Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WERs waste - Etag/Prepay option adding monthly charge

Options
  • 02-02-2012 10:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭

Just got a letter in from WERs to say that they are now going to charge five euro per month service charge to those on the pay as you go option. Only a few months ago they sent a letter to introduce the penalty fees for bins over a certain weight at collection.
    Getting a bit annoyed the way they can just introduce fees and charges as it suits them.
    They have 'offset' the latest charge by knocking 50 cent of the recycle bin lift charge, back down to 4.50 per lift.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

They also have new trucks that can lift both bins at the same time so that halfs the run and doubles their money.

Having said all that waste is expensive to get rid of, and it will only get more and more expensive. I out out my bins around once a month now, it's up to the end user to reduce their costs by producing less waste.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭hoody

Fairly irritated by this as the pay per pick really suited us - our bins have just been emptied for the first time in about 2 months - problem is that I would still say they are the cheapest provider locally. That would want to be the last hike for a while though, twice in 6 months is always going to be a bit of a sickener.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭erkifino

Yeah, got that letter today. Would have been nice to get more than few hours notice. The weight allowance has gone up which as well as the reduction in recycling lift shows at least they are trying to be fair... Not happy either but sure...

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭bagels

The government is hitting us for a €100 charge for services and Wers then charge us an extra €60 per annum.
    What are we taken for at all?

We're very careful about our recycling & composting so only need our refuse bin emptied every two months or so.
    This costs us approx €60 but now Wers have effectively doubled the price.
    I don't believe their costs have doubled so there's no justification for the 100% price increase.

The local authority promoted Wers Etag/Prepay Option as especially suitable for those who couldn't afford the full service.
    What say they now?

bagels wrote: »
    I don't believe their costs have doubled so there's no justification for the 100% price increase.
    I would say WERS have reduced their cost over the years in everything but one area, there's no where to put the rubbish. The cost of getting rid of it will always increase even if they automated the whole process and made it as efficient as possible there's only so much room for rubbish in a pit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭EAFC_rdfl

I wonder what will they do if my account hasnt been topped up when they come to lift the monthly fee? Will it put my account in a negative state, can they do that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭sgthighway

Landfill charges are gone up 60%. They are all passing this on to us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭kerryted

EAFC_rdfl wrote: »
    I wonder what will they do if my account hasnt been topped up when they come to lift the monthly fee? Will it put my account in a negative state, can they do that?

Yes they can and will do this as I went over there weight limit with a bin full of nappies and got charged around 35 euro it put me in debit by 15 euro or so they say they will never see it as i told them to close down my account as the young lad is out of nappies and i take all my recyclable waste to galway co council recycle center in tuam the hens take care of all the kitchen scraps compost all the peelings and the stove takes care of the rest its easy when every one in the house is thinking the 3 Rs Reduce, Reuse and Recycle
    PS i have no problem with wers waste they provide a good service if you can afford to pay it and employ a lot of local people

• Registered Users Posts: 23 peewee1512

Hi all,

I use WERS but I am on the standard monthly charge option of £21.60 pm (Exact same as Barna). I find them absolutely fantastic- fortnightly collection, send me a free text message to remind me to put the bins out and if I have extra bags of rubbish or big boxs they never have a problem in taking them.

I understand the increase in charges but its hard for everyone these days but the cost of disposing the rubbish for WERS is also increasing so as customers have to take the hit.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭LFC Murphy

peewee1512 wrote: »
    send me a free text message to remind me to put the bins

I don't get a txt!

• Advertisement

WERS send a text like that the day after it's too late to top up.

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭podge1979

Hi all,

I use WERS but I am on the standard monthly charge option of £21.60 pm (Exact same as Barna). I find them absolutely fantastic- fortnightly collection, send me a free text message to remind me to put the bins out and if I have extra bags of rubbish or big boxs they never have a problem in taking them.

I understand the increase in charges but its hard for everyone these days but the cost of disposing the rubbish for WERS is also increasing so as customers have to take the hit.

I've been with them 3 months and won't be much longer they picked up our bins less than a third of the times they should and that's only when we have rung to remind them. The reminder text apparently has stopped aswell due to technical glich, we got a reminder for the first pick up but they still never turned up, and tried to blame us saying the bins weren't out when they were.

Have made the best part of 10 calls to the customer service and they promised it would be sorted 3 months on still not sorted and me bins are in the drive still.

Stay away from wers

I find them absolutely fantastic- fortnightly collection,
    How is a fortnightly collection better than the weekly collection they used to do? I don't see how it could be seen as anything other than an inconvenience.

Advertisement