Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Where do I get a lamb Milk feeder?

• 02-02-2012 8:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 956 ✭✭✭

I've been looking for a lamb milk feeder that will hang on the side of the gate for lambs to drink from outside in the field.

I intend to feed 5-10 lambs but I can't find any around! I really don't want one that is bucket shaped.

All comments welcome

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭rancher

I've been looking for a lamb milk feeder that will hang on the side of the gate for lambs to drink from outside in the field.

I intend to feed 5-10 lambs but I can't find any around! I really don't want one that is bucket shaped.

All comments welcome

Lamb teats probably fit those calf feeders and they hang on gates. Most people would have pets weaned on to meal at six weeks and your unlikely to to put them out in a field before that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Arrow in the Knee

rancher wrote: »
    Lamb teats probably fit those calf feeders and they hang on gates. Most people would have pets weaned on to meal at six weeks and your unlikely to to put them out in a field before that

I intend to have the lambs on the milk powder for a while and when they are out in the field as they are pedigree!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

All comments welcome

http://www.mullinahonecoop.ie/catalog/partdetail.aspx?partno=SHP00619

I intend to have the lambs on the milk powder for a while and when they are out in the field as they are pedigree!

We tried feeding extra milk to our pedigrees too and they got very potbellied which they never really lost, and they drink some amount of milk!!!!! I'd be interested to hear how they do or have you done it before,

I have done it before.

When we started out we would only feed them twice a day with milk powder and they got a fair drop but ended up with pot bellies and developed as 'runts'.

But now we feed them 3-4 times per day getting nearly 250ml of milk in a Ballygowen water bottle as they seem to drink from it better per feed!
    They haven't gotten 'pot bellies' yet on us.

Seems like regular feeding does the trick.

I often read about dairy men giving calves once a day feeding and wonder do the calves get 'pot bellies'?

• Advertisement

I have done it before.

When we started out we would only feed them twice a day with milk powder and they got a fair drop but ended up with pot bellies and developed as 'runts'.

But now we feed them 3-4 times per day getting nearly 250ml of milk in a Ballygowen water bottle as they seem to drink from it better per feed!
    They haven't gotten 'pot bellies' yet on us.

Seems like regular feeding does the trick.

I often read about dairy men giving calves once a day feeding and wonder do the calves get 'pot bellies'?

We're using different systems, I leave the milk with them all the time and they drink anytime they want

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭gazahayes

I used the volac ewe 2 feeder last year found it great. Serious thrive from it.

http://www.volac.ie/agriculture/product-by-species/sheep/product30/ewe-2-feeder

Seen them here and there.

How much are they?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭gazahayes

As far as i can remember it was around €180 It was great for me as i was doing a good bit of work so it only a case of mixing the milk and filling the bucket and check on them after that.

Advertisement