Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neutral Running shoe, any suggestions?

• 02-02-2012 9:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭

Hi
    Just wondering if anyone can recommend a good neutral running shoe for ladies? I have very high arches and underpronate, my Physio has recommended a neutral running shoe. I run around 25miles a week and need it specifically for between 5k to half marathon distance.
    Any advice much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭nellocono

I didnt think under pronators were advised to get neutral shoes...

Anyway, if you have just a mild pronation then Nike Lunar Glide 3 would suit you. I have them and they are like slippers - Provide great cushioning and support when/if you need it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

You are looking for a highly cushioned neutral shoe such as the Brooks Glycerin which facilitates the distribution of the impact forces away from the bones and joints of the two littlest toes.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭DOCO12

Thanks for the advice. I"ve always worn Asics and was looking into Asics Gel Ds sky speed 2, anyone use these?
    I'd be open to a change away from the Asics as well tho.

Have a pair of Sky Speed on my feet!

They are quite firm overall in the foot as they are designed for fast work or racing. Personally I don't think they would be ideal for a supinator.

It all depends on the volume of training that you are doing. If you are a very definite supinator then in ASICS really the NImbus or Kinsei are your answer for maximum cushioning.

Annother optionis the Hyper 33 which is more suple in the foot bed (ASICS Natural running shoe) that may work with your foot joints a little better. The Hyper 33 is only available in one store in Ireland at the moment though, we could get a pair sent to Bray or Ballymount if needed. Obviously the best is to try on a few different pairs and see what works best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

nellocono wrote: »
    I didnt think under pronators were advised to get neutral shoes...

Anyway, if you have just a mild pronation then Nike Lunar Glide 3 would suit you. I have them and they are like slippers - Provide great cushioning and support when/if you need it.

Lunarglide 3s are now a stability shoe. Quite the opposite of what an underpronator needs.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Mizuno wave rider.

menoscemo wrote: »
    Lunarglide 3s are now a stability shoe. Quite the opposite of what an underpronator needs.

http://running.competitor.com/2011/08/shoes-and-gear/shoe-review-nike-lunarglide-3_34492

supinator (underpronator) here reviews glide 3 and says that it's good for him. lunarglide is dynamic stability - works for both supination and pronation

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Scifo

Have a pair of Sky Speed on my feet!

They are quite firm overall in the foot as they are designed for fast work or racing. Personally I don't think they would be ideal for a supinator.

It all depends on the volume of training that you are doing. If you are a very definite supinator then in ASICS really the NImbus or Kinsei are your answer for maximum cushioning.

Annother optionis the Hyper 33 which is more suple in the foot bed (ASICS Natural running shoe) that may work with your foot joints a little better. The Hyper 33 is only available in one store in Ireland at the moment though, we could get a pair sent to Bray or Ballymount if needed. Obviously the best is to try on a few different pairs and see what works best.
    amphkingwest - do you know where I'd get a pair of the Hyper 33's. My wife is looking for a pair and I can't find any stockists in Ireland

Scifo wrote: »
    amphkingwest - do you know where I'd get a pair of the Hyper 33's. My wife is looking for a pair and I can't find any stockists in Ireland

Only place in Ireland is our shop in Oranmore 091483238. We took an ASICS exclusive on the launch of these.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭DOCO12

Scifo wrote: »

Only place in Ireland is our shop in Oranmore 091483238. We took an ASICS exclusive on the launch of these.

I bought a pair of these off Amphibian King about 10 days ago. Very comfy and light shoe for the first mile but finding my legs are tiring very early and I'm suffering aches in my shins which I've never experienced before. Is this normal ? As I'm after moving from a Ds trainer? So far I haven't managed going further than 6 miles in them.
    On a plus side getting plenty of compliments about them :)

• Advertisement

DOCO, didn't realise you had been in!

The Hypers are a fully neutral shoe with none of the Duomax or trusstic systems that are in DS Trainer or any of the other shoes.

ASICS are going for the full on natural effect allowing your own foot dynamics to come to the fore, rather than the shoe dictating / governing the mechanics.

Your body is most likely to be doing a lot more than it is usually doing in a natural / minimal shoe so you do need to ease into to. Not going to change things over night and I would expect a little muscle soreness for a couple of weeks as you adjust and rebuild distances.

If you're having any problems just give me a shout and I can go over it with you.

Advertisement