Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting an invention to the market place?

Options
  • 02-02-2012 10:07pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 85 ✭✭

Could someone please tell me what are the initial steps in getting an invention to the market place.

For example you come up with ideas, you make the prototypes and they all work exceptionally well.

I know about the patent search, but how can you get your invention "reviewed" to get a professional opinion on it's potential without your idea being taking from you.

Also, can you ever get an invention to the market place if you do not have thousands of Euro to invest in it? Are there any options for those who aren't so well off.

Thanks for any replies, much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,800 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

If you are really at that stage, you could get an Irish patent for a few thousand euros, and could then see if you could sell it or get funding to develop it further.

You need to find someone you can trust to give you their opinion. This really depends on you finding someone in your own extended circle of contacts. Generally speaking, potential investors will not sign a non-disclosure agreement in this sort of situation.

If you can demonstrate or even explain the benefit of your invention without actually showing how it works, that could open up an avenue too.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭MyAmber.net

I don't know those guys, but you can always ask them for advice:
    http://www.urdesign.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭thomas01

Hi,

I've personal experience in this area and have the bills to show for it!
    Most companies who provide assistance with feasibility studies and prototype designs will only be too happy to sign a non disclosure agreement. I got everyone I spoke with to sign one. Companies who you think may buy/invest in your invention will generally refuse to sign. They don't want to sign in case they have or may have a similar product in development.

I don't know at what stage your at, but try and make very rough prototypes yourself to test your ideas. You don't want to be spending €1000's on mocking up prototypes. To get best value for money, you need to have alot of the ground work done.

Another great resource is this website: http://www.trevorbaylisbrands.com/

Trevor Baylis invented the wind up radio and now assists with patents and establishing the commercial viability of new inventions. For a relatively small fee, he will examine your idea to see if it is of interest plus he will do a check on existing patents to see if it has already been registered. This can save you alot in the long run. If he thinks it is a good idea, he will offer to progress the idea for a share.

In relation to patents, don't be too worried about it just yet. It's a very expensive process and unless your idea is extremely inovative, it is possible that someone will just tweak your design and manufacture. The key is getting market saturation asap.

In my case, I was trying to develop a relatively low tech but innovative product. I got funding from the local enterprise board. It cost me approx. €10k incl VAT and before grant aid to get a functioning prototype and report. Despite best efforts, I couldn't get it patented. Still waiting for some inspiration.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 85 ✭✭ByronB

Thanks for the link to urdesign.ie, i have sent them an email anyway to maybe organise a meeting and see what they're made of.

Thomas it sounds like you have a lot of experience yeah, and i never thought of non-disclosure agreements, do you have to get these forms from somewhere or can you just print them off?

My strong points are actually coming up with ideas and making the prototypes, because they all work so well but my weak points are getting them out there and making the move :D, hopefully some decent research now will give me that push.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭thomas01

There is an inventors pack on the Trevor Bayliss website which has a non disclosure agreement included. You could tweak this. Also, one of the development companies fowarded me a few templates to choose from.
    If you send me a pm, I'll forward you a copy on Monday.

I really would consider approaching Trevoy Baylis Brands. Some Irish inventors have been taken on by him. If he is positive about your idea, it would give you a great boost. It would also be a great independent report to produce to a potential investor.

One thing to be careful of if you do approach a product development company, is their policy on any IP which arises from their work. I got it excluded from my agreement on the basis that I would informally acknowledge any IP they created in relation to my product. Giving them a share of any IP they come up with isn't necessarily a bad thing provided that you clearly set out what percentage interest they will have. If your product is sucessful, a wooly agreement will be a major off put to investors.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭blue4ever

thomas01

You know what, rather than simply stick the 'thumbs up' on your post(s) I think its only fair to type-

Possibly one of the most helpful and selfless replies I've seen in a long time.

Maith an buachaill

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭moonlighting

since you don't have much money starting off like myself forget about getting outside help as much as possible.

even though designing and inventing a product is hard, its easy compared to the financial hassle,patenting ,manufacturing and selling of a product.

Advertisement