it attracts more but local authorities seem to be incapable of dealing with the problem. If it was a private house/business would the owner leave it for months? The area around the water treatment plant and the Dargle are in an awful state and getting progressively worse. The entire DART line from Greystones to Howth and Malahide is a graffiti artists playground and I'm sick of writing and emailing all those concerned but I won't let up. How difficult could it be to stake-out some of these regularly graffitied locations and catch some of the people responsible? :(
    and the little church on the lower slopes desecrated with skum spraying on it...700 years old and the council dont give a crap..

• Advertisement

Maudi wrote: »
    and the little church on the lower slopes desecrated with skum spraying on it...700 years old and the council dont give a crap..

I snapped this one from the inside of that church:

400114_10150563115949911_557959910_8772751_1512792517_n.jpg

It was since removed by the council (I presume) and another (name)piece has appeared in it's place. That one will be removed soon enough and I'm sure another will appear after that again. I assume that they like that spot inside the church because they can remain unseen and complete their work.

I'm sure you guys are correct in that giving them areas where they can work unhindered wont completely stop those a$$holes that will always get a twisted buzz from putting up ugly scribbles in the most conspicuous areas.

But we have to get real about it too; it's been around since the year dot and it ain't going anywhere, you can see it on the ruins of ancient Egypt, Athens and Pompei & our church is in good company with the Church of the Holy Sephulcre having markings from down the generations. Somenone mentioned it destroying the environment but that's a subjective opinion and it's popularity in youth culture should be an indicator to you that many other people feel that done right it can enhance our environment.

So knowing that the council and the Gardai have limited resources, and that a councillor participates on this forum i would like to let it be known that there are other opinions out there and if I see them removing graffitti from along the prom, and Gardai accosting them down there then I am inclined to think "well done, good job, resources well spent" and would even like to come down and help with the clean up. But if i see them chasing their tails trying to keep the giant white walls of a sewage plant pristine I would think, "Is there really not better things they could be spending time and money on?"

Just another opinion.

I had no idea that the unfortunate church on Bray Head had been subjected to this sort of carry-on but I'm not surprised. The cleaning up of such damage - especially if ongoing - is also very detrimental to the building, walls etc. One has only to look at the sea wall along the DART line near Blackrock to see where much of the pointing between the stone blocks has been removed due to repeated cleaning efforts. In this case apprehension and prosecution is the only answer.

As for graffiti being around as long as the pyramids, I think that's pushing it a bit and, to me, it's just another symptom of the laissez faire attitude to everything in Ireland - leave it until it's too late.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,011 ✭✭✭uch

Nope - zero tolerance, prosecution and heavy fines is the only way to go. The sort of mindless pond life who destroy our environment with graffiti aren't interested in doing it in approved areas. If I had the wherewithal I would offer substantial rewards for information leading to the conviction of graffiti artists.

This hasn't worked in most European cities so what makes you think it'll be any different here ? The Gardaí are too busy to put a garda on the seafront for god knows how long at night waiting for some eejit to Tag a shelter. As was said earlier, a designated area for "Grafitti Art" would be better.

21/25

uch wrote: »
    This hasn't worked in most European cities so what makes you think it'll be any different here ? The Gardaí are too busy to put a garda on the seafront for god knows how long at night waiting for some eejit to Tag a shelter. As was said earlier, a designated area for "Grafitti Art" would be better.

Evidence for it not working? If the Gardai can't do the job why don't local businesses etc. club together and pay somebody to do it - no need to answer as I already know the answer. Are you seriously telling me that the sort of mindless cretin that daubs public and private property all over the Greater Dublin area is just waiting for a 'designated' area to work in? Wake up and smell the coffee. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭Calibos

I snapped this one from the inside of that church:

400114_10150563115949911_557959910_8772751_1512792517_n.jpg

It was since removed by the council (I presume) and another (name)piece has appeared in it's place. That one will be removed soon enough and I'm sure another will appear after that again. I assume that they like that spot inside the church because they can remain unseen and complete their work.

I'm sure you guys are correct in that giving them areas where they can work unhindered wont completely stop those a$$holes that will always get a twisted buzz from putting up ugly scribbles in the most conspicuous areas.

But we have to get real about it too; it's been around since the year dot and it ain't going anywhere, you can see it on the ruins of ancient Egypt, Athens and Pompei & our church is in good company with the Church of the Holy Sephulcre having markings from down the generations. Somenone mentioned it destroying the environment but that's a subjective opinion and it's popularity in youth culture should be an indicator to you that many other people feel that done right it can enhance our environment.

So knowing that the council and the Gardai have limited resources, and that a councillor participates on this forum i would like to let it be known that there are other opinions out there and if I see them removing graffitti from along the prom, and Gardai accosting them down there then I am inclined to think "well done, good job, resources well spent" and would even like to come down and help with the clean up. But if i see them chasing their tails trying to keep the giant white walls of a sewage plant pristine I would think, "Is there really not better things they could be spending time and money on?"

Just another opinion.

Did the Bray People ask for your permission to use that photo?

yes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭Calibos

yes

...well thats alright then.... :D

Hello All,

I'm emailing to invite you all down to a (last minute) cleanup and paint job of the seafront in Bray tomorrow (18th February).

I have been in touch with Bray Town Council and have arranged to collect paints and brushes etc to paint over all the grafetti on the kiosks and huts down along the promenade.

I believe the quicker we can paint over the vandels work the better! I have been informed that a more in depth job is planned by the council before the summer, but between now and then it would be nice to make the place look a little bit cleaner.

So if you can spare even a few minutes to lend a helping hand tommorow please come down and join us!

Details:

WHAT: Clean up; Painting over grafetti

WHERE: Meeting at BANDSTAND on Bray Beach

WHEN: Start: 12pm Finish 3pm tomorrow (18th February).

Hope to see some familiar faces and some new faces!

Cheers,

God bless,

Terry Pratchet

Advertisement