Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

strength training equipment to buy

Options
  • 02-02-2012 11:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭

I have searched the forum and could not see a previous post, so sorry if this has been posted in the past.

Im looking to get some strength training equipment and in particular I need a squat rack. The bench/squat rack I currently have cant take much more weight, its only a standard bench. Its limit is 80kg and I am lifting above that on all lifts.

H & F Fitness near the NCT test centre in Waterford was a place where I bought a few things in the past, but I was told that it has closed down. So does anybody have any other suggestions for the Waterford/Tipperary area? I would prefer to pick the gear up if possible instead of online ordering.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Nypd

alan27 wrote: »
    I have searched the forum and could not see a previous post, so sorry if this has been posted in the past.

Im looking to get some strength training equipment and in particular I need a squat rack. The bench/squat rack I currently have cant take much more weight, its only a standard bench. Its limit is 80kg and I am lifting above that on all lifts.

H & F Fitness near the NCT test centre in Waterford was a place where I bought a few things in the past, but I was told that it has closed down. So does anybody have any other suggestions for the Waterford/Tipperary area? I would prefer to pick the gear up if possible instead of online ordering.

Tony Montana is s guy in Tramore who supplies gym equipment, as far as I know he is based down in those little shops before the sand dunes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Dan133269

BEEFCAKE!!!! :D

That H & F place was ridiculously expensive. Your best bet I think is to look on adverts.ie or donedeal.ie. You could pick up some great bargains there, 2nd hand or even practically new. 2nd hand squat rack doesn't make any difference really.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭alan27

Thanks for the replies I will check out that place in tramore. Its only when I dont need equipment that adverts and donedeal have great ads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

Thanks for the replies I will check out that place in tramore. Its only when I dont need equipment that adverts and donedeal have great ads.
    join a gym will cost ya less in long run, there great one in six cross roads goldstone gym and fitness

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭Teebor15

join a gym will cost ya less in long run, there great one in six cross roads goldstone gym and fitness

How do you come to that conclusion? You could equip a pretty decent home gym for 1200 euro that would last 10-20 years for the price of 3 years in Goldstone.

• Advertisement

Teebor15 wrote: »
    How do you come to that conclusion? You could equip a pretty decent home gym for 1200 euro that would last 10-20 years for the price of 3 years in Goldstone.
    yeah!! if ya don,t wanna gain size and strength and stay the same, ooh and pay out for repairs it the equipment breaks, don,t think soooooo!!!

You could get a proper power rack with lat tower, decent bench, 180kg olympic weight set, dumbell handles plus some other nice extra accessories for about 1000 euro. Get your self some 3/4 inch rubber cow mats for 50 quid each and you'll have all you'll ever need. And you trust me this stuff is the best bang for buck gear out there. It will last years and is built from solid steel and will never need "repairs".

Try IrishLifting.com for the above and easyfix.ie for the mats..i found both very good to deal with.
    yeah!! if ya don,t wanna gain size and strength and stay the same, ooh and pay out for repairs it the equipment breaks, don,t think soooooo!!!

What are you on about?..go back to goldstone and play on your cross trainer and one dimensional weight machines! dont forget your lycra workout gear and sweatbands!

go way boy ya don,t even know me am doin weight lifting years, all that equipment is grand yeah if ya have heck of a lot of space and cash to waste! !

go way boy ya don,t even know me am doin weight lifting years!

Does'nt mean much..just cause your doing it years does'nt mean you know what your doing. I've seen plenty of people going to gyms for years and not getting anywhere..remember..train smart!
    all that equipment is grand yeah if ya have heck of a lot of space

so a 7ft olympic bar with maybe a 1.5 space each side to put on the weights. Depth of rack about 4 maybe 5 foot plus a few feet in front to give you abit of space. 10ft x 8ft in total..size of a small bedroom or a corner of a garage = "a heck of alot of space..don't think sooooo!!
    cash to waste! !

Did we not go through this already..Goldstone gym membership 399euro x 20 years = 7980 euro (thats if their prices stay the same) versus 1200 euro for your own kit in your own space thats made of just pure heavy gauge steel that will last a life time..no more travelling to gym (petrol saved) no more waiting for other "ex infantry" types to finsh doing bicep curls in the power rack" whilst staring at their "guns"!

Seems a no brainer to me!..but i know you wont be able to admit you got it wrong..so..go on..keep digging!

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭membersonly

Also, think of all those spray tans you can get with the money you'll save.

• Advertisement

That exactly the reason why I want to get a few pieces of stronger equipment. Travelling to and from the gym takes time and petrol, then when ya get there you could have to wait to get on a rack. Some gyms may have an endless amount of racks but not ones I have been at in the past.

Personally I like to know that when I get home I know the rack is free to use and I get my stuff done without having to drive or wait for the rack to be free. Home gyms may not have the vast range of equipment available as commercial gyms. But personally having a rack, bench and free weights is more than enough. If I want cardio I will run and cycle outside for free, just my opinion.

That exactly the reason why I want to get a few pieces of stronger equipment. Travelling to and from the gym takes time and petrol, then when ya get there you could have to wait to get on a rack. Some gyms may have an endless amount of racks but not ones I have been at in the past.

Personally I like to know that when I get home I know the rack is free to use and I get my stuff done without having to drive or wait for the rack to be free. Home gyms may not have the vast range of equipment available as commercial gyms. But personally having a rack, bench and free weights is more than enough. If I want cardio I will run and cycle outside for free, just my opinion.
    can,t argue with ya there, tis all about what time ya hit the gym to be able to do a hassle free workout

• Closed Accounts Posts: 694 ✭✭✭Tragamin2k2

strong post brah repped

adverts and done deal are your best bets. It would be very very stupid to buy new gear when you can get it online for a fraction of the cost.

My girlfriend just got a class treadmill off done deal for 180 euro after looking in shops at ones that cost well over 600.

Does'nt mean much..just cause your doing it years does'nt mean you know what your doing. I've seen plenty of people going to gyms for years and not getting anywhere..remember..train smart!

so a 7ft olympic bar with maybe a 1.5 space each side to put on the weights. Depth of rack about 4 maybe 5 foot plus a few feet in front to give you abit of space. 10ft x 8ft in total..size of a small bedroom or a corner of a garage = "a heck of alot of space..don't think sooooo!!

Did we not go through this already..Goldstone gym membership 399euro x 20 years = 7980 euro (thats if their prices stay the same) versus 1200 euro for your own kit in your own space thats made of just pure heavy gauge steel that will last a life time..no more travelling to gym (petrol saved) no more waiting for other "ex infantry" types to finsh doing bicep curls in the power rack" whilst staring at their "guns"!

Seems a no brainer to me!..but i know you wont be able to admit you got it wrong..so..go on..keep digging!
    haha come here to me boy i,ve 17inch arms on me must be doin something wrong there, maybe they should be bigger, as i said ya don,t know me, but if your taking part in the strongman comp in carrick in april ya might come up against me

haha come here to me boy

Is that what they said to you in prison!
    i,ve 17inch arms on me

Yeah..theres this big fat guy at work who has 17 inch arms too..obesity is a growing problem in this country..remember what i said..train smart!
    carrick

Er..ok!

adverts and done deal are your best bets. It would be very very stupid to buy new gear when you can get it online for a fraction of the cost.

To say that it would be very very stupid is probably abit extreme..but your dead right say check there first..they dont come along to often though.
    My girlfriend just got a class treadmill off done deal for 180 euro after looking in shops at ones that cost well over 600.

Weights, bars and racks you should have no problem as what you see is what you get and good stuff is virtually indestructable. But Treadmills or anything electrical your taking a risk. But then again if you have a good make and dont hammer it to hard its certainly worth a punt if your saving that much against the same model new in the shops.

haha come here to me boy i,ve 17inch arms on me must be doin something wrong there, maybe they should be bigger, as i said ya don,t know me, but if your taking part in the strongman comp in carrick in april ya might come up against me

I don't even do weights and my arms are longer than that! You're doing it wrong I'd say.

teebor ya loves that multiquote link so ya do boy, go back to whatever hole ya fell out of and don,t be annoying me ya smartarse, ya say train smart ya don,t know anything about my training to even comment and i certainly don,t go bragging like you do on the health and fitness forum "guess what i can lift" bet ya stare at yourself in the mirror everyday thinking "oh i,m only gorgeous", your username should be johnny bravo not teebor

I don't even do weights and my arms are longer than that! You're doing it wrong I'd say.
    not length!!! circumference!!!!

• Advertisement

strongman comp in carrick in april

Mite see you there mate, I'm up here.

as I said done deal and adverts have stuff when im not interested. Been checking it with two months now and nothing yet lol.

Mite see you there mate, I'm up here.
    ya might boy, razer will be running a good comp and has james fennelly competing in it also, be a great day out(if it aint raining)

ya raining like the last one last summer. is razor MC he sure can do the talking required for it!

he is indeed and organiser of it, that man was some size in his prime bout twelve years ago

he is indeed and organiser of it, that man was some size in his prime bout twelve years ago

Big cirumference? If so, how big?

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭honeybadger

dont forget about the lil power ball either lads :)

Ya he has alot of the awards on the wall in his gym.

i certainly don,t go bragging like you do on the health and fitness forum

No you do your bragging here!
    haha come here to me boy i,ve 17inch arms on me

Look..yes i find use multi quote useful and i like a bit of banter but i dont take it serious..so we'll leave it that unless you want the last word then go for it..you must being doing something right if your entering a stong man competion..might try it sometime..best of luck in Carrick.

btw i'm still right on getting your own kit over gym!!!:)

• Advertisement

btw i'm still right on getting your own kit over gym!!!:)
    ok you win lol thanks boy

Advertisement