Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

anyone shooting a .300 win mag

• 02-02-2012 7:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭

Hi is there anyone here shooting a 300 win mag for target shooting looking for advice on barrel length rate of twist need to reach 1000 yards amount of moa in pictinny rail and mounts any help welcome no other caliber info needed just 300 win mag thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Never shot a .300 WinMag out at distance, and they are not (commonly) used for target shooting so the following is based solely on guesstimation.
    • Barrel length - 30" to maintain speed and velocity out to 1,000
    • Twist rate - 1:10 or 1:9. Anything slower may limit you to lighter rounds ONLY, but either of these ould suit most rounds from 165 to 220. Most likely on the heavier end though.
    • Mounts - .300 WinMag is "kicky", and needs a good set of mounts. NF, Near, Ken Farrel, some models of Warne.
    • Picatinny rail - 20 MOa will be sifficient to keep you able to zero at 100, and leave plent of MOA on scope for adjustment.
    Perhaps dwight would be able to shine more light on the matter as he has a lovely .300 WinMag, and actual experience with ammo, twist, etc.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭Gonzor

Not meaning to contradict you Ezridax, but a lot of people (on US forums I have to admit) are able to accurately hit the 1000 yards with a 308... so why would he need a 30 inch barrel for a 1000 yard shot with a 300 win mag... :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭steyrman2

What im reading up on is 26 inch barrel will reach 1000 yards pictinny rail with 20 moa is fine not worried about recoil the rifle im looking at has a 1-10 twist

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭Gonzor

steyrman2 wrote: »
    What im reading up on is 26 inch barrel will reach 1000 yards pictinny rail with 20 moa is fine not worried about recoil the rifle im looking at has a 1-10 twist

Do you mind me asking how you are going to explain this caliber to the chief super... would love one myself, but I can just imagine the interview with the chief super.... it wouldnt end well at all :D :rolleyes:

Gonzor wrote: »
    Do you mind me asking how you are going to explain this caliber to the chief super... would love one myself, but I can just imagine the interview with the chief super.... it wouldnt end well at all :D :rolleyes:

Hi should not be to hard as i have a .308 for a few years the 300 is not restricted as far as i know i will use it for stalking as well

• Advertisement

Not meaning to contradict you Ezridax, but a lot of people (on US forums I have to admit) are able to accurately hit the 1000 yards with a 308
    Of course they are. I do the same myself.:confused:
    ... so why would he need a 30 inch barrel for a 1000 yard shot with a 300 win mag... :confused:
    He doesn't need a 30" barrel, but he asked about 1,000 yard target shooting, and a 30" barrel has been shown to be the "standard" for achieving/maintaining stability, speed, etc out to that distance.
    steyrman2 wrote: »
    A 26" barrel will work fine. Lttle more work in terms of elevation, and possibly windage, but well able to do it.
    Do you mind me asking how you are going to explain this caliber to the chief super...
    As an unrestricted firearm the Chief Super will have nothing to do with it.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭poulo6.5

hi steyrman.

i was having a conversation with a lad about this subject only the other day,

the conclusion we came to was that because the head space was determined by the belt {belted magnum}. you wont get consistent seating.

i know you said you dont want to know about any other calibre but the 300wssm would be a better option.

only looking at ballistics and doing a bit of research in the past for my own reasons, you will be able to push large bullets with high bc to 1000y and beyond with no problem, how accurately is the next question.

i have only ever fired a couple of 300's and never owned one so i cant give any concrete answers

i look forward to hearing how you get on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭customrifle

Is it casual targets at 1000 or f class? If your looking at f class a fella in the states won f open couple years ago with a 300wsm running the heavy 210gr bullets. But if your building a rifle a straight 284 will give you double the barrel life or more of the more popular cals, i.e 7wsm, 6.5 x 284. And you can still run the heavier grain heads.
    Ive only ever shot a unique alpine in 300win mag at distance but it was quite accurate and surprisingly comfortable to shoot.
    If its just casual targets at 1000yd, id personally love a remington sendaro in 300win mag:cool:, but i still have to finish my 308 build and my wedding is coming up so thats all on the back burner..........for now:D Steyr used to do a heavy barrel version that looked nice and im sure the tikka varmint in that cal would shoot as well. I would def like a brake or suppressor on any of the lighter rifles like that though!
    Only thing id say is alot of guys get a buzz for the 300win mag and buy one or get one built, and some come to admit after that its too uncomfortable recoil wise to enjoy the shooting.
    Whatever you choose good luck with it and stick up some pics :D

Is it casual targets at 1000 or f class?
    I would imagine the OP wants it for informal target shooting. As in not F-Class. With a .300 Win Mag and 26" barrel it would not be good enough to be competitve in F-Open shooting.
    Only thing id say is alot of guys get a buzz for the 300win mag and buy one or get one built, and some come to admit after that its too uncomfortable recoil wise to enjoy the shooting.
    Heard the same thing. Recoil won't bother me. After 2+20 each week they changed their mind.

If its a hunter/target crossover i would focus more on the hunting end of it. To get it up to target standard would leave it almost unuseable for hunting. Have it set up for hunting with the rail, mounts, and scope that would allow you to do the occassional long distance work.

Just a suggestion, but as said above best of luck with whatever ya go for.

The plan is to shoot the .300 on fun days and to see if i can get the bug for f class after having a .308 for a number for years the have served me well and and i have pushed it to the limits as far as i can anyway . So rather than pour a lot of money into a pure target rifle and decide i was not for me buying a remington 700 in 300 winmag i can give it a good go and have a good action to build on rebarreling wont cost the earth plenty of stocks to choose from along with triggers . I have a decent enough scope to fit nightforce 5.5x25x56 nxs mlr back to recoil im well able for it after firing a lot of rounds out of a .338lm the .300 wm is a lot tamer imo plans are to get the gun in the next few weeks and let the build start then

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 129 ✭✭shootemall

i shoot a 300 win mag , i use a 26" (very heavy) barrel with a 1 in 10
    twist which i find perfect ,realy loves anything from 180-220 grain,
    as for what moa rail 20 moa cannever hurt but depends on what scope you plan to use at 1000 yards you will nead about 28 moa on adjustment on your scope if you are using a night force 5.5-22x56 you will probably
    have enough adjustment in the scope without the need for a 20moa rail
    (but why stop at 1000 yards:D)if you use a higher mag scope you will have less adjustment and will more than likely run out of click in and around the 1000 yard mark. as for mounts most quality mounts will be fine,( i use burris extreme with a combination of diferent nightforce scopes
    and have never had any problems ) as for kick if you are building a target rifle in 300 win mag it will be heavy so kick wont be as bad as you think
    it will feel something like a 308 with light barrel standard stock(typical deer stalking rifle) (although you wont be putting 5 round groups into the
    deer with your stalking rifle to see how tight it is)

i hope some of this helps
    when it comes to lenght and twist and weight what works for someone might not suit everyone but this works for me
    if you ever fancy a shot with my rig to see how it suits you before you
    spend your hard earned cash give me a shout.

shootemall wrote: »
    i shoot a 300 win mag , i use a 26" (very heavy) barrel with a 1 in 10
    twist which i find perfect ,realy loves anything from 180-220 grain,
    as for what moa rail 20 moa cannever hurt but depends on what scope you plan to use at 1000 yards you will nead about 28 moa on adjustment on your scope if you are using a night force 5.5-22x56 you will probably
    have enough adjustment in the scope without the need for a 20moa rail
    (but why stop at 1000 yards:D)if you use a higher mag scope you will have less adjustment and will more than likely run out of click in and around the 1000 yard mark. as for mounts most quality mounts will be fine,( i use burris extreme with a combination of diferent nightforce scopes
    and have never had any problems ) as for kick if you are building a target rifle in 300 win mag it will be heavy so kick wont be as bad as you think
    it will feel something like a 308 with light barrel standard stock(typical deer stalking rifle) (although you wont be putting 5 round groups into the
    deer with your stalking rifle to see how tight it is)

i hope some of this helps
    when it comes to lenght and twist and weight what works for someone might not suit everyone but this works for me
    if you ever fancy a shot with my rig to see how it suits you before you
    spend your hard earned cash give me a shout.

Thanks shootemall nice bit of info there and a dam fine rifle you have :cool:

Advertisement