Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Club meetings suggestions...

• 02-02-2012 2:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭

Hello all,

I'm a member of the Athy camera club and I'm looking for ideas to retain
    members and attract new members.

We run internal competitions and workshops, we're starting to get involved with other clubs but we need to do more field outings.

Would really appreciate it if people could make a few suggestions on activities we could do in the club to keep people
    interested.

Thanks, Noel.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭bullpost

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭kelly1

bullpost wrote: »
    Thanks for that. I've just edited my post to clarify what I'm asking :)

We've had a drop in club attendance and the club needs an adrenaline shot to get it moving again. So I'm looking for ideas to keep people interested and to attract new members. Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭bullpost

You're doing the right thing.
    Get people actively involved as much as possible and provide lots of ops. to take photos. These days with strobist kit so affordable its really easy to always be taking shots and learning new stuff regardless of the weather conditions.

Also ask your members to help with suggestions and organise some outings themselves.

kelly1 wrote: »
    Thanks for that. I've just edited my post to clarify what I'm asking :)

We've had a drop in club attendance and the club needs an adrenaline shot to get it moving again. So I'm looking for ideas to keep people interested and to attract new members. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 monosnaps

You will always lose a few members this time of the year, but a well planned calendar with a guest speaker each month might help, send out mails reminding members who the guest is a week or two before the event or do text broadcasts and maybe a link to their photographs, keep members informed.
    A studio night or lighting night is always good fun even a low tech lighting night using household lights.
    Another idea is a project based night where members produce a panel of 4 images on any choosen subject, with a few novelty prizes Easter Eggs for example just to highlight the fun element.
    A print battle where a member is judge and the other members are divided into two groups, judge picks a subject something like "red" or "clouds" and each team produces an agreed print. Judge picks best print and they get point, highest at end of night wins. This can also be done with another club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭kelly1

Thanks for that Monoshaps. Very helpful.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Ballyman

Get in a few guest speakers also will help keep people interested. Use the guest speaker to be a judge for a competition etc on the night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

We have guest speakers once a month. We also ask them to judge out monthly competitions.

So far, it's been great.

Boards is a great resource for speakers on select topics.

Personally, I've also given talks (on sports photography) and judged competitions in other clubs. Always interesting and fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,161 ✭✭✭nilhg

Paulw wrote: »
    We have guest speakers once a month. We also ask them to judge out monthly competitions.

So far, it's been great.

Boards is a great resource for speakers on select topics.

Personally, I've also given talks (on sports photography) and judged competitions in other clubs. Always interesting and fun.

Absolutely, quite a few folks from here have been down to Newbridge to enlighten us including Paulw, many thanks folks.

Advertisement