Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wifi issues on iPhone

• 02-02-2012 9:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭

I previously posted about having problems with wifi on my iPhone 4 after upgrading to ios5, but I thought I sorted them. But now it's back.

Basically, when it is working , the IP address in the network settings is 192.168.1.x, and when it's not working (i.e. safari cannot load a page, apps hang) it is because it has changed the IP address to 192.168.2.1. This generally seems to happen if I switch on my macbook and have that connected to the network at the same time. If I switch off my mac and forget network when the settings are wrong, and then reconnect the phone, it finds the correct IP address and stays connected. But if I switch the macbook back on, it switches the IP and stops working (but the wifi icon stays and it doesn't cut back to 3G automatically like it would if the router was disconnected). So yes, the workaround is don't use both at the same time, but then things like Viber and Whatsapp are pretty useless when you've the laptop on.

I'm a great believer in the power of google, but I can find nothing that helps. There is no MAC filtering etc and this only started after ios5, and restarted since I reconnected my PS3 to the network having taken it away for a weekend and amended the network settings. My wireless Belkin router is about 6 years old - do things like this need to be upgraded, or would that be a waste of time? I have the misfortune of being a Smart/ Digiweb broadband customer - the speed is great but bizarrely their customer support have told me several times they don't support wireless broadband. In 2012!

Any suggestions welcome! And if this would be better in broadband forum, please move.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,330 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Have you a time capsule? I've it plugged into my router and connect the mac's over 5ghz. Tried everything with my 2.4GHZ router but was constantly having problems. Not saying it will work but it's the only one that did for me. Interent is snappier on 5GHz.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

connect to the router on the iphone and go to settings>wifi and tap the blue arrow beside the ssid, copy the details under DHCP and then tap static replace the last number of the ip address with say 15

so after ip ya should have 192.168.1.15 subnet is 255.255.255.0 and router and dns are 192.168.1.254 that is if you have an eircom router

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭anotherlostie

Cheers for the advice on the static setting - it's still OK some time later so seems to have worked. If I switch to a different network will that have any implication in terms of how I connect to that network, or connecting back to my home network? I presume it's best to push out the last digit to ensure DHCP doesn't assign the same IP to anything else while the iPhone is not connected? I don't think I'll ever have 15 devices connected!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

As long as you don't forget your home network or reset network settings nothing will change. There's no particular reason for having 15 at the end. It could be anything up to 253 and still work the same but don't drop it below 5 or 6 if a few devices are being connected to the router

Advertisement