Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Re: What size braid do you use for lure fishing?

Options
  • 02-02-2012 6:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭

I have a 9ft extra heavy spinning rod, I'm using 20lb braid for lure fishing for pike, perch and I might do a bit of spinning in the sea. How many pound braid would you use for these activities?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

I have a 9ft extra heavy spinning rod, I'm using 20lb braid for lure fishing for pike, perch and I might do a bit of spinning in the sea. How many pound braid would you use for these activities?

You may get caught short for Pike, I have 35lb braid. I use the same braid for perch etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Im using 40lb braid myself. No fishing this year though.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭skipz

When I was fishing for pike id use 20lb braid and use that same braid for lure fishing at sea. I was using power pro 20lb a few times mac bashing off rocks and not one time I ever lose a trace, bent hooks before the braid gave way.
    In Australia now and most people fishing for sharks on the beach use 40/50lb braid, so i think using something that high for lure fishing for pike is a bit mad, unless your using poor braid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

60lb suffix stuff for regular lures

80lb whiplash for big lures/jerkbaits

It helps for when getting snagged. Thats all.

The 40lb whiplash braid i use is 0.15mm
    20lb monofilament is 0.4mm

So i dont see too much of a problem. Not that i know much about it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭tin79

80 for bigger jerks and softs, 30 for small lures on the canal etc. 30 for bass or 60 in really snaggy spots for bass and pollock,

30 for wrasse also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Not sure about the sea, but for pike and perch 20lb is fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Not for big lure fishing....
    If you had a tangle during a cast 20lb braid would snap like nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭Jaffusmaximus

A mono leader works best with lures, Braid could spook a fish. For every oz x 10lb Line!

4oz lure/weight use 40lb Shock leader of mono.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 andrey

guys. 8lb - 10lb braid is more than enough fo pike fishing
    I use 8lb

• Advertisement

andrey wrote: »
    I use 8lb

You must be fishing in places with tiled finishes on the bottom, the slightest snag and thats gone. Not great for the pike either, leaving the lure in the pike if the line should snag and/or break.

For Pike I use 50LBS Braid with a 18lbs mono Leader then Wire Trace! No chance of a hooked Pike and a broken line!

With the above I have max feel on my lures,spinners and spoons and a decent casting distance :)

robbie7730 wrote: »
    You must be fishing in places with tiled finishes on the bottom, the slightest snag and thats gone. Not great for the pike either, leaving the lure in the pike if the line should snag and/or break.

Yeap the Pikes welfare needs to be taken into account as much as possible!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

I only use braid for spinning, and i use 50-60lb braid. I dont see the point in only using 20lb braid, the main reason i use braid is you done lose that much tackle in snags, unlike mono. also if you lock up your reel and take a step backwards by 2 feet, your end tackle moves 2 feet, unlike mono!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭tin79

I use 8lb

Its nowhere near enough, youre kidding yourself. Either that or you are trolling (and I dont mean the angling type of trolling).

Please nobody listen to this persons advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭Allround Predator

I use 8lb

A lure wouldn't last five seconds 10lb line, it would snap as soon as you got snagged. I would only use 10lb braid as a main line if I was using a swim feeder or a method feeder.

Essential Kit for Irish Piking

Anglers should use strong wire over 30 lbs. (13.60 Kg.). test for trace material, and a reel line of over 15 lbs. (6.8 Kg.) monofilament test or 30 lbs. (13.6 Kg.) braid. Size 6 to 8 strong wired trebles are advised for deadbait rigs. Size 2 to 6 strong wired treble hooks for wobbling or trolling deadbait rigs. Many anglers either pinch the barbs on the hooks or use barbless altogether. For fly fishing, size 1 to 6/0 can be used. Some pike flies can incorporate a weed guard. Good long strong forceps should be used to extract hooks. When fishing static baits, the tackle should not be left unattebded and a reliable form of bite detection should always be used. Electronic bite alarms and drop off bite indicators combined on rod stands or a rod pod are excellent for use in static fishing.

Source http://www.fishinginireland.info/pike/pmethods.htm

Read up and get good advice from reliable sources before you want to start catching fish in Ireland. Irelands Fishing spots are the envy of Europe because we respect our fish!

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Cdub

9kg Power Pro. No reason to go lighter, the diameter of it is as thin as you will ever need.

Advertisement