Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tips for designing a tiny kitchen

Options
  • 02-02-2012 10:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,543 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

currently pricing up a renovation job and am looking for some tips and an idea of price on putting in a compact kitchen. is there anything you have seen before that helps save space? bear in mind there is a cast iron fireplace in there that we would like to keep in. The style we would be going for would be traditional country with wooden counter top and belfast sink. radiator will be taken out and replaced with tall rad probably on the fireplace wall. house is based in meath. rough idea of cost would be appreciated. room will be gutted and fully slabbed and plumbed

The room is only 3.6m x 2.3m

Any links to ideas or your own experiences would be great

BB25B2355DF04A0D91229F2D367B4141-0000327166-0002725448-00640L-A6D7BD0947E54D298B45042ED0A43888.jpg

E5C5836C3E064014A33DA8FA2030605E-0000327166-0002725447-00640L-8B73FF01D47046819D2FCE5D195A97BA.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,543 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Your window seems a bit low to the floor.To be able to use that end of the room for units or to be more persize the use under the window area for units.

IMO Maybe it would be a good idea to plan the kitchens units lay out before obtaing quotes.

thanks georgejetson. It didn't occur to me that the window was low.initially I was thinking of putting the sink infront of the window but I see now how this may not work. thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 ewanalex

Will you be leaving the radiator where it is?
    My idea would involve open plan storage shelves either side of the fire place and try and incorporate as much storage in that space as possible even if it means it juts out slightly, then i would put a window seat in at the window wall with storage surrounding this also.
    What is the arrangements for eating/dining? does this need to be done in this room too? I would play with the layout, or using the full back wall for a "bank" of units but youre going to be limited on countertop space due to the open fire.

Just some thoughts.....

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭ccsolar

Hi paddy
    Do a drawing of the kitchen and include the window, fireplace and all measurements.
    Go to B&Q where they will do you a plan, drawing, pictures of what your kitchen will look like.

Cc

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭mrswalton

I would go to ikea with your dimensions and get them to plan it with you. They are genius in terms of space saving. Even if you live far away from them, you will be amazed.

They have a brilliant kitchen table in there at the moment. It has 4 narrow drawers (from table top to floor) and the table top folds down on both sides so it becomes only about 1ft x 3ft unit. I think its excellent.

I have a small country kitchen and most of my walls are filled with various open shallow units. (Room too small to have full depth cupboards) I also like the look and the handyness of being able to see everything. I also have a big old book case with a glass front that houses most of my provisions. The glass front keeps the dust from the range out and needs a lot less cleaning than the open units.

It also saves cupboard space to have saucepans suspended from a rack, from the ceiling.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,543 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

mrswalton wrote: »
    I would go to ikea with your dimensions and get them to plan it with you. They are genius in terms of space saving. Even if you live far away from them, you will be amazed.

They have a brilliant kitchen table in there at the moment. It has 4 narrow drawers (from table top to floor) and the table top folds down on both sides so it becomes only about 1ft x 3ft unit. I think its excellent.

I have a small country kitchen and most of my walls are filled with various open shallow units. (Room too small to have full depth cupboards) I also like the look and the handyness of being able to see everything. I also have a big old book case with a glass front that houses most of my provisions. The glass front keeps the dust from the range out and needs a lot less cleaning than the open units.

It also saves cupboard space to have saucepans suspended from a rack, from the ceiling.

sounds great mrs. walton!

• Advertisement
Advertisement