Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Contract of employment

Options
  • 02-02-2012 4:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭

Looking for some advice?

My contract of employment does not state if I am permanent or fixed term.

There is no reference to the nature of the contract other than my first 6 months are probationary with the view to extend.

Do I take it that as there is a probationary period that I am working under a 6 month contract.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

You need to talk to a solicitor to know for sure I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Before you go to a solicitor, I'm sure your manager or HR representative could advise you on this. It's not like you are asking anything contentious.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

curraghyid wrote: »
    Looking for some advice?

My contract of employment does not state if I am permanent or fixed term.

There is no reference to the nature of the contract other than my first 6 months are probationary with the view to extend.

Do I take it that as there is a probationary period that I am working under a 6 month contract.

Eoin's right that you need a solicitor to be sure.

But unless a term is specified, then I'd expect it to be a permanent contract. The legal jargon for this is "contract of indefinite duration", but I've never seen this phrase in a contract ... only in ones that were pointing out that they weren't this type.

Advertisement