Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

replacing a 50 hx

• 02-02-2012 3:46pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭

have a 50 hx one of the last ones hich i love but im going to trade it in for something fresher soon. was looking either at terex 860 2005 or else a massey 6465 with a loader on it. thing is i dont really need another tractor as i already have a fiat f140, 110-90 and ford 5000. the only jobs this machine will have to do is feed cattle in the winter and put up silage in the summer for myself. i havent put up the silage before normally get a local in to put it up since we use only a trailed harvestor so figure i should be able to keep up with it. would a tractor put up silage with the loader? i have in my minjd to go with the 860 because i like the torque idea and suspect it woyuld be very hard to go back to the slow hydraulics of a tractor. what do ye have and how do ye find it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

f140 wrote: »
    have a 50 hx one of the last ones hich i love but im going to trade it in for something fresher soon. was looking either at terex 860 2005 or else a massey 6465 with a loader on it. thing is i dont really need another tractor as i already have a fiat f140, 110-90 and ford 5000. the only jobs this machine will have to do is feed cattle in the winter and put up silage in the summer for myself. i havent put up the silage before normally get a local in to put it up since we use only a trailed harvestor so figure i should be able to keep up with it. would a tractor put up silage with the loader? i have in my minjd to go with the 860 because i like the torque idea and suspect it woyuld be very hard to go back to the slow hydraulics of a tractor. what do ye have and how do ye find it?

found this on youtube,
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMSDe6yM6b0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭cjpm

I was thinking about the same clip.

Looks good enough at the job there, BUT that pit is very flat and not high. I'd prefer dual wheels on the back of her for stability, silage pits are soft with an occasional hole or too!! Duals would be better for rolling the pit too and would also help keep the backactor up off the pit as ground clearance is limited enough by the looks of it .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

does anyone know what hes mixing through the pit or does anyone on hire mix up combinations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭6480

1chippy wrote: »
    does anyone know what hes mixing through the pit or does anyone on hire mix up combinations.

i says its some thing to preserve the grass , i would go for the 860 or the bigger model but they are hard to find 960 , my friend pushes alot of grass up wit an 860 he has extra wide agri tyres all round on it and the back actor removed , i think the only serect is to clean the front rad out every day but hes getting a lad to fit some kind of reversible fan to it for this season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 146 ✭✭denis086

We were in the same position ourselves the 50hxs got a little hot one day and we ended up with a terex960 the 4 wheel steer is a great job wouldnt be without it now around some of the sheds. Weve put up over 1000 hrs in 12mths.
    The parrallel lift on the terexs is nothing compared to the hx and a huge backwards step imo i took it off in the end and the single ram set up is another backwards step the wear is focused on one one ram not two we never had a problem with the hxs with wear but theres definitely a looseness in the 960 already :confused:.
    As for them on the pit we had the 50hxs on the pit for 21 yrs duals are a must on them imo. If you set them up right and dont expect them to match a volvo and just work at a constant rate youll keep a jf 1050 at bay or a wagon. And theres a few modifications like fitting more perforated sheeting to stop grass getting into the rad up around the front axle and the oil cooler is mounted right up against the rad aswell so you can shift that out by 45mm with a bracket to allow you to clean it out with out having to undo a couple of bolts to clean it! We drop the back bucket off at silage and just keep it right in against the back our machine is on the smaller half ag half industrial tyres far from ideal on the pit or in the field
    And just so you know theyre still a sweat box at silage time there is nothing to deflect the heat from the engine etc so no change from the hxs there :D
    As for a tractor putting it up with a loader i wouldnt do it to the tractor tbh. Itd be alot of weight very far forward if you went down that route get a linkage mounted one would be the only way id do it, a front linkage would be the job. But ive put it up as much of it looking over my shoulder as looking forward. ;) Although if your like us we couldnt function without the backactor around

• Advertisement
Advertisement