Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pass Physics vs. Honours Physics vs. Geography.

• 02-02-2012 10:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭

Okay, so I'm in transition year, and I got 25% in my honours Physics Christmas test, and 76% in my pass Physics Christmas test (We did two), and my physics teacher is ADAMANT that I should do pass Physics for the Leaving Cert. :mad:

I'm just wondering if it's too early to be (forced :mad:) to choose what level to be doing as I had less than 3 months experience with physics at that point.

Also, the bare minimum I'd want if I did honours is a C3 because I need 3 of them to do Computer Science in UCC, and if I do pass physics I'll only have 3 honours subjects, and one of them I'm fairly dodgy with...

Also, I'm considering changing to Geography, which I got an A in the JC in, but I have no interest in it. and it wouldn't be relevant to anything I'd want to do in college.

All I'm looking for is some advice at the moment...

Thank you

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Your teacher can't *force* you to do pass physics, at the end of the day the decision is yours to make (although they may have opinions).

How do you think you'd cope with honours physics? Geography is a large course, you might do better by sticking with physics - the difference between pass physics and honours physics isn't all that huge - same material (give or take one or two honours-only chapters), just harder questions with honours!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭m0ynihan

I'm in transition year. Which, I think, is too early to be thinking about the Leaving Cert, it should really be about learning in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭osullic

Leaving Cert physics pass or honours is as relevant as geography to a computer science degree.
    Just do geography as you seem to have an aptitude for it.

If you're concerned about relevance perhaps you should learn how to program, learn C++ or java.

I'd learn C++ if I was you even if you don't use it in college its a really handy language and will help you with everything you do in university.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭m0ynihan

osullic wrote: »
    Leaving Cert physics pass or honours is as relevant as geography to a computer science degree.

It's just the electronics that I thought made it more relevant...

So basically it's a choice between what I'd like and what I'd do better in...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

What do you find difficult about physics? Is it just the learning or the maths or the formulae or all of the above?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

osullic wrote: »
    Just do geography as you seem to have an aptitude for it.

If you're concerned about relevance perhaps you should learn how to program, learn C++ or java.

I'd learn C++ if I was you even if you don't use it in college its a really handy language and will help you with everything you do in university.
    actually physics is somewhat relevant, there's a good amount of electronics on the course. you're using logic in physics too, understanding concepts is important, the type of thinking is much more relevant to computer science.

you really can't judge whether to do pass or honours in TY. Different topics within the course are completely different, and after 3 months there's no way you've covered enough to make that call. For example I love heat and mechanics but I'm not keen on waves, there's quite a bit of choice in the paper so I should be able to mostly avoid waves if I don't fully come to terms with them before the LC.

at the end of the day if you like physics and if you're interested in it, you'll probably end up doing better in it than you would in something you'll get bored of. Definitely don't make any decision regarding levels until late fifth year at the earliest! you have nothing to lose, it's essentially the same material you'll be covering.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Lombardo86

I did both subjects for LC and then studied computer science.. the electronics pieces of the courses usually aren't core and are optional modules you can take.

My own advice would be in agreement with a few people above. If you need the points to do the course and are unsure about getting them from your other higher subjects etc i say go for Geography.

I picked physics and chemistry for LC whereas most studied business and Biology for the easier points. It didn't matter to me because at the time i thought i would do something with science so i needed those subjects, but looking back now i probably could have gotten 40-50+ points extra taking the 'easier options'.

In answer to your other question i dont think you should be forced to take pass physics now, nobody pays half as much attention in TY as they would in later years. 76% in pass with a bit of work will definitely translate to a good grade in higher, i stress with some work though.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 DreamingAgain

DEFINITELY DON'T drop to pass physics until at least 6th year!It's your leaving cert and your future not your teacher's.In a few years you'll be happier that you gave honours a proper chance than dropping straight away simply because someone else told you to.I do geography and I chose it because I did well in the junior cert in it but I don't have any interest in it whatsoever.It's actually a really long course and it's not easy.I wish I chose a subject I'd enjoy more so pick a subject you have an interest in.Geography is way harder at leaving cert!
    Good luck

Advertisement