Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

painting on rational windows

• 02-02-2012 10:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39

Hi, I have 10 year old rational windows and doors (yellow pine) that are badly in need of painting. There is 20 units in total. Most just need freshening up, however a couple that have been getting most of the weather have gone a greyish colour in spots as has the front door. I know i should go to Rational and ask their advice however i just wanted to try here to see if anyone had similar problem/solution. My questions are
    1, What paint is suitable/compatible with Rational Timber
    2, Would I need to under coat
    3, Would I need to sand the grey areas
    4, Anyone know a reputable painter that would take on this type of
    job.
    Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭annieoburns

Varnish not paint, pity to lose the natural wood finish and yes sanding of all will be required especially 'grey areas'. It would help to know of area you live in to recommend a painter! A good paint store will recommend a product or a prof painter would supply same. A couple of coats would be needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 sonofsteptoe

Hi, Thanks for Reply. Sorry Varnish is what I meant, absolutely don't want to lose the natural look. I'm in Kildare.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Dublinmann

you dont put varnish on rationel windows .. Aqua top it is like a varnish.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 sonofsteptoe

Thanks for replies, I was given some of that stuff (aqua top) from a friend in Edenderry but found it difficult to apply and not great finish ( probably more to do with my technique) Sample area didn't turn out as I would have hoped. I've seen these windows around the country and they all seem to suffer with a greying of the exposed areas so i was hoping someone would have already dealt with it and was happy with results. Iknow prevention is better than cure but this is a problem I have inherited. Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Macker91

As far as I know its not a varnish you need. Rationel products require a water based product. Unfortunately they need to be treated quite regularly like every two years or so. You should ring Rationel and ask their advice and I am sure they would be able to recommend a painter that could do it for you.

• Advertisement
Advertisement