Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Put your money where your mouth is: Dublin West TD Expenses

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭kenon

Ciaran Ciaran Ciaran, the links arent working.

5/6 a side football

Coolmine Sports Centre - Wednesdays - 8pm

PM me for a game

Thread

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ciaran76

kenon wrote: »
    Ciaran Ciaran Ciaran, the links arent working.

Thanks ! Updated now !

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Why are so many of them €17604? Is that what they are 'allowed'? surely you just claim the expenses incurred, not take all of what is put aside to cover possible expenses?

The chances of me getting expenses I incur paid back to me is virtually nil!
    One law for the rich and all that....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭The Waltzing Consumer

A nice item brought up in the news today, expenses for TDs for December.

Now before I read it, I was going to guess how it would look

1) Leo at the top
    2) Followed closely by Joan Burton
    3) Followed by Patrick "attacking from the back, working class" Nulty
    4) With Joe at the bottom of the pile.

Shock shock shock! :eek:

The real stats for December
    http://www.oireachtas.ie/documents/members/PSA-D20111230.pdf

1) Patrick Nulty 3141 Euro
    2) Leo Varadkar - 1666 Euro
    Joint Last) Joe and Joan - 1000 Euro

Leo, Joan and Joe claimed the same amounts in November, but Patrick claimed just over 500 euro for the last three working days of October. He claimed half of what Joe and Joan claimed in a full month, in only three days!! Was the Dail even sitting on the 31st of October? Because if it was not, he claimed 500 euro in only two days.

Seems like he not only got elected dishonestly, he then left Labout dishonestly on this big working class crusade only to now be seen to doing the exact same things we expect of FF!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Diddler1977

1) Leo at the top

Leo, Joan and Joe claimed the same amounts in November, but Patrick claimed just over 500 euro for the last three working days of October. He claimed half of what Joe and Joan claimed in a full month, in only three days!! Was the Dail even sitting on the 31st of October? Because if it was not, he claimed 500 euro in only two days.

Seems like he not only got elected dishonestly, he then left Labout dishonestly on this big working class crusade only to now be seen to doing the exact same things we expect of FF!

They are entitled to claim these expenses. Expenses are to cover costs incurred when doing their job.

You don't expect them to out of pocket do you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭The Waltzing Consumer

They are entitled to claim these expenses. Expenses are to cover costs incurred when doing their job.

Please tell me how a TD from Dublin West, half an hour away from the Dail can rack up 500 Euro in expenses for three days work? Was that 90K salary not enough?

How does it make any sense that we have three TDs who claim under two thousand for one month, two of them in Government with ministerial posts, yet one new deputy who is all about values and working class can rack up a much higher bill?

He claimed, in three days, half of what Joan and Joe claimed in a month.

Are you not curious about that?

Please tell me how a TD from Dublin West, half an hour away from the Dail can rack up 500 Euro in expenses for three days work? Was that 90K salary not enough?

How does it make any sense that we have three TDs who claim under two thousand for one month, two of them in Government with ministerial posts, yet one new deputy who is all about values and working class can rack up a much higher bill?

What are you implying?

Surely after Ivor Callely was recently investigated and subsequently arrested for for using false receipts, you aren't suggesting there are illegal expenses being claimed by our local TDs?

I'm sure they are all claiming for justifiable expenses.

No, I'm not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭chucknorris

As Patrick is now regarded effectively independent, and in turn a party leader of his independence, he is now entitled to an additional 45k to operate on top of this salary.

I am not sure if he is actually claiming or drawing it down but 45K is 10k more than the average national wage. A previous poster asks should be be out of pocket, my response to that is, 90k alone is almost €5,500 a month net. He will not be out of pocket.

I wonder if his entitled pay now of 135k roughly - have we gained anything more from his Joe Higgins esc performance? I dont think we have.

Joan in my opinion is doing a fairly decent job. Allot of us knew the decisions they had to make would be tough. Cracking down on social welfare fraud and that sort of messing (something I feel strongly about) is an area she is tackling. Not to mention the levle of support and concession given to people who have NEVER worked a day in their life. She is tackling that culture.

She is a seasoned politician and she has used her mandate to make tough decisions.

Leo I feel is getting whacked by the media lately. That's good in one respect but he is a hard nosed politician. He does not do the nicey nicey. I admire that.

I do feel he is an arrogant twat on a personal basis but a straight talking politician and if there is one thing we all know, straight talking politicians get whacked in the media. You can understand why the majority of politicians never straight talk with the Irish mob mentality out there. You lose either way :)

In my opinion Joe Higgins has achieved f*** all in office. Ever. He has given out, moaned, slated, protested, mega-phoned and basically took a populist position but he never achieved anything in there. A fair share of people in DublinWest voted for him this time last year but a fair few asked him where the hell was he for a number of years, particularly during the boom time.

Joe Higgins and Patrick Nulty more recently can only operate in hardened times. They only know opposition as Patrick has shown recently. He went forward for election to a party and government in power and knew he couldn't stick for more than a few weeks. He bottled decisions that the dogs on the street knew were coming.

Their positions are honorable and they stick to them but our government were elected to make tough decisions and I would like them to do just that. I'd like to see our massive public service cut in numbers as it is far too large in certain areas for a country of our size and population.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Is there a point to this thread? How is it D15-related?

• Advertisement

Gaspode wrote: »
    Is there a point to this thread? How is it D15-related?

They are all D15 TD's that were extracted from the report by the original poster. Seems relevant to me. We should be keeping an eye on them and not simply having a thread during election time.

"1) Leo at the top
    4) With Joe at the bottom of the pile. "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

They are all D15 TD's that were extracted from the report by the original poster. Seems relevant to me. We should be keeping an eye on them and not simply having a thread during election time.

"1) Leo at the top
    4) With Joe at the bottom of the pile. "

Don't waste your time with this bs !
    They don't give a fcuk and we know that !
    And that's what they want !
    Is a unbreakable loop !

Put yourself in there,who do you think you'll pay first:your clothes,your ESB/Gas bill,your car insurance,your bus ticket/card OR the guys that made your election posters,your guys that put up the posters,the guys that took down the posters,your guys that sponsored your campaign ,your local newspapers ads and so on...!!

Same story every time,nothing changed...so far ! Probable after 2012 ! :)

rolion wrote: »
    Don't waste your time with this bs !
    They don't give a fcuk and we know that !
    And that's what they want !
    Is a unbreakable loop !

Put yourself in there,who do you think you'll pay first:your clothes,your ESB/Gas bill,your car insurance,your bus ticket/card OR the guys that made your election posters,your guys that put up the posters,the guys that took down the posters,your guys that sponsored your campaign ,your local newspapers ads and so on...!!

Same story every time,nothing changed...so far ! Probable after 2012 ! :)

They are public representatives and that means they are publicly accountable. The parties pays for the majority of the expenses and claims it back from the state, this fact.

i pay all my own bills, what's the big deal with that?

The party puts the candidate forward, the party pays for the poster people and posters not to mention sponsors, they are actually donators.

I've no idea where you are going. These people are claiming large expenses on top of a large salary. Do you think it is right?

In fact Patrick Nulty left his party in debt to the tune of around €25,000 after walking right after the by-election.

There's a nice little thought for you to ponder!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

There's a nice little thought for you to ponder!!!!

I leave others to do it...i kind of stopped 'ponder' any news since few good months ago !! Believe me,i feel so good...what's the point to get "loaded" with their bull****,one bull**** for them and another for us,the living/working/paying people !??

No guess,which side are part of ?? Let me answer that:normal people !? Then pay up your bills ,taxes and 'enjoy' your life !

PS
    don't take it personal with me,i see,touch,hear that this kind of political bull**** happens all over the world...so nothing new for me now !
    One story for you,another story for them !

rolion wrote: »
    I leave others to do it...i kind of stopped 'ponder' any news since few good months ago !! Believe me,i feel so good...what's the point to get "loaded" with their bull****,one bull**** for them and another for us,the living/working/paying people !??

No guess,which side are part of ?? Let me answer that:normal people !? Then pay up your bills ,taxes and 'enjoy' your life !

PS
    don't take it personal with me,i see,touch,hear that this kind of political bull**** happens all over the world...so nothing new for me now !
    One story for you,another story for them !

I'm 100% with you on that.

I just can't let something go :)

I'll be protesting in the Greyhound tomorrow evening :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭gerryo777

It's known as 'the gravy train' for a reason, they're all on it.

gerryo777 wrote: »
    It's known as 'the gravy train' for a reason, they're all on it.

Worth highlighting the TD's and/or Councillors locally who claim NO expenses - ever.

I will do on the weekend ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Harpic

Have you seen the 2011 expenses report for Fingal County Councillors?
    €700,000 for expenses for travelling to meetings,junkets abroad and one got money to finish his masters degree.
    We will never see the benefits,if any

What a scandal

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Harpic wrote: »
    Have you seen the 2011 expenses report for Fingal County Councillors?
    €700,000 for expenses for travelling to meetings,junkets abroad and one got money to finish his masters degree.
    We will never see the benefits,if any

What a scandal

Links?

I found this... http://www.fingalcoco.ie/YourLocalCouncil/LocalDemocracy/CouncillorsExpenditureElections2009/Councillors%20Allowances%20&%20Expenses%20Jan%20-%20Dec%202011.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭Turbulent Bill

I certainly wouldn't expect them to be out of pocket for expenses, but the idea of claiming them unvouched really grates me. In any other organisation you have to prove your spending and that it was necessary.

Looks at the December list, both Nulty's and Varadkar's expenses are vouched, whereas Burton's and Higgins' aren't. I've no idea how the system works, but the amounts and whether they are vouched or not don't really seem to correlate. That said, there are a lot of €1000.00 unvouched expenses on the list, a conveniently round number...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

I certainly wouldn't expect them to be out of pocket for expenses, but the idea of claiming them unvouched really grates me. In any other organisation you have to prove your spending and that it was necessary.

Very, very true. Lets have the same standards the rest of working world has to live to

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

1) Leo at the top

I don't hold any candle for any of the above, but I want to point out that as Varadkar and Burton are ministers the figures for expenses claimed are skewed as they can charge some expenses to their departments rather than the Dail. So maybe they're not so whiter than white as they may seem from those figures.

But anyway, a to hell with them all.

Advertisement