Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Buying and registering a car

Options
  • 02-02-2012 10:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

hey , i want to ask a question , i am buying a car tomorrow in ireland but i am wondering because the car is on french plates and its registered in france so i was thinking if when i buy it do i have any time of registering the car like 30 days to register it and if i can drive it from the persons house i am buying the car from to my house , and i was thinking aswell on the fines for not having a taxed and insured car , for example if i am driving around cork city and i get stoped by the garda what will they do to me , all i know is that they can confiscate the car what else ? has it ever happened to you ? or anyone you know ? , thanks :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

The onus would have been on the owner to have registered it upon bringing it in.
    Therefore if you're caught driving it, it doesnt make any odds how long youve had it, you're still in the wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

If you're stopped well ....

be prepared to have it seized. As an Irish resident you are not allowed to drive a foreign reg car here except under certain very limited circumstances. You could receive a hefty fine to get your car back or you could lose the car entirely.

If you are not insured to drive the car even for the trip home you could be prosecuted for that too. Whatever about driving a foreign reg it'd be a very rare Garda that will let you off for an offence as serious as no insurance.

The basic rules for importing a car are summarised here but your situation could be a little more complicated because the car is already here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

A bill of sale with a date within 7 days will keep the vultures happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

How long has the car been in Ireland ?, has VRT been paid,if not it will have to paid before it can be registered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Lukasz112

the car has been here for about a year so i think im not going to buy it because it will be a lot of trouble with it to register and all , thanks for the help guys

• Advertisement
Advertisement