Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flying on 1-way ticket, problems at airport?

• 02-02-2012 2:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭

I've got a one-way ticket to a country in asia, and willing be able to obtain a visa on arrival out there.

What I'm wondering about now is whether I'll have trouble at the check-in desk here in Ireland, due to the fact that I've only got a 1 way ticket? The visa regulations stipulate that 'valid proof of onward travel is required'.

The flight is in two parts, first part is with aerlingus, second with another international airline.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

I'm a little confused about what you're asking.

You don't have a visa for your final destination, but can get one on arrival? What country and what type of visa is it?

Aer Lingus will have no concern at check-in once your passport is valid (presuming you're flying into Europe to connect - even then passport isn't required for UK flights with EI). Your onward carrier may be concerned though, due to the fact that if you are denied entry to you destination, they have to bear the cost of your flight back.

If you can sort your visa before you depart, then you should to remove any doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭38141

I'm a little confused about what you're asking.

You don't have a visa for your final destination, but can get one on arrival? What country and what type of visa is it?

Aer Lingus will have no concern at check-in once your passport is valid (presuming you're flying into Europe to connect - even then passport isn't required for UK flights with EI). Your onward carrier may be concerned though, due to the fact that if you are denied entry to you destination, they have to bear the cost of your flight back.

If you can sort your visa before you depart, then you should to remove any doubt.

it's a 2leg journey(but bought on a single ticket-airlines codesharing), first flight to amsterdam, change airlines and airplanes in amsterdam for second flight to thailand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Then Aer Lingus will/should care, as they would ultimately be made pay any fine incurred by the other airline for letting you through without the proper visa/documentation/requirements met. Even if they don't, for whatever reason, the airline carrying you onwards may check at the gate.

I'm a little confused, however - if the visa requirements are to have proof of onward travel, and you don't have onward travel plans/documents, how would you expect to be issued a visa on arrival?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

38141 wrote: »
    I've got a one-way ticket to a country in asia, and willing be able to obtain a visa on arrival out there.

What I'm wondering about now is whether I'll have trouble at the check-in desk here in Ireland, due to the fact that I've only got a 1 way ticket? The visa regulations stipulate that 'valid proof of onward travel is required'.

The flight is in two parts, first part is with aerlingus, second with another international airline.
    it's a 2leg journey(but bought on a single ticket-airlines codesharing), first flight to amsterdam, change airlines and airplanes in amsterdam for second flight to thailand.

As someone who has been to Thailand in the past and am going over again in two months let me give you my own knowledge and experience.

You are not required to have a return ticket, however you are required to have valid proof of onward travel so you could buy a cheap Air Asia ticket to Phnom Penh for under €40 and present this as proof of your onward travels and explain how you plan to obtain the necessary visas for Cambodia whilst in Thailand etc.

Getting admitted in Thailand is not the problem getting the Airline to fly you there on a one-way ticket is and as it is a code-share Aer Lingus would be responsible as they would have been the ones who accepted you for travel and not KLM, China Airlines or Eva or whoever you are flying to Bangkok with.

There is no visa on arrival in Thailand and Irish citizens are one of several nationalities who can visit Thailand without a visa for up to 30 days if arriving by air and 15 days if arriving by land or sea as part of a visa free travel scheme they have. They just stamp your passport with the date you entered the country and write down the date when you are to leave by.

I was never asked for proof of a return ticket like you are for eg. when you enter America and I imagine you'd have no problem being admitted it is just the airlines who could stop you.

A Thai tourist visa costs €40 which would give you 60 days so best bet is either book a cheapo flight and not use it or else just get a Visa.

If you get to the Irish Airport very early you could try chancing your arm to see if they would check you in, and if they refuse just book the cheapo onward flight there and then with the excuse of ignorance and how you had planned to book the flight to Phnom Penh and get the visa whilst in Thailand as "you heard it was so much cheaper out there". You'd need your laptop with you to do this though.

Best of luck with it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12 rocklord42

Stinicker is on the money. If you get to the Immigration desk in Thailand they will stamp your Irish passport with a tourist visa free of charge without wanting to see an onward ticket (unless you look like you just fell out of a coffee shop in A'dam in which case they might have a chat with u).

Cheapest outward flights from Bangkok are KL and Singapore, you can book a flight online with Bangkok Airways or Air Asia for about Baht1000 / €25.

• Advertisement

rocklord42 wrote: »
    Stinicker is on the money. If you get to the Immigration desk in Thailand they will stamp your Irish passport with a tourist visa free of charge without wanting to see an onward ticket (unless you look like you just fell out of a coffee shop in A'dam in which case they might have a chat with u).

Cheapest outward flights from Bangkok are KL and Singapore, you can book a flight online with Bangkok Airways or Air Asia for about Baht1000 / €25.

Do AerLingus ask to see proof of onward travel for flights like these?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭Kamjana

rocklord42 wrote: »
    Stinicker is on the money. If you get to the Immigration desk in Thailand they will stamp your Irish passport with a tourist visa free of charge without wanting to see an onward ticket

You still have to fill in the immigration form with your departing flight,unless you have a visa to stay in the country for longer than the 30 days,and if you do have a visa you still have to fill in the visa part of the form too.

Op i wouldnt worry about it,look for a flight that leaves about 2 weeks after the day you arrive and just fill that in on the immigration form.

Kamjana wrote: »
    You still have to fill in the immigration form with your departing flight,unless you have a visa to stay in the country for longer than the 30 days,and if you do have a visa you still have to fill in the visa part of the form too.

Op i wouldnt worry about it,look for a flight that leaves about 2 weeks after the day you arrive and just fill that in on the immigration form.

Its not really the immagration that give trouble with this, its usually the airline, if you read the thread you'll be able to work that out i think ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭Kamjana

Its not really the immagration that give trouble with this, its usually the airline, if you read the thread you'll be able to work that out i think ;-)

Well if that all you are worried about then dont worry about it,i have traveled numerous times to Thailand from Ireland on a one way ticket and i was never once asked to show a return ticket.

And immigration in Thailand will give you trouble with it,if you dont fill in the form with the departure flight out of the country or the visa info.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 TonyW72

keep quiet! they never ask to see the return ticket - sometimes I am asked how long I am travelling and I just give them a date that I will be traveling back within a few weeks.

• Advertisement

I was checking in for a flight to oz a couple of years ago and the attendant insisted on seeing my visa document (and proceeded to input details on computer too).

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭uponthegad

Flew to Thailand from Frankfurt and they checked, but Germans stick to the rules! I doubt they will ask you but you never know. I had a flight from Singapore 6 weeks later and they accepted that as proof. I have heard of people buying cheap train tickets to Malaysia and this is proof too. The Thais will prob not check either but I think its only 30 day visa on arrival now but it changes all the time.

A friend of mine got to Mexico once on a one way ticket and immigration required her to buy a ticket out as a condition of entry. So on the advise of the nice airline lady she bought an expensive but 100% refundable ticket, got through emigration and got a full refund the next day over the phone.

Advertisement