Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maths paper 2 project maths question?

• 03-02-2012 12:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭

I don't mind paper 2 so far it seems okay.
    The only thing which bothers me is the space with the boxes we have to use to show all our workings. The space can be a little small and I don't like writing in the boxes. Sometimes I find it just confuses me and I write in pencil as I don't want to make mistakes. I really hate writing in boxes, I wouldn't mind as much if it was a blank space . Even then the boxes are quite small and I end up skipping certain steps in order to keep the space but then you lose marks.

Could you just get paper provided instead and do answers on that?
    I find the boxes really annoying, I'd much prefer to just do it on the usual paper provided.

anyone else hate the answer boxes?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

Well, here's what the SEC says about it in their letter to schools:

"Candidates must write their answers on this booklet, and marks may be forfeited if they do not do so. However, candidates may use additional stationery if required."

So, you'd better start the answer where it's supposed to be, but don't worry about the space, as you're allowed to continue at the back of the booklet or on an extra sheet if you need to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

As far as I know you can't have ordinary paper, they'll give you more paper with boxes. I hate it too, it's absolutely ridiculous.
    Just a tip - you'd be better off not writing in pencil in the leaving cert. Pencil can fade over time. if you're rubbing things out that's a complete waste of time, and if you leave something on the page with just a line through it, if it's right you'll still get marks for it, whereas if you rub something out and it turns out it was right you'll get nothing for it.

Urgh I have my paper 2 pre tomorrow and I'm going to have to deal with the boxes, I haven't used paper with boxes since primary school.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

Aw that sucks, I don't mind the spaces too much it's mainly the boxes.
    My writing doesn't look good in them and I end up making mistakes.
    I don't get why we can't just write on normal paper like paper 1 .Or even have bigger spaces without boxes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

finality wrote: »
    As far as I know you can't have ordinary paper, they'll give you more paper with boxes.

God forbid that you might actually have bothered to read the SEC's document (which I linked to) before making this statement.

It says:
    "... In common with the examinations in other subjects, supplementary four-page answer-sheets (horizontally ruled) will be available. Squared paper will also be available. Please note that there will be no change to the style of squared paper available on loose sheets in the examination. That is, supplementary paper ruled at 5 mm intervals will not be available."

So, the situation is the exact opposite of what you suggested - you can't get more paper with boxes; you can get more paper with horizontal lines (and the regular graph paper that was always there).

God forbid that you might actually have bothered to read the SEC's document (which I linked to) before making this statement.

It says:
    "... In common with the examinations in other subjects, supplementary four-page answer-sheets (horizontally ruled) will be available. Squared paper will also be available. Please note that there will be no change to the style of squared paper available on loose sheets in the examination. That is, supplementary paper ruled at 5 mm intervals will not be available."

So, the situation is the exact opposite of what you suggested - you can't get more paper with boxes; you can get more paper with horizontal lines (and the regular graph paper that was always there).

Oh I'm sorry, did I offend you? I was going on what I had been told, I sincerely apologise for my ignorance.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

The original pm Maths papers had ruled lines provided. The students requested squared sections instead in a survey based on that initial paper.

My advice would be to practice with it. 2e shops and aldi/lidl often have cheap squared copies of a similar size and that might help with getting used to it.

From a correctors point of view, start it on the paper but if you run out of space move to a booklet/extra paper numbering your work clearly!

Actually, one thing that is very off-putting about the spaces provided is the way they seem to indicate how long the questions should be. There was a very small space provided for a question today and as a result I didn't do the question the way I was thinking of approaching it, because I thought it'd end up being much too long and so I thought "there must be a shorter way to do this that I'm missing, if I attempt it that way I'll run out of space". I know that's my own fault and I shouldn't think like that, but it did annoy me a bit. Guess I'll know better for the LC! :) I'm sure I'm not the only one to think like that though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 cianserian

agreed! i thought i was the only person who gave a crap about the paper! i get soo frustrated using it! no matter what they say about having loads of extra space if needed, u still will naturally try to fit ur answer in the space provided. there's something about the lack of freedom that just gets on my nerves doing paper two. wish they would change it, i dont see why its only paper two and not paper one (thank god!!)....rant over :)

cianserian wrote: »
    agreed! i thought i was the only person who gave a crap about the paper! i get soo frustrated using it! no matter what they say about having loads of extra space if needed, u still will naturally try to fit ur answer in the space provided. there's something about the lack of freedom that just gets on my nerves doing paper two. wish they would change it, i dont see why its only paper two and not paper one (thank god!!)....rant over :)

I'm so untidy in maths, my writing is generally all over the place and being made to slot it into tiny boxes slows me down so much too...and if you write on the lines it becomes illegible and confusing D:

I really don't think I'm cut out for this thread, it's making me too angry...unleashing all my pent up frustrations on the boxed paper :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭Smithwicks Man

It's a complete and utter joke. It's not as if it makes things easier for correctors either or something like that. There's just no reason for it whatsoever. As i the exam wasn't difficult without extra pressure like this being added for no reason except idiocy.

• Advertisement
Advertisement