Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Financial Institutions and the recording of calls

• 02-02-2012 4:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

Hopefully a quick one. I was under the impression that Financial Institutions have to record all calls. Is this correct.

More so interested in local bank branches and national Customer Care.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

RangeR wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Hopefully a quick one. I was under the impression that Financial Institutions have to record all calls. Is this correct.

More so interested in local bank branches and national Customer Care.

Thanks

Don't have to but most do. Generally for training purposes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,345 ✭✭✭phormium

Can't get answer as to whether they have to or not but I doubt it, most of them say your call MAY be recorded. I worked for a major financial institution until fairly recently in a branch and our calls were definitely not recorded despite the messages saying they may be recorded. Better chance of them being recorded in a call centre I would think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Branch calls generally wouldn't be.

Call centres, which would have the infrastructure to do so, would be more likely to record the calls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,476 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Banks generally require a signature on a document for something to be wrapped up in the legal sense but motor insurance companies and stockbrokers often take instructions over the phone e.g. to buy/sell shares or to make a change to a motor policy so they cover their collective asses by recording every call but I doubt if bank branches do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Call centres - yes, sometimes.
    Treasury departments (where exchange and interest rates are fixed / agreed by telephone) - yes.
    Branches - no.

• Advertisement
Advertisement